I wonder how the EU really feels about Brexit?

Started by Borchester, August 03, 2021, 05:57:01 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Nick on August 04, 2021, 10:14:59 AM
In local elections Macron just came fifth.
And it's been suggested that Xavier Bertrand, a politician from the centre-right Les Republicains party, has come forth as a possible Macron challenger...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 04, 2021, 09:56:01 AM
Is there any evidence of that other than the gobby noisy few who get a lot of publicity?

In local elections Macron just came fifth.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 04, 2021, 09:17:59 AM
The French want out of the EU, anything is possible.

Is there any evidence of that other than the gobby noisy few who get a lot of publicity?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 04, 2021, 07:49:38 AM
Le Pen's support is concentrated in only a few areas so I can't see her ever winning.

The French want out of the EU, anything is possible.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on August 03, 2021, 09:02:37 PM
Has she got a chance? I know almost nothing about French politics, but it seems that everytime she gets in sight of the Élysée Palace the French think, yeah well, anyone but her.

Le Pen's support is concentrated in only a few areas so I can't see her ever winning.

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 04, 2021, 07:21:01 AM

The system works by whittling candidates down to two and then having a death match. She's quite well placed to be the subject of a guillotining, and sadly Macron the granny snatcher is most likely to be the executioner.

i dont think macron will win john , not sure le pen will either.

Both are toxic  , macron especially so. Reports im reading is large amounts of french voters becoming totally disillusioned with their politics the way many in the uk were after the premiership of tony blair.

As ever it depends on so many variables.

I would put money on macron not winning though , im more sure of that than anything............
Europe Politics
France has a new conservative leader who's looking to topple President Macron

There's a new face in French politics who could pose a serious challenge to President Emmanuel Macron and his re-election ambitions.

Xavier Bertrand, a politician from the center-right Les Republicains party, won Sunday's regional vote with around 52% of support in the northern region of Hauts-de-France. He beat the candidate from the far right, who got around 26% of the votes, according to exit polls published by France's interior ministry.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/28/frances-xavier-bertrand-macron-and-le-pen-have-a-new-rival-.html

wonder if this guy has a chance? He seems to be slowly but steadily rising in the polls?
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

johnofgwent

Has she got a chance? I know almost nothing about French politics, but it seems that everytime she gets in sight of the Élysée Palace the French think, yeah well, anyone but her.

The system works by whittling candidates down to two and then having a death match. She's quite well placed to be the subject of a guillotining, and sadly Macron the granny snatcher is most likely to be the executioner.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

I think there is an element of that but if you cast your mind back to last year, Macron him self conceded that France would vote leave if given the chance. If that's what they want then they may just suck it up and vote her in for a term just to get the job done.

I also believe the right leaning Lega party are polling above the rest in Italy, with another right wing party in second place. That would give the right 40% of the vote. Not sure Italy can really afford to quit the EU but if they do go, along with France that is the equivalence of Germany pulling out and the EU is toast.

Maybe a lot of wish politics there but if you don't dream.....

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on August 03, 2021, 07:31:25 PM
If Marine gets in I believe they will get their wish, and this just goes to show how flimsy the EU's grip is

Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 03, 2021, 06:46:06 PM
Quite the opposite from my relations in Berlin .  They wish their fellow countrymen had the nerve to follow suit . I guess it depends on who you know , most of mine are  fed up with government in general and just see the EU as something they can do without .
Nothing that would bring the arguments that our leaving did but a  sort of lets just leave  ,whats the problem ?

But the people of Europe are not the EU , the EU will do all they can to make sure Brexit is not seen as a success even though it will be .
We will see who are the mad people when the asylum shuts down and the inmates are let loose , not one of the EU hierarchy will find a job at a national level ,in fact its because they couldnt get elected at a national level that they are there in the first place .
Which maybe should tell you something .

If Marine gets in I believe they will get their wish, and this just goes to show how flimsy the EU's grip is

Nick

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on August 03, 2021, 07:21:15 PM
The domino effect is real.

The sentiment against the EU is rising in other member states. As Daniel Hannan predicted in his wonderful article, the most likely outcome is that most other member states will leave, with Britain forming a new economic with us as de facto leaders (without ECJ, free movement, single market/custom's union and full sovereignty). This bloc would only encompass the northern/western states of the current EU 27.

Union Flag Union Flag Union Flag

You almost kept it together then.

papasmurf

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on August 03, 2021, 07:21:15 PM
As Daniel Hannan predicted in his wonderful article,

Have you bothered to check Daniel Hannan's background? His opinion is worth nothing.

HallowedBrexit

The domino effect is real.

The sentiment against the EU is rising in other member states. As Daniel Hannan predicted in his wonderful article, the most likely outcome is that most other member states will leave, with Britain forming a new economic with us as de facto leaders (without ECJ, free movement, single market/custom's union and full sovereignty). This bloc would only encompass the northern/western states of the current EU 27.

Union Flag Union Flag Union Flag

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on August 03, 2021, 06:04:25 PM
European friends and acquaintances of mine seem to universally think Britain was and is mad.

Quite the opposite from my relations in Berlin .  They wish their fellow countrymen had the nerve to follow suit . I guess it depends on who you know , most of mine are  fed up with government in general and just see the EU as something they can do without .
Nothing that would bring the arguments that our leaving did but a  sort of lets just leave  ,whats the problem ?

But the people of Europe are not the EU , the EU will do all they can to make sure Brexit is not seen as a success even though it will be .
We will see who are the mad people when the asylum shuts down and the inmates are let loose , not one of the EU hierarchy will find a job at a national level ,in fact its because they couldnt get elected at a national level that they are there in the first place .
Which maybe should tell you something .

patman post

Brexit is causing a lot of energy, time and money to be spent overcoming the additional procedures and restrictions now being thrown up.   

One plus point of this whole dog's Brexit is that it's ensuring employment for those spending their time and skills devising ways to progress...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...