I wonder how the EU really feels about Brexit?

Started by Borchester, August 03, 2021, 05:57:01 PM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 10, 2021, 06:59:06 PM
Really?

So when Ireland Joined the Euro zone and suddenly had the fastest growing economy in the world do you not think it was a coincidence that the IRA all disappeared?
No it wasn't, they were told in no uncertain terms to get lost and not make a sound, in case they screwed it up for the country. They were left in peace to turn their hand to drugs and prostitution without any taps on the shoulder from the police. The EU indirectly instigated that process by handing out big wads of cash.
Hum..
What about Mo Mowlan, John Hume, David Trimble, Gerry Adams, Clinton, Blair and the EU. These people, bodies and many others brought about the end to the troubles. Only possible with the GFA, who knew it would become such a sticky thorn only 30 odd yrs later.
IRL has always been a very strong supporter of the EU and the Euro.
Let me refresh your memory, it was the UK that signed that document. Without which there would be no agreement, IRL signed it and were very happy with the terms. It was a brilliant solution that kept everyone happy.

You think Ireland were told to sign  :D  i suppose you have some evidence of that, what was it about the GFA that IRL didn't like and where the EU just said 'get on with it'

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 09, 2021, 05:50:03 PMWhats that on the side of the bus "let's fund our NHS instead"

Nowhere does it say £350 million is going to the NHS. Scotomisation at it's best.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 10, 2021, 06:47:52 PMI've listened on here for yrs how the EU would tell IRL what to do, never happened.

Really?

So when Ireland Joined the Euro zone and suddenly had the fastest growing economy in the world do you not think it was a coincidence that the IRA all disappeared?
No it wasn't, they were told in no uncertain terms to get lost and not make a sound, in case they screwed it up for the country. They were left in peace to turn their hand to drugs and prostitution without any taps on the shoulder from the police. The EU indirectly instigated that process by handing out big wads of cash.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on September 10, 2021, 06:32:20 PM
And there I'll leave it Gerry tried to be as honest as possible in my reply to you and you determine to slag the Brits and Brexit as sole villains and it's not that simple or true but I doubt you'll ever see it that way.
I could say the same to you. The facts speak for themselves. Brexit is very much an English want. I don't see villains, but I do see that NI wasn't in any way considered. I've listened on here for yrs how the EU would tell IRL what to do, never happened.  There was a belief in the UK that they could bully the EU into accepting what the UK wanted, that didn't happen, now the UK says the EU is interfering, how ??
If the UK had Sat down and discussed with all parties to the union, English, Welsh, Scottish and NI and come up with a Brexit that worked for all groups then you wouldn't have this mess. Totally down to the UK. And totally down to the UK to come up with a solution. Whats England doing, its reorganising voting areas which surprise is taking seats out of Wales and Scotland and away from Labour to Tory. Thats some Govt you voted in.

Villains, no, sole responsibility for this current situation yes.

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on September 10, 2021, 05:23:19 PM
Time will tell, I don't see republican paramilitaries kicking off, their getting everything they want. If unionists do start its debateable if the IRA would retaliate, they may not, leaving the Police to deal with it and the international press to condemn the UK's handling of the situation. That scenario will push more people in the north away from the UK so it's entirely possible you will just see UVF attacking civilian targets or possibly police/army targets.
You might call them Irish people but these are currently British people, their part of the UK.
And there I'll leave it Gerry tried to be as honest as possible in my reply to you and you determine to slag the Brits and Brexit as sole villains and it's not that simple or true but I doubt you'll ever see it that way.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on September 10, 2021, 04:18:37 PM
Can't you Gerry well I can.

And despite our obvious differences it's not something I  would wish on the Irish people and when I said it's not just a short term issue I meant just that.

There's some mad bastards on both sides,whatever the opinion one side sees the border issue down to Dublin the eu and republicanism and will react......badly.

Time will tell, I don't see republican paramilitaries kicking off, their getting everything they want. If unionists do start its debateable if the IRA would retaliate, they may not, leaving the Police to deal with it and the international press to condemn the UK's handling of the situation. That scenario will push more people in the north away from the UK so it's entirely possible you will just see UVF attacking civilian targets or possibly police/army targets.
You might call them Irish people but these are currently British people, their part of the UK.

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on September 10, 2021, 01:32:42 PM
No doubt there will be the odd flareup but I can't see anything substantive happening. But it will be on this Govt to resolve and any deaths are totally on Johnson's govt.

If he had any wish to keep the UK as a single country he could have gone hard brexit. He would have still broken the GFA, a whole different set of problems, but not falling out with the EU/USA was obviously more important to him than keeping his country together.

As for the opening post. In my opinion the EU pre brexit would def have liked the UK to stay or if leaving to have a very close relationship. That sentiment would still be there today. The EU would also see the UK Govt as having two faces, one that deals with the EU one way, and can sit down and broker deals and then the other face where it feels it needs to report domestically as if it's a battle and the UK are beating the EU. Finally most Europeans don't actually think much if ever about brexit and the UK, it's really just not that important in their daily lives, when it does come up they just wish the UK would get on with it and stop sitting on the fence.
It's different in IRL due to our historic ties and business relationships, again most peoples lives aren't affected and we are hearing less and less about Brexit now in the media.
Can't you Gerry well I can.

And despite our obvious differences it's not something I  would wish on the Irish people and when I said it's not just a short term issue I meant just that.

There's some mad bastards on both sides,whatever the opinion one side sees the border issue down to Dublin the eu and republicanism and will react......badly.

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on September 10, 2021, 01:06:08 PM
Looking long term unless there's a change I think you are in for a surprise.
No doubt there will be the odd flareup but I can't see anything substantive happening. But it will be on this Govt to resolve and any deaths are totally on Johnson's govt.

If he had any wish to keep the UK as a single country he could have gone hard brexit. He would have still broken the GFA, a whole different set of problems, but not falling out with the EU/USA was obviously more important to him than keeping his country together.

As for the opening post. In my opinion the EU pre brexit would def have liked the UK to stay or if leaving to have a very close relationship. That sentiment would still be there today. The EU would also see the UK Govt as having two faces, one that deals with the EU one way, and can sit down and broker deals and then the other face where it feels it needs to report domestically as if it's a battle and the UK are beating the EU. Finally most Europeans don't actually think much if ever about brexit and the UK, it's really just not that important in their daily lives, when it does come up they just wish the UK would get on with it and stop sitting on the fence.
It's different in IRL due to our historic ties and business relationships, again most peoples lives aren't affected and we are hearing less and less about Brexit now in the media.

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on September 10, 2021, 11:10:48 AM
A very different dynamic. Back in the late 60's there was a very different situation, Catholics were fighting in NI for equal rights, this wasn't appreciated by the unionist community who struck out at these communities. The re-emergence of the IRA was in response to these attacks, to defend the catholic population. This in turn saw an increase of unionist paramilitaries.
Today most Unionists/Catholics don't see each other as a section of the community that are of lesser worth, they may not like each other, their may be deep rooted mistrust or even hate, but to most parts they just want to get on with their lives. Neither community wants to go back to those times.
Maybe some blame the EU/IRL, but most realise what's actually happening and with time the penny will drop with most. The UK are making all the decisions, in reality that's England, the direction Brexit took is totally their doing, the decision to have an internal border is fully a English decision. The DUP are aiming their anger at Westminster, not the EU and not IRL.

So what are Unionist paramilitaries going to fight, the country they see themselves a part of is the country that is cutting them adrift. Their success in the past was possible with the support of the Army and Police who offered protection and intelligence, that's gone now. Support on the ground from the unionist community is also gone, there's no appetite to go back to those times.

If it does kick off it will fall on Johnson and the UK govt to sort it out and a lot of international pressure will be brought onto the UK to see that happens. The US, especially the current administration and the EU are very much strong supporters of the peace process. You might see the odd idiot, fuelled with Johnson's & DUP lies about how the UK internal border is the EU's fault, but that can't be helped. Idiots are Idiots.
Looking long term unless there's a change I think you are in for a surprise.

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on September 10, 2021, 09:57:19 AM
If you knew anything you'd know they are estimated to have 12500 members and hidden arms caches.

They are angry and are in to criminal activity, whilst they aren't fans of Boris their main ire is directed toward what they see as eu and Dublin interference.

A very different dynamic. Back in the late 60's there was a very different situation, Catholics were fighting in NI for equal rights, this wasn't appreciated by the unionist community who struck out at these communities. The re-emergence of the IRA was in response to these attacks, to defend the catholic population. This in turn saw an increase of unionist paramilitaries.
Today most Unionists/Catholics don't see each other as a section of the community that are of lesser worth, they may not like each other, their may be deep rooted mistrust or even hate, but to most parts they just want to get on with their lives. Neither community wants to go back to those times.
Maybe some blame the EU/IRL, but most realise what's actually happening and with time the penny will drop with most. The UK are making all the decisions, in reality that's England, the direction Brexit took is totally their doing, the decision to have an internal border is fully a English decision. The DUP are aiming their anger at Westminster, not the EU and not IRL.

So what are Unionist paramilitaries going to fight, the country they see themselves a part of is the country that is cutting them adrift. Their success in the past was possible with the support of the Army and Police who offered protection and intelligence, that's gone now. Support on the ground from the unionist community is also gone, there's no appetite to go back to those times.

If it does kick off it will fall on Johnson and the UK govt to sort it out and a lot of international pressure will be brought onto the UK to see that happens. The US, especially the current administration and the EU are very much strong supporters of the peace process. You might see the odd idiot, fuelled with Johnson's & DUP lies about how the UK internal border is the EU's fault, but that can't be helped. Idiots are Idiots.

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on September 10, 2021, 12:24:16 AM
🤣🤣🤣 if you knew anything you would know the unionist paramilitaries are weak. For many reasons, first and foremost is they were supported and defended by the UK army/police. That won't happen today, secondly they have no reason to fight, its not their country, their fighting for a portion of what is another country, hard to get patriotic about that.
How you even think their a plausible threat to Sinn Fein is astounding, if they kick off, it will be UK police, UK army, UK politicians dealing with them. Not Sinn Fein, not the Irish.
Its Johnson thats creating this mess and it will be him that will be held responsible and it will be him to clean it up.

Brexit just keeps on giving.
If you knew anything you'd know they are estimated to have 12500 members and hidden arms caches.

They are angry and are in to criminal activity,whilst they aren't fans of Boris their main ire is directed toward what they see as eu and Dublin interference.

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on September 09, 2021, 11:18:34 PM
Ah I see so you were stumped and try to cover....... badly.

OK Gerry I thought you more savvy,obviously not so I'll spell it out for you,as said its not the dup or the assembly but the paramilitary (or organised crims to be more precise) who really oppose Sinn Fein as you well know (or should) and don't give a rats arse for the dup,Dublin,the eu or Johnson for that matter.....so like I said good luck with them Gerry.
🤣🤣🤣 if you knew anything you would know the unionist paramilitaries are weak. For many reasons, first and foremost is they were supported and defended by the UK army/police. That won't happen today, secondly they have no reason to fight, its not their country, their fighting for a portion of what is another country, hard to get patriotic about that.
How you even think their a plausible threat to Sinn Fein is astounding, if they kick off, it will be UK police, UK army, UK politicians dealing with them. Not Sinn Fein, not the Irish.
Its Johnson thats creating this mess and it will be him that will be held responsible and it will be him to clean it up.

Brexit just keeps on giving.

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on September 09, 2021, 11:08:00 PM
if you've a point to make, make. If you keep asking me to make your point for you, then its DUP and Johnson & the twits.
Ah I see so you were stumped and try to cover....... badly.

OK Gerry I thought you more savvy,obviously not so I'll spell it out for you,as said its not the dup or the assembly but the paramilitary (or organised crims to be more precise) who really oppose Sinn Fein as you well know (or should) and don't give a rats arse for the dup,Dublin,the eu or Johnson for that matter.....so like I said good luck with them Gerry.

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on September 09, 2021, 11:01:32 PM
Really? quote the post.
if you've a point to make, make. If you keep asking me to make your point for you, then its DUP and Johnson & the twits.

cromwell