Brexit: Anyone changed their mind?

Started by Borchester, July 29, 2021, 11:15:58 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on July 31, 2021, 11:26:08 AM
Wow, strong feelings, all based on decades of lies and misinformation.

That's how pathetic your argument is, you're even now telling me what my views are based on.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on July 31, 2021, 12:12:45 PM
When I was a lad I was on the grain run between the US and China. At that time the Americans had an embargo on trade with China and the Reds were always threatening blood and snot on the Yanks. So the ship would load up with wheat in Cleveland and Chicago and sail to Singapore, where the cargo would be sold.

Not unloaded, sold.

One bloke would buy it and then sell it to another who would charter the ship to take the cargo to Chenwangtoa or somewhere else where it was bloody cold. God knows how they managed to grow rice in that climate, but the main thing is that the staunch American farmers had proof that they were not dealing with the commie swine and the Reds could show that the grain came from the rolling prairies of Singapore, not the US imperialists.

If there is an eager seller and a keen buyer, all things can be achieved.  :) :)

This also works when selling guns bombs and missiles to arabs. Nicholas Cage's appearances on Con Air and The Rock stretch credibility slightly; his role in Warlord however ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on July 31, 2021, 08:11:34 AM
I don't want to trade with the EU, I'd be happy if I never set foot in any EU country again.

When I was a lad I was on the grain run between the US and China. At that time the Americans had an embargo on trade with China and the Reds were always threatening blood and snot on the Yanks. So the ship would load up with wheat in Cleveland and Chicago and sail to Singapore, where the cargo would be sold.

Not unloaded, sold.

One bloke would buy it and then sell it to another who would charter the ship to take the cargo to Chenwangtoa or somewhere else where it was bloody cold. God knows how they managed to grow rice in that climate, but the main thing is that the staunch American farmers had proof that they were not dealing with the commie swine and the Reds could show that the grain came from the rolling prairies of Singapore, not the US imperialists.

If there is an eager seller and a keen buyer, all things can be achieved.  :) :)
Algerie Francais !

GerryT

I don't want to trade with the EU, I'd be happy if I never set foot in any EU country again.
Wow, strong feelings, all based on decades of lies and misinformation.

Sheepy

Eh? nobody could possibly want to escape the clutches of the EU empire.
The warm cosy embrace of the Brussels mafia.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on July 30, 2021, 02:34:26 PMIf you want to trade in the EU then you follow EU laws. Simple.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on July 30, 2021, 04:42:40 PM
You still don't seem to get it McGerry. Whether we left the EU because of unelected bureacrauts, our empire across the globe, the hordes of unskilled immigrants taking our jobs...it's none of your business.

It's up to us British to decide our destiny.
Great to see the empire is again deciding it's own future. But what your missing is, now that you have your big boy trousers on again when you do make a decision, like signing an internationally recognised treaty you are sort of expected to hold up your side of the bargain. Even crack pot dictator nations have raised up to that level. The days of signing treaties and then doing what you want are long gone, especially when the empire is a little island.

GerryT

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 30, 2021, 02:42:59 PM

Remind me again how the Americans adhere to those yet whose early warning aircraft are the EU buying still .....
If any USA product or food wants to enter the EU market it has to comply with EU laws/regulations, otherwise it doesn't come into the market, it's that simple. Unless your showing otherwise ? 

You do realise it's not an all or nothing thing, there are hundreds of bilateral trade agreements between the USA and EU covering thousands of products that the USA sell in the EU.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on July 30, 2021, 04:55:05 PM

Is that you kissing Michel Barnier's bottom again Pappy?

Nothing wrong with that and after nearly two years hiding under the bed in fear of the Chinese Coof, I imagine that you feel the need for a bit of fun. But try to remember that this is a family site and maybe your private photos should be kept private.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

HallowedBrexit

Quote from: GerryT on July 30, 2021, 02:27:01 PM
Well my reason was I'm on leave for a week, staying at home and catching up. The EU are in no deadlock, they have a signed agreement, they just gave the UK another extension and are waiting to see what crackpot action the uk takes.
The EU pays no attention to what the UK says it will do, as most comments are lies to tory voters, in a bid to stay in power. Its what the UK does is what the EU will react to. And being a good poker player the EU won't show its hand like the UK does.

You still don't seem to get it McGerry. Whether we left the EU because of unelected bureacrauts, our empire across the globe, the hordes of unskilled immigrants taking our jobs...it's none of your business.

It's up to us British to decide our destiny.

johnofgwent

Quote from: GerryT on July 30, 2021, 02:34:26 PM
In your opinion their better. If you want to trade in the EU then you follow EU laws. Simple.

Your not actually deciding though, are you. In the future the UK might not be so dependent on the EU, but for now you are. And this is why Johnson and his merry band of half wits will do another 180 turnaround.

Hows that Ukraine deal you signed going, another major embarrassment, tying yourself to EU rules, comical.

Remind me again how the Americans adhere to those yet whose early warning aircraft are the EU buying still .....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on July 30, 2021, 11:38:01 AM
How many times do you need telling that UK quality laws are and always have  been far better than EU laws.

That aside, if we DECIDE to adopt every law the EU makes then we decided, you just don't get it.
In your opinion their better. If you want to trade in the EU then you follow EU laws. Simple.

Your not actually deciding though, are you. In the future the UK might not be so dependent on the EU, but for now you are. And this is why Johnson and his merry band of half wits will do another 180 turnaround.

Hows that Ukraine deal you signed going, another major embarrassment, tying yourself to EU rules, comical. 

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on July 29, 2021, 04:16:45 PM
Gerry the only reason you are here at the moment, is because the EU and the just about hopeless UK government are in deadlock over NI, or so they say. It changes nothing, not a thing, with any luck and a fair wind the Chinese will get the hump and deal with Brussels once and for all.
Well my reason was I'm on leave for a week, staying at home and catching up. The EU are in no deadlock, they have a signed agreement, they just gave the UK another extension and are waiting to see what crackpot action the uk takes.
The EU pays no attention to what the UK says it will do, as most comments are lies to tory voters, in a bid to stay in power. Its what the UK does is what the EU will react to. And being a good poker player the EU won't show its hand like the UK does.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on July 30, 2021, 11:38:01 AM
How many times do you need telling that UK quality laws are and always have  been far better than EU laws.

That aside, if we DECIDE to adopt every law the EU makes then we decided, you just don't get it.
But isn't the point that the EU members agree minimum standards, but that individual members must meet or surpass them?

We could debate specifics but, for example, it's my experience that France's restaurant hygiene laws are superior and more stringently applied than those in the UK, German automotive high-end engineering quality is about the best in the world, Italian men's clothing is generally more stylish and pound-for-pound better made than elsewhere, etc. Nevertheless, the regulations on quality/safety in each country ensure a commonly-agreed minimum is reached...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...