So much of TV is crap

Started by cromwell, December 05, 2019, 11:02:19 PM

« previous - next »

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=9330 time=1576146814 user_id=87
Yes, I have read the link, and the way I have read it indicates owning  such a device qualifies you to pay for a license. In your reckoning you could convince the authorities that although you own a TV you don't watch the BBC. I tend to think that if this was the case everyone would be doing it. Alternatively you may believe that if you don't have a TV but do own a computer, the authorities would be forced into believing you. So, I could connect my PC to a 46"" monitor, plug in some big speakers, watch the BBC to my hearts content, and I wouldn't need a license. That's brilliant, and I bet nobody else has thought of it (yes, that was sarcasm)

The difference between a computer and a TV is a TV picks up transmissions from the airwaves, where the computer generally does not. The airwaves are regulated. Of the top of my head I think it might have something to do with the Wireless and Telegraphy Act 1948. I can't be bothered to look it up but doing some fine picking of the BBC/Gov/lawyer bullshit words, this is what they mean, although admittedly it is written by snakes to make you think they will bust your door down if you don't pay up with gladness.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Wiggles

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=9330 time=1576146814 user_id=87
Yes, I have read the link, and the way I have read it indicates owning  such a device qualifies you to pay for a license. In your reckoning you could convince the authorities that although you own a TV you don't watch the BBC. I tend to think that if this was the case everyone would be doing it. Alternatively you may believe that if you don't have a TV but do own a computer, the authorities would be forced into believing you. So, I could connect my PC to a 46"" monitor, plug in some big speakers, watch the BBC to my hearts content, and I wouldn't need a license. That's brilliant, and I bet nobody else has thought of it (yes, that was sarcasm)
A hand up, not a hand out

Wiggles

Quote from: Barry post_id=9327 time=1576146128 user_id=51
For the last time. No it does not, I've posted the link, if you can't read and understand it, that is your problem. Stop posting falsehoods.

Barry

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=9311 time=1576141765 user_id=87
Look, don't shoot the messenger, I agree with you in principal. The law says any household with a device capable of watching BBC live has to have TV license,

For the last time. No it does not, I've posted the link, if you can't read and understand it, that is your problem. Stop posting falsehoods.
† The end is nigh †

Wiggles

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=9210 time=1576090102 user_id=74
OK so if you do watch or have watched live TV on I-player then if you did or have not got a licence then you break the law. However they can not stop you from buying a computer to watch Youtube or to do your accounts on. I need a computer for my work and it had to be connected tot he internet so I can download datasheets and the like. They can f-off if they think they can try and cheat me into buying a licence for a service I never use. I have the law to back me up here. You can't be forced to buy a product. It's a market, and it is not owned by communists.

Look, don't shoot the messenger, I agree with you in principal. The law says any household with a device capable of watching BBC live has to have TV license, For what it is worth, I am adamantly against any form of TV license, and believe the BBC should be self funding.

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=9204 time=1576087413 user_id=87
Wrong, I just did it, you can watch live TV on i-player. You are asked if you have a TV license, click on YES, and Bobs your uncle

OK so if you do watch or have watched live TV on I-player then if you did or have not got a licence then you break the law. However they can not stop you from buying a computer to watch Youtube or to do your accounts on. I need a computer for my work and it had to be connected tot he internet so I can download datasheets and the like. They can f-off if they think they can try and cheat me into buying a licence for a service I never use. I have the law to back me up here. You can't be forced to buy a product. It's a market, and it is not owned by communists.

Wiggles

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=9060 time=1576009592 user_id=74
Only if it is live. You can not watch live broadcasts, so you don't use the BBC I-player.

Wrong, I just did it, you can watch live TV on i-player. You are asked if you have a TV license, click on YES, and Bobs your uncle

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=9038 time=1576002679 user_id=87
The criteria is that you own a device that is capable of playing a BBC produced program. It may be daft, but it is true

Only if it is live. You can not watch live broadcasts, so you don't use the BBC I-player. However, if the BBC wish to offer something for free, like say if they put it on Youtube, then watching it is fine, because it is common law. They have offered that clip for free. The BBC can not have its cake and eat it, much as it would do its best to convince you that it can.

