Struggling to vote

Started by Barry, December 05, 2019, 12:22:40 PM

« previous - next »

Major Sinic

Quote from: Barry post_id=8440 time=1575575644 user_id=51
This has happened because of how the Tory party has behaved in the past 3 years. Are you still believing that this withdrawal agreement is a good or even acceptable deal to exit the EU?

These Tories have been twiddling their thumbs and put Boris the brave in with his "Brexit 31st October, do or die". Well, it was "die", wasn't it?

It was the 3rd "death" for a Tory PM after Cameron ran away, T May got the boot for trying to remain, then Boris got the same deal, minus the backstop.

I hate to see every thread become about Brexit, but this election is mostly about that issue.

If the Tories are the only way out of the EU, how come we are not out yet?  1259 days they have had.

Because they don't really want out, I suspect.

Abstaining does not let anyone in or out. It merely shows the feeling of non representation. I could go to the polling booths and write Brexit now all over the paper, but how would that be an improvement on not voting?

Since there is no alternative to this present deal other than revoking Article 50 or going with Labour's 'Almost Remaining' also known as Remain without Representation, yes I do find Boris's deal acceptable. Without a Tory majority I can see the nightmare of non-Brexit just rolling on and on and on!

Boris had to convince the EU that he meant what he said, whatever and despite the undemocratic conduct of the anti-democrats on the other side of the house he did so. At least by the end of January we will be free to negotiate our own trade deals and trade on WTO terms with future partners.

Borchester

Quote from: Barry post_id=8375 time=1575548560 user_id=51
This morning I took a step back and looked at the parties available in my constituency.

The Tories currently hold the seat.

The Labour candidate does no even live here, but in London.

The Lib Dem

The Green

To be fair to our Tory man he has done his best and voted well in all the debates, but he is a part of a party which for 3.5 years has made loads of promises and failed to "get Brexit done". They are now promising "Elect us and we'll get Brexit done". I don't believe them.

Labour, ignoring the fact they've parachuted a candidate are not electable, either. They are a threat to the country, it's security and economy. They promise the Moon on a stick and will ruin the weak growth we have now.

Th Lib Dems are neither Liberal or Democrats and have become a Remain party.

The Greens are irrelevant nut jobs who are extremists on climate change.

Why should I have to choose whilst delving around at the bottom of a dirty barrel, because that is what it feels like. I might abstain.

I am with all the way.

That said, after the referendum I was having a chat with one of my grandson's school teachers who was bemoaning the result.

Oh, I said, so you voted Remain?

No, he replied. He meant too but thought that since the remainers were bound to win he had not bothered.

Let that be a lesson to you I said pompously, decisions are made by those who show up.
Algerie Francais !

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: "Major Sinic" post_id=8427 time=1575572042 user_id=84
I think every citizen with the right to vote has a duty to use that right. If you  can not bring yourself to vote for any candidate then at least have the integrity to attend the polling station and spoil the voting paper. To simply do nothing in my view renders your opinion worthless.

How any economically literate non-racist leaver can seriously consider putting Labour into government either by voting for them or by not voting or the most likely to be successful opposition depresses the hell out of me.

Surely the spoilt paper is a little childish? They know if you don't vote for any of them anyway because they know how many there are of voting age and I expect they see that there are many more of voting age than there are even those registered to vote. It depends on the proverbial, 'would you give them the time of day', as per this view equates to not even bothering to register. Then there would be another set who register but don't turn up, and another who register turn up and spoil the ballot, to those who vote for a joke party to those who vote just to keep the greater of two evils out. If I were in the politics business I would see my career as most uninspiring if the hardcore 'not even bother to register' number crept up the fastest. If you can get them to the voting station it's a similar thing to a capitalist who thinks, well at least my shop is busy.

Anyhow what would get me to the station is a politician who stood up and said we are going to heavily cut our numbers. We're going to let you decide what you want to buy with your own money and our government will just run the few things which makes economic sense to run and just focus on running them the cheapest way possible, like it were their own money they were spending. So from my point of view there is a situation vacant. Someone will hopefully step in and corner this market.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Barry

I think every citizen with the right to vote has a duty to use that right. If you  can not bring yourself to vote for any candidate then at least have the integrity to attend the polling station and spoil the voting paper. To simply do nothing in my view renders your opinion worthless.

How any economically literate non-racist leaver can seriously consider putting Labour into government either by voting for them or by not voting or the most likely to be successful opposition depresses the hell out of me.

This has happened because of how the Tory party has behaved in the past 3 years. Are you still believing that this withdrawal agreement is a good or even acceptable deal to exit the EU?

These Tories have been twiddling their thumbs and put Boris the brave in with his "Brexit 31st October, do or die". Well, it was "die", wasn't it?

It was the 3rd "death" for a Tory PM after Cameron ran away, T May got the boot for trying to remain, then Boris got the same deal, minus the backstop.

I hate to see every thread become about Brexit, but this election is mostly about that issue.

If the Tories are the only way out of the EU, how come we are not out yet?  1259 days they have had.

Because they don't really want out, I suspect.

Abstaining does not let anyone in or out. It merely shows the feeling of non representation. I could go to the polling booths and write Brexit now all over the paper, but how would that be an improvement on not voting?
† The end is nigh †

Major Sinic

Quote from: Barry post_id=8375 time=1575548560 user_id=51
This morning I took a step back and looked at the parties available in my constituency.

The Tories currently hold the seat.

The Labour candidate does no even live here, but in London.

The Lib Dem

The Green

To be fair to our Tory man he has done his best and voted well in all the debates, but he is a part of a party which for 3.5 years has made loads of promises and failed to "get Brexit done". They are now promising "Elect us and we'll get Brexit done". I don't believe them.

Labour, ignoring the fact they've parachuted a candidate are not electable, either. They are a threat to the country, it's security and economy. They promise the Moon on a stick and will ruin the weak growth we have now.

Th Lib Dems are neither Liberal or Democrats and have become a Remain party.

The Greens are irrelevant nut jobs who are extremists on climate change.

Why should I have to choose whilst delving around at the bottom of a dirty barrel, because that is what it feels like. I might abstain.

Without a majority Conservative government, we will have a choice between Remain and Virtually Remain. However distasteful you may find delving around in that barrel if you want to influence your future and the future of your children then vote and vote Conservative.

The real oxymoron is that a vote for the Brexit Party is in reality as effective as a vote for Labour or the Liberal Democrats and is in reality a vote for Remain. The Brexit Party will win no seats but may contribute to the country having a harlequin hung parliament dedicated to ignoring the 2016 referendum, with a harlequin clown as Prime Minister!

Major Sinic

Quote from: Churchill post_id=8428 time=1575572280 user_id=69
Just to make it clear wife and I have already voted reluctantly yes, but we have voted by post

I thought you probably would. Good man!.....and Wife!

Churchill

Just to make it clear wife and I have already voted reluctantly yes, but we have voted by post
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Major Sinic

Quote from: Churchill post_id=8410 time=1575562133 user_id=69
I agree it does not feel right I have voted in every GE but one in the last 50 years, the Commons is a shambles both sides of the house what little faith I had in Poloticians has now gone.

Baron von Lotsov

Someone left a flyer of a Labour candidate pinned to a wall in our town and scrawled on it commie bitch or similar, and put a Hitler moustache on it as well. She was some young caring girl type who was standing to make things better. Of course we all know that she would not be the one calling the shots if she were ever elected. Labour don't stand a chance in hell in our constituency, but we have a greater threat and that is the Greens. I hope our Tory keeps his seat just because so far he has not done anything wrong or put his foot in it. He seems harmless in other words. However even he is peddling the green agenda so I'm not voting for him personally. I'm completely without representation in this ship of fools.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Ciaphas

Quote from: Barry post_id=8415 time=1575564344 user_id=51
Mostly conservative. Did vote Green once in my youth, but it was a wasted vote and before they became extremists.

Liberals when Shirley Williams was about were reasonable, but under a rather young woman with an over inflated ego, no way.

Has it usually been a 'least worse' choice?

The term 'politically homeless' gets thrown around a lot recently but when I think back to previous general elections I can't recall being particually enthused about any party.

Barry

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=8411 time=1575562270 user_id=75
Who did you used to vote for prior to the referendum? Just curious where you used to sit on the political spectrum.

Mostly conservative. Did vote Green once in my youth, but it was a wasted vote and before they became extremists.

Liberals when Shirley Williams was about were reasonable, but under a rather young woman with an over inflated ego, no way.
† The end is nigh †

Churchill

You can rule out Labour, never have never will, I could not afford them when working nor can I now I have retired
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Ciaphas

Who did you used to vote for prior to the referendum? Just curious where you used to sit on the political spectrum.

Churchill

I agree it does not feel right I have voted in every GE but one in the last 50 years, the Commons is a shambles both sides of the house what little faith I had in Poloticians has now gone.

Barry

I can understand it if people don't want to vote. We'll see how the turnout figures are, Churchill.

If I did not vote, it would be for the very first time since being 18 years old, and it does not feel right, somehow.
† The end is nigh †