So much of TV is crap

Started by cromwell, December 05, 2019, 11:02:19 PM

« previous - next »

Churchill

<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=8578 time=1575662099 user_id=51
https://66.media.tumblr.com/72af761302f29c72968993e0c3f2e235/tumblr_na7sjlgrtC1ssuoa0o2_250.gifv">

That is the type of shit TV I don't watch.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Churchill

<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Barry

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=8528 time=1575644974 user_id=70
Are you sure you're not picking up and being influenced by transmissions from another world...?

https://66.media.tumblr.com/72af761302f29c72968993e0c3f2e235/tumblr_na7sjlgrtC1ssuoa0o2_250.gifv">
† The end is nigh †

Baron von Lotsov

Youtube will take over from TV. You see what the crack is now is that Youtube producers get paid for their work, so they are becoming professional. People put together all sorts of interesting stuff, and because computers are cheap and much software is free, they can do professional edits without too much trouble in order to get reasonable quality, and likewise for the cameras as well.  You do not need to fork out a fortune to get a camera of broadcast quality. There's also a thing going where people can put together their own low-budget films.

One thing though with Youtube is you really do need to master the art of searching for the right thing. There's a  lot of clickbait about, but if you know what you are doing you can avoid clicking on it, cos if you do it will be over your computer like a rash. Computers are still pretty stupid and can't figure out what clickbait is, but give it time and these problems will hopefully solves themselves.

It was mentioned in the OP about some fix it and renovating programmes, but you know that Youtube has millions of those videos. You can therefore decide what you want to see fixed. I watched a couple or so on fixing washing machines by a chap who knew them like the back of his hand and then I knew how to fix my own.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

patman post

We don't have to watch broadcast TV. But I am annoyed that if I choose not to watch UK based stations, I still have to pay a TV  licence fee if I view stations via the Internet or satellite in real time. Personally, I'm happy to pay to watch, and listen to, BBC , but it should be paid for from other sources rather than a general TV receiving equipment tax.

The rules have now become so draconian that I believe there will be a change — we have to hope it's for the better...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Ciaphas

I don't watch live TV anymore. Currently working through Battlestar Galactica on Amazon Prime.

papasmurf

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=8528 time=1575644974 user_id=70
Are you sure you're not picking up and being influenced by transmissions from another world...?

That would describe Tory party political broadcasts.

There are interesting programs on Kazakh TV, Arirang, NHK, TV5Monde, France 24, and many others. (Interesting cookery program on Chinese TV last night, but not in English or subtitled. I would not eat the hot sauce for bet. Szechuan cooking tends to use very hot sauces. The method of boning and stuffing a duck was interesting though.)

Churchill

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=8471 time=1575620029 user_id=89
I have a motorised satellite dish and have a choice of TV from around the World. (Which I have been very grateful for during the last few weeks.)

There are numerous foreign TV channels that either transmit in English or that have English subtitles available.

I can usually find something of interest.

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Wiggles

Yep, hundreds of channels, and nearly all crap. If I had told you 10 years ago that I was putting a TV show together, with a format of little known celebrities ballroom dancing, you would have said I was mental. Anyway, soap operas, talent shows, quiz shows at peak viewing times, and endless crime dramas, it's all dull and horrible. There are a few shining lights though. Plebs is an excellent comedy series, Dragons Den is marvelous, and Top Gear for the few weeks a year it is on. At the moment I am enjoying the political debates, although a bit predictable.
A hand up, not a hand out

Barry

I went on the TV licence website to cancel my DD and could not find a link. I pay annually. So I cancelled with my bank, online.

I then got an email from TV licensing suggesting they would give my details to debt collectors if I did not make an arrangement. This despite the fact I am paid up till next year and I don't owe a penny.

We are considering doing all the right things to avoid having a licence, but it does seem a bit of a faff.

I don't even know how the TV remote works. I have no interest and is held by SWMBO who has been watching Christmas romance films since November.

I shall want to watch the election night, mind you, which is live TV, and will do as my licence is valid until 28th February 2020.

I do love the repair shop. I wish I was as good as they are at repairing stuff. My kids used to say I can repair anything except an etch-a-sketch. I'm still doing lots of handyman jobs for them, light switches, fittings, plumbing, shower doors, if it's mechanical, I can usually help and I love it.  :)
† The end is nigh †

Churchill

Quote from: cromwell post_id=8455 time=1575586939 user_id=48
And so I don't watch a lot of it but must say I am hooked by the repair shop on the Beeb,fascinating stuff.....no divas or drama but a lot of skilled people doing their stuff.

Nor do I , I am very selective of what I watch, I like the repair shop and Salvage Hunters by Drew Pritchard his team of renovators are amazing  the skills they have and are passionate about the work they love to keep some of our past alive.

I also enjoy a good drama such as Endeavour, Vera, Fishing programmes my passion , Documentaries especially history or the Natural World, only sport I watch with any enthusiasm is Rugby, football darts etc No motorcycle racing yes but I can take it or leave it.

I like my Amazon Fire Stick for a good choice of Films

Reality shows leave me cold they are anything but reality IMO the so called Luvvies do nothing for me

papasmurf

I have a motorised satellite dish and have a choice of TV from around the World. (Which I have been very grateful for during the last few weeks.)

There are numerous foreign TV channels that either transmit in English or that have English subtitles available.

I can usually find something of interest.

Streetwalker

Indeed it is . 200 or so channels and Id rather listen to the radio