Alcohol and sport

Started by T00ts, July 13, 2021, 12:42:00 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Boat Race was one popular drinking game during my student days some 20 years ago — though its adherents were mainly Anglo-Saxon. And some were frequently slaughtered...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

HDQQ

Actually alcohol sports would be quite fun - where the players get tanked up before the game of whatever. Drunk rugby, for example, would be a lot more entertaining than normal rugby. Drunk boxing or drunk wrestling would be hilarious. And what about drunk horse racing, where the horses and riders all get drunk?
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 14, 2021, 08:12:49 AM

In the same year that Blair's kid was brought home by special branch after having been found puking his guts up in Piccadilly Circus after getting hammered at the age of 16 at an "I've finished my O levels" party, and JackbSteaws l dveas chucked out of school for dealing pot ....

I made the observation that my daughter had just done HER GCSEs and when invited by her classmates to come with them to get (illegally) wrecked, SHE said "nah, if I wanted a drink I'd ask dad if I can drink the stuff at home ...."

Shocked pause followed by "your dad let's you drink at home ...."

"Hell yeah. Doesn't yours"

(The law stated then, and probably still does state, the minimum age to drink alcohol in the home is FIVE)

I knew the kid. Nice enough lad. The thing that got me was not that he got ratarsed, but that his parents fell for the old, "celebrating the end of the GCSEs" line.

The GCSEs had been over for two months but the Blairs never seemed to have twigged it. Tony Blair wasn't as smart as he made out.
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on July 14, 2021, 11:19:24 AM
That isn't true. They played to a draw - they were equal. Italy's goal was scrappy and just luck! They need to rethink penalty shoot outs it's just not a good way to decide a final.

Italy over the course of the tournament were the best team ,playing some of the toughest opponents , and rightly won the final in the end.

You say you understand the rules of football then go on to make a comment that doesn't make sense.

In a cup game in the knock out stages , there has to be a winner and we have moved of from the sixties were we used to toss a coin to decide.

We have long used penalties to decide , and has been discussed over the years you English just aren't very good at them.

Indeed you have a manager whose fame in the world of football has been missing a penalty , he has made a career out of being a failure.

So I'm not sure what you are on about toots.

Italy won and were the better team in the final.end of story.

You can't re write history in this case simply because you don't like the result.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on July 14, 2021, 10:06:05 AM
Well the finger is usually pointed at footie fans and much is made (John  :P ) about wrong shaped balls and how different it all is.

It's not,rugby clubs have gone on tour causing as much mayhem wrecking places,when those who follow rugger at twickers behave like that they call it youthful high jinks,footie fans are lower class scrotes who should be locked up and throw away the key.

Cricket of course is a gentlemans sport.....erm no watching a match sponsored by Gillette where very pretty women were employed  to go around the ground handing out that companies samples some spectators were so drunk (you could take in your own booze) accosted them,comments about shaving their privates and more.

These weren't council house footie riff raff,no highly paid suit wearing often middle aged corporate higher? Management and directors.

Trouble is too many can't take their drink.

How different it all WAS Cromwell. WAS. Not necessarily IS now

In my youth rugby had a very different approach to damage and hooliganism. Long ago before the existing stadium a crush of fans rushing up a narrow street caused a big glass window of a store on the street to give way under the pressure. The following Monday a club secretary was despatched with a cheque book to pay for the damage.

Ticket Allocation on match day was THE weapon of choice. Misbehaving fans who went too far simply never got to go again. They would never again get tickets. It was that easy. Sadly, resale / touts and fixers tended to find ways round that.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: Thomas on July 14, 2021, 10:40:13 AMengland got beat by better team end of.

That isn't true. They played to a draw - they were equal. Italy's goal was scrappy and just luck! They need to rethink penalty shoot outs it's just not a good way to decide a final.

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on July 14, 2021, 10:06:05 AM
Well the finger is usually pointed at footie fans and much is made (John  :P) about wrong shaped balls and how different it all is.

It's not,rugby clubs have gone on tour causing as much mayhem wrecking places,when those who follow rugger at twickers behave like that they call it youthful high jinks,footie fans are lower class scrotes who should be locked up and throw away the key.

Cricket of course is a gentlemans sport.....erm no watching a match sponsored by Gillette where very pretty women were employed  to go around the ground handing out that companies samples some spectators were so drunk (you could take in your own booze) accosted them,comments about shaving their privates and more.

These weren't council house footie riff raff,no highly paid suit wearing often middle aged corporate higher? Management and directors.

I see too many can't take defeat either Cromwell. Just reading Harry Kane getting slaughtered on social media as a jinx. 28 years old never won a trophy no pace etc.

Why scapegoat ? Serves no purpose england got beat by better team end of.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Well the finger is usually pointed at footie fans and much is made (John  :P) about wrong shaped balls and how different it all is.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

Quote from: Sheepy on July 13, 2021, 07:02:53 PM
One thing you can bet on, there are going to be examples made of a few.

In the same year that Blair's kid was brought home by special branch after having been found puking his guts up in Piccadilly Circus after getting hammered at the age of 16 at an "I've finished my O levels" party, and JackbSteaws l dveas chucked out of school for dealing pot ....

I made the observation that my daughter had just done HER GCSEs and when invited by her classmates to come with them to get (illegally) wrecked, SHE said "nah, if I wanted a drink I'd ask dad if I can drink the stuff at home ...."

Shocked pause followed by "your dad let's you drink at home ...."

"Hell yeah. Doesn't yours"

(The law stated then, and probably still does state, the minimum age to drink alcohol in the home is FIVE)

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 13, 2021, 05:57:15 PM
Ive been on many  a trip overseas watching sport and having a good piss up at the same time. Its why we blokes do it Toots . Its not our fault that some can't handle the beer and so as JOG says feed them more of it , they wont make the turnstiles
One thing you can bet on, there are going to be examples made of a few.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Streetwalker

Ive been on many  a trip overseas watching sport and having a good piss up at the same time. Its why we blokes do it Toots . Its not our fault that some cant handle the beer and so as JOG says feed them more of it , they wont make the turnstiles

patman post

I don't understand why anyone really believed that the mindless thugs among England football supporters have gone away.   
In 1985, they got the England banned from competing in Europe.   

The disgusting behaviour of it's fans on Sunday, and the inability of the authorities to control them, should disqualify it from hosting the 2030 World Cup. 

During Covid, alcohol consumption and pubs' opening have featured greatly in commentaries and briefings by authorities and experts. Sunday's exhibitions confirm that England — in common with most northern European countries — should have tight regulation of alcohol sales...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Indeed it is toots

Fans should be force fed more of it so only hardened matchgoers have the resistance to reach the turnstiles ...

T00ts

There are calls for England to be banned from major sport events, particularly football, because of the thugs who disrupted Wembley in the Euros. Especially we should not stage the World cup in 2030.

We had a laser aimed at the goalie on a penalty, we had a ticketless mob crashing the gates before the final, an interruption when some idiot got on the pitch just to show off, booing National Anthems and players on opposing teams, and all this in front of children.

Is it time to do something about the quantity of alcohol consumed? Presumably the sports stars revered so loudly are cold stone sober for weeks. Would they all be better behaved if they were sober or is it simply that too many are uncivilised thugs?