Who won the 2016 brexit referendum?

Started by Thomas, August 01, 2021, 09:20:37 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on August 01, 2021, 09:20:37 AM
https://twitter.com/TheGoodLiars/status/1404468838020923401

I thought this was quite funny . Trump election deniers remind me of the likes of gerry javert quackers et al and general remongers who can't accept the 2016 referendum result and subsequent hammering at elections .

In 2020 the Americans had a choice between a blustering, capable oaf and Joe Biden. They chose the corpse. It doesn't matter a lot. During his second administration Woodrow Wilson had a stroke and the US was run by his wife, whereupon the country entered into its great post war boom.

It does not matter what trolls such as Gerry and Pappy think (in the unlikely event that they do), we are out of the EU and with every passing day, more likely to stay that way.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on August 15, 2021, 11:27:33 AM
Empty shelves on the supermarkets due to interruptions in supply chains and shortages of drivers. Some of this could be due to the 'pingdemic' but it's been going on several weeks now. As far as I know there's no hysterical panic buying going on at the moment.

Plus crops rotting in the fields due to no EU labour being let in.
Long delays getting anything getting delivered from the EU. (I have had to wait a month instead of a next day delivery for a component from Germany. )
The bivalve mollusc export problem to the EU now look permanent.
There is a lot more.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

HDQQ

Quote from: papasmurf on August 15, 2021, 11:21:14 AM
Precisely.  I merely wonder how long it will take before the Brexiteers realise what a disaster Brexit is turning out to be.

Empty shelves in the supermarkets due to interruptions in supply chains and shortages of drivers. Some of this could be due to the 'pingdemic' but it's been going on several weeks now. As far as I know there's no hysterical panic buying going on at the moment.

I also read there are some British ex-pats being refused permission to remain in Spain.

Then there's the closure of the Honda factory in Swindon and the row over Northern Ireland which was entirely caused by the UK Tory government who are trying to blame the EU.

But I think Brexiters will be in denial of damage they've caused for a long time because their modus operandi is to blame others, particularly the EU.

I mean, it would take a lot of overwhelming evidence and a fair bit of time before I could start to come round to thinking that Brexit might have been a good thing, so the same would apply to those who think the other way round.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on August 15, 2021, 11:16:27 AM

After that we had no choice but go ahead with Brexit, as has now happened. But that doesn't make it a good thing, it won't stop me and many others from complaining about it.

Precisely.  I merely wonder how long it will take before the Brexiteers realise what a disaster Brexit is turning out to be.

HDQQ

Why is the original poster asking this question?

Even I know that 'leave' won the vote on the day, but by a very small margin. It's not unreasonable to suggest that had the referendum been a week earlier or a week later, or even if the weather had been different, the result might have gone the other way.

I have never questioned the statistical result of the referendum, what I questioned all along was whether a single vote on one day was sufficient confirmation that the UK really wanted to leave the EU. I also believe the referendum should never have been held in the first place and David Cameron only held it because he was scared of UKIP, who ran a hate campaign against the EU.

I said all along that there should be s second confirmatory vote when we knew what the terms of leaving would be. Although we didn't get a second referendum Boris Johnson's Tories won an election where Brexit was the main issue, and that's the closest we got to a second vote.

After that we had no choice but go ahead with Brexit, as has now happened. But that doesn't make it a good thing, it won't stop me and many others from complaining about it.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on August 09, 2021, 05:55:56 PM
Ah, so you don't actually have a fecking clue then, who knew?

If you think I keep the records of 5.6 million people to hand you are stark staring bonkers. (It would also be against the law for me do so.)

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on August 09, 2021, 05:42:14 PM
Sheepy all the information you ask for has been provided in depth and detail across several threads on this forum in recent months.

Those EU citizens applying for settled status in Britain, (some 5.6 million) have to supply on the application form a National Insurance number and an Income Tax reference number.
If you wish know what they are all doing I suggest you put in an FOI request to HMRC and the National Insurance HQ.
Ah, so you don't actually have a fecking clue then, who knew?
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on August 09, 2021, 05:22:25 PM
No, they have been the highest year on year for 10 years or so, so, what they all doing then?

Sheepy all the information you ask for has been provided in depth and detail across several threads on this forum in recent months.

Those EU citizens applying for settled status in Britain, (some 5.6 million) have to supply on the application form a National Insurance number and an Income Tax reference number.
If you wish know what they are all doing I suggest you put in an FOI request to HMRC and the National Insurance HQ.

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on August 09, 2021, 05:19:54 PM
Settled here years ago and working or retired.  Several links have been posted on the subject on the forum.

No, they have been the highest year on year for 10 years or so, so, what they all doing then?

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on August 09, 2021, 05:07:25 PM
So, what they all doing then Einstein? because they ain't picking fruit and Veg as you said yourself.

Settled here years ago and working or retired.  Several links have been posted on the subject on the forum.

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on August 09, 2021, 05:05:42 PM
There are not 10 million here. Don't be ridiculous.
So, what they all doing then Einstein? because they ain't picking fruit and Veg as you said yourself.

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on August 09, 2021, 04:49:57 PM
No what about the other 10 million who are already here?

There are not 10 million here. Don't be ridiculous.

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on August 09, 2021, 04:43:19 PM
There are next to none picking fruit and veg, Priti Patel won't let them back in.
No what about the other 10 million who are already here?

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on August 09, 2021, 03:34:48 PM
Probably true, only 70,000 apparently the others are all picking fruit and veg.

There are next to none picking fruit and veg, Priti Patel won't let them back in.

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on August 09, 2021, 12:43:35 PM
That is frankly total bollocks.
Probably true, only 70,000 apparently the others are all picking fruit and veg.