I wonder how the EU really feels about Brexit?

Started by Borchester, August 03, 2021, 05:57:01 PM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: papasmurf on September 14, 2021, 03:42:59 PM
Across a wide range of subjects.
I'm facing him with simple to comprehend facts and he just keeps saying no. Only in religion do you get this level of blind belief.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 14, 2021, 03:54:24 PM
And your opinion is that Germany are not pulling the strings so show me evidence that they are not!
Its not an opinion, its fact. I've shown you how the 3 power bodies within the EU are formed, mainly elected people or nominees of elected people. These bodies make decisions by voting. Their Facts, not opinions.

So you tell me in the EU council or commission when Germany has one vote how they control business. Or how 96 MEPs out of 705 control things.
Bring it home, if in the UK Parliament Johnson has less than 14% of the seats, how would he control things.

Your just hot air. Just because alot of UK people believe a union must have a supreme leader and that in the EU its Germany or France, it doesn't make that a fact. Just alot of ignorant people.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 14, 2021, 03:40:01 PMAll you have are opinions

And your opinion is that Germany are not pulling the strings so show me evidence that they are not!
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: GerryT on September 14, 2021, 03:40:01 PM

You're very confused Nick, you believe the propaganda you have been fed for so long.

Across a wide range of subjects.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 14, 2021, 03:16:59 PM
This thread is about Brexit so why are you trying to turn the post to measuring the U.K. against Ireland? If you want to discuss exports relative to Brexit well get this, the U.K. exports to the EU are now back to the levels we were at in June 2019, and that's with 18 months of Covid. The only dip being Jan / Feb of this year.

The devils in the details, the UK counts goods shipped into the UK and back out straight to the EU. If these are removed there's a 27% drop in UK exports to the EU. BUt who said Brexit was a cliff edge, brexiters mainly. Most others, myself included saw it as a "death by a thousand cuts" sort of thing. As Rees Mogg stated, give it 50yrs and we will see where we are at.

The British figures on exports to the EU contrast sharply with recent data from Eurostat. This showed a 27% fall in EU imports from Britain for the first four months of 2021, due largely to a change in methodology on Jan. 1 to no longer count goods shipped from Britain which originated further afield.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-still-imports-more-outside-eu-than-bloc-gap-narrowing-2021-07-09/

The thread is actually about EU attitudes to Brexit, most wouldn't see it as a recommendation to leave the EU, they would also thing the UK are thinking with their heart and not their head longing for a time long gone. That the UK was never really a committed club member, it just doesn't sit well with the UK, so this should help address that issue.

As for Germany, do you think your outline of the EU chain of command would really show the fact Germany pulls most of the strings? The UN is controlled by the USA but it's not outlined anywhere in its literature.
You're very confused Nick, you believe the propaganda you have been fed for so long. The power is with the people that make the decisions, write the laws, spend the money. All you have are opinions, which belong in a drawer along "they need us more than we need them" or "easiest trade deal in human history" or "350m a week lets spend it on our NHS instead". All these are, are opinions, no facts. Germany in no way controls the EU, you can't give an example. All you showed was how the EU may fine Germany for breaching EU rules, but it prob won't at the end of the day as it very seldom fines member states. What you said was Germany controls the EU, where's your evidence ?

papasmurf

If you want to discuss exports relative to Brexit well get this, the U.K. exports to the EU are now back to the levels we were at in June 2019, and that's with 18 months of Covid. The only dip being Jan / Feb of this year.

All is not sweetness and light, still problems that can't be ignored and are not "teething problems." (The bi-valve mollusc export ban to the EU looks permanent.)
More at link:-
https://www.export.org.uk/news/567785/A-tenth-of-British-exports-to-the-EU-have-faced-tariffs-since-the-start-of-2021-new-research-finds.htm

A tenth of British exports to the EU have faced tariffs since the start of 2021, new research finds
01 June 2021   (0 Comments)
Posted by: Noelle McElhatton
Up to £3.5bn of British exports to the EU have paid tariffs they did not have to, according to new research.

Analysis of EU statistics by the University of Sussex's Trade Policy Observatory (TPO) has found that about 10% of British exports to the EU paid tariffs unnecessarily, the BBC reports.

Although the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement (TCA) was indicated as a 'no quotas and no tariffs' deal, exporters do not automatically benefit from zero tariffs.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/economicoutputandproductivity/output/articles/ukeconomylatest/2021-01-25

UK exports to the European Union fell 6.5% in July 2021
10 September 2021

EU-exit and the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic have caused higher levels of volatility in trade statistics in the past two years.

In July 2021, total UK exports of goods, excluding