The EU has the answers to illegal immigration

Started by Sheepy, July 23, 2021, 10:10:08 PM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Barry on September 07, 2021, 12:08:00 PM
Once Germany gave them a residence card, they could go on to any other EU country, I believe.
Yes and no, some asylum seekers would get a 1 or 3yr residency card, but to move to another EU country you had to meet certain criteria. Such as having the financial means to support yourself for 6months, to demonstrate after that time that you wouldn't be a burden on the state after the 6month period, that you didn't have a criminal record. Having the means to support yourself was a tricky one as this would mean having a job.
So yes the asylum seeker with a residency card would have the right to come to the UK and work, provided he could get a job. But he couldn't come and just claim benefits.
The UK didn't do this I guess because it's difficult to administer and people needed to be rounded up for export. But it also meant that those that stayed illegally couldn't claim benefits.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 07, 2021, 12:08:00 PM
Once Germany gave them a residence card, they could go on to any other EU country, I believe.

Except Britain as Britain was never in Schengen.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on September 07, 2021, 11:48:55 AM
Because she could, and the EU could not stop her.
† The end is nigh †

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 07, 2021, 11:17:38 AM
Rubbish, do you want me to go and find at least a dozen posts where categorically state nothing happens in the EU without agreement from every state?
Like local tax systems
Like country army's
Like closing your borders
etc..etc...etc

And if a country wants to take in asylum seekers its free to do so. So yes go find the post where I said Germany couldn't take in asylum seekers without EU approval or where I said anything a country does is only possible when the EU agrees it.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 07, 2021, 11:38:12 AM
So how was Merkel able to unilaterally decide to let 2 million dodgy refugees in then?

Because she could, and the EU could not stop her.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 07, 2021, 11:21:28 AM
Which is nonsense, there are national laws and regulations unique to each state, totally independent of the EU.

So how was Merkel able to unilaterally decide to let 2 million dodgy refugees in then?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 07, 2021, 11:17:38 AM
nothing happens in the EU without agreement from every state?

Which is nonsense, there are national laws and regulations unique to each state, totally independent of the EU.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 07, 2021, 10:38:13 AM
Nope I never said that.

Rubbish, do you want me to go and find at least a dozen posts where categorically state nothing happens in the EU without agreement from every state?

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 07, 2021, 10:26:41 AM
There is still 2 million unknowns wandering around the EU, all because Merkel made a unilateral decision. Something you tell us never happens.
Nope I never said that.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 07, 2021, 10:32:16 AM
So we have to stay in the EU because the French are looking the other way. What a load of nonsense.
No you have to realise brexit is a economic mistake and a folly. That no other country is looking at the UK and thinking, we want some of that. If anything Brexit is the ship that unites the EU even more.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 07, 2021, 10:25:06 AM
and the French will be slow to agree to this. But in the EU you could have shipped them back when they landed in the UK. A big driver for brexit was 'taking back control of our borders'. The reality is in this regard you have less not more control (for now). People were told Turkey was joining and the UK would be flooded, farage standing in front of lage posters of migrants, what a load of crock, but people believed it. Pre brexit even if Turkey had joined, like any EU person entering the UK, unless they could support themselves and had employment they could be sent home, but the UK never ever tried to enforce this. Other EU countries do.
Illegal immigrants will always be a problem, but a more difficult problem when your nearest neighbours don't have agreements to deal with it.

So we have to stay in the EU because the French are looking the other way. What a load of nonsense.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 07, 2021, 09:57:06 AMThe Dublin agreement was found to be lacking when the Syria migration numbers were at their highest around 2015, that agreement has since been changed so its no longer a single countries responsibility to deal with immigrants but all EU countries shoulder the burden.

There is still 2 million unknowns wandering around the EU, all because Merkel made a unilateral decision. Something you tell us never happens.

GerryT

Quote from: Barry on September 07, 2021, 10:05:27 AM
I think that is a fair post, Gerry, except that we are tallking illegal immigration, of which another 1,000 landed in fair weather on the South coast yesterday.
They have no right to be here, but we have no current mechanism to send them back to France.
Our forces MUST stop them crossing the half way line.
and the French will be slow to agree to this. But in the EU you could have shipped them back when they landed in the UK. A big driver for brexit was 'taking back control of our borders'. The reality is in this regard you have less not more control (for now). People were told Turkey was joining and the UK would be flooded, farage standing in front of lage posters of migrants, what a load of crock, but people believed it. Pre brexit even if Turkey had joined, like any EU person entering the UK, unless they could support themselves and had employment they could be sent home, but the UK never ever tried to enforce this. Other EU countries do.
Illegal immigrants will always be a problem, but a more difficult problem when your nearest neighbours don't have agreements to deal with it.

Barry

I think that is a fair post, Gerry, except that we are tallking illegal immigration, of which another 1,000 landed in fair weather on the South coast yesterday.
They have no right to be here, but we have no current mechanism to send them back to France.
Our forces MUST stop them crossing the half way line.
† The end is nigh †

GerryT

Quote from: Barry on September 06, 2021, 09:41:52 PM
Nice to see you back again. That reply took you 37 days. I'd love to say it was worth waiting for, but you can see how it is.
There is no substance. The Dublin agreement was found to be lacking when the Syria migration numbers were at their highest around 2015, that agreement has since been changed so its no longer a single countries responsibility to deal with immigrants but all EU countries shoulder the burden.
But to the point I made, since 2016 the number of EU people migrating to the UK has fallen from 200k a yr to under 50k but the number of non EU has increased from 160k to 230k, so your overall migration inward has dropped from 360k to 280k. As EU migrants on average contribute more to the UK economy than the average UK person, and non EU migrants are on average a burden, things are considerable worse since brexit  on this front.