I wonder how the EU really feels about Brexit?

Started by Borchester, August 03, 2021, 05:57:01 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Ryanair is the Addison-Lee of airlines — except AL usually take you to where you want to go, and doesn't drop you off at another journey's distance from your intended destination. 

My recollection is that Bob Crowe (RIP) was equating tude drivers with a captain's salary for a major airline of £75K-£90K... 

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on August 04, 2021, 02:47:23 PM
Tube drivers union leaders once reckoned tube drivers should be paid as much as airline pilots — people can have inflated ideas of their real worth...

That's immaterial, if there is such a shortage why are the rates not going up?

Ryanair pilots start on £40K plus. Are you sure they want that?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Tube drivers union leaders once reckoned tube drivers should be paid as much as airline pilots — people can have inflated ideas of their real worth...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on August 04, 2021, 01:53:20 PM
Covid and the Ever Given blocking the Suez Canal can't be used to screen goods and driver shortages for ever — or perhaps they can...

I spoke to my cousin (ex-driver) about this yesterday and the reason there is a shortage is that the hourly rate is so low. People have moved to different jobs during COVID and there is no incentive to go back due to the rates, not really down to Brexit.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on August 04, 2021, 02:11:56 PM

(There is a shortage that does appear odd though, Chlorine.)
It's possibly being touted as a personal Covid suppressant by those trading on gullible anti-vaxxers — or it could be the cause of the strange marine life Turkish fishermen are now finding in the Med...

Apologies, forgot the link:    https://www.dailysabah.com/turkey/turkey-now-home-to-worst-invasive-fish-species/news

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on August 04, 2021, 01:53:20 PM
Covid and the Ever Given blocking the Suez Canal can't be used to screen goods and driver shortages for ever — or perhaps they can...

The Ever Given large as it is, would only be a fraction of total goods, it never was an excuse for the 60000, (some state 100000 number of LGV (HGV,) drivers short of requirement. Plus most of the goods shortages/delays are from Europe.
(There is a shortage that does appear odd though, Chlorine.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 04, 2021, 01:46:54 PM
A 1/10th is a fraction same as 9/10th is a fraction. What fraction is it Pappy? Even 5% is still 25 million quids worth of food and that is just one of hundreds of ships delayed by months.

It is not a lot though which is why I asked where you got the information.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 04, 2021, 01:41:30 PMA fraction of the payload was perishable goods

A 1/10th is a fraction same as 9/10th is a fraction. What fraction is it Pappy? Even 5% is still 25 million quids worth of food and that is just one of hundreds of ships delayed by months.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 04, 2021, 12:59:06 PM
The Evergiven has just docked in the U.K. carrying £500 million in goods, a lot of which is now rotten food.

Where are you getting that information please? (I am questioning a "lot of which.")

https://www.railfreight.com/railfreight/2021/08/04/ever-given-reaches-felixstowe-uk/?gdpr=accept

Will all that trade be recovered? Probably not. Certainly, not all of the cargo on the Ever given will be recovered. A fraction of the payload was perishable goods,

patman post

Don't you find it amazing the amount of perishable food for the UK that has to come via the Suez Canal? Must be all this Australian and NZ beef, lamb and dairy produce we thought our farmers were only threatened with...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on August 04, 2021, 11:29:30 AMThe increase in empty shelves in UK supermarkets is an early indication of the empty claims of "oven-ready" deals

The Evergiven has just docked in the U.K. carrying £500 million in goods, a lot of which is now rotten food. A 100 ships were stuck behind it, all being delayed, so you can't point to empty shelves (not in my supermarkets) being a result of Brexit. Also the little matter of a worldwide pandemic.

patman post

Not sure in what context people here are referring to "the EU" and "its" feelings. Almost any organisation has carping dissent from within its ranks and other hangers-on. As an example, Greece — a country that almost to a citizen thought the EU treated it badly during its economic crisis — still believes it's better off in the EU than outside.   

The economies of France and Italy have done well as have founding members. Perhaps the one that's sacrificed most is Germany, both through the cost of reuniting its country, and in supporting the wider community. But even it sees benefits in supporting and belonging to the EU. 

Even Norway, which has rejected EEC (now EU) membership by popular vote margins similar to the UK's, recognises its economy and wealth are enhanced by close association with EU, and chooses which EU directives and laws benefit it, and pays its way.     

What I don't understand is the immature playground hopes for the EU to fail, even to the point of doing the UK harm, just because they don't want to join in. The excuse of wanting laws to be made in the UK and not in Brussels (from straight bananas to open rear London busses) is both a face saver and a farcical misrepresentation of the facts. 

Just as some in the UK continue to crow "UK good EU bad", some in the EU, who are proud of its achievements, promote its successes. The increase in empty shelves in UK supermarkets is an early indication of the empty claims of "oven-ready" deals, and misunderstanding of the labour force, while UK govt officials parade around the world like street girls looking for trade...

papasmurf