Another example here is for telephones. I say to the ISP my line is not within contractual performance. They ask me to agree that if it is not their fault then I pay their call out of 65 quid.

I know that i have a right to get the correct performance, and i know that I can sign that right away by offering them 65 quid. I just told them you already have the right to bill me for reasonable costs if it is a fault that I had caused and in doing so had caused an unnecessary callout.

Result is the letter gets passed up from the dumb blond and then passed down again to someone who helpfully fixes the problem without a callout.

These people are snakes and will omit important information when instructing you. I'd like to see them try to force me to use get a licence just so i can watch Youtube. Actually I've seen BBC freebees actually blocked on Youtube for UK viewers but available free to the rest of the world!!! You don't notice when you use a French proxy server though.

Barry

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=9038 time=1576002679 user_id=87
The criteria is that you own a device that is capable of playing a BBC produced program. It may be daft, but it is true

Why don't you stop posting falsehoods.

QuoteThe law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV, on any channel

watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)

download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one">//https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one
† The end is nigh †

Wiggles

Quote from: Barry post_id=8836 time=1575918359 user_id=51
That's rather silly. I can choose not to go to the BBC iPlayer or to any live TV. Then I do not need a licence.

You need to read the rules.

Baron von Lotsov

Barry is right, and the only caveat to that is if you have a TV card in your computer capable of picking up TV transmissions.

The BBC could not possibly charge a licence to use the internet. It would be invaded if it ever tried that one on. It still has to compete under EU rules. That means you are free to shop around. By the way, that excellent documentary above is from Program 33, which I think is a French production firm or channel. Our country has some of the worst TV. German documentaries are good as well. They do English voice-overs these days so they are quite easy to watch.

Barry

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=8824 time=1575913392 user_id=87
You obviously have a computer. Computers are capable of picking up BBC, therefore you have to pay. No way out

That's rather silly. I can choose not to go to the BBC iPlayer or to any live TV. Then I do not need a licence.

You need to read the rules.
† The end is nigh †

Wiggles

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=8678 time=1575786240 user_id=74
Here you go. Turn your BBC off, stop pulling your hair out and swing along to swinging London.

The first one is a short archive from the time with the original commentary, and the second is a superb documentary on Twiggy, and I must say it is very intelligently put together, and much better than what you get for your crappy licence fee.

Just as matter of interest, Twiggy is a distant cousin of mine. Thought I'd say !!

Wiggles

Quote from: Barry post_id=8498 time=1575633000 user_id=51
I went on the TV licence website to cancel my DD and could not find a link. I pay annually. So I cancelled with my bank, online.

I then got an email from TV licensing suggesting they would give my details to debt collectors if I did not make an arrangement. This despite the fact I am paid up till next year and I don't owe a penny.

We are considering doing all the right things to avoid having a licence, but it does seem a bit of a faff.

I don't even know how the TV remote works. I have no interest and is held by SWMBO who has been watching Christmas romance films since November.

I shall want to watch the election night, mind you, which is live TV, and will do as my licence is valid until 28th February 2020.

I do love the repair shop. I wish I was as good as they are at repairing stuff. My kids used to say I can repair anything except an etch-a-sketch. I'm still doing lots of handyman jobs for them, light switches, fittings, plumbing, shower doors, if it's mechanical, I can usually help and I love it.  :)

You obviously have a computer. Computers are capable of picking up BBC, therefore you have to pay. No way out

Baron von Lotsov

Here you go. Turn your BBC off, stop pulling your hair out and swing along to swinging London.

The first one is a short archive from the time with the original commentary, and the second is a superb documentary on Twiggy, and I must say it is very intelligently put together, and much better than what you get for your crappy licence fee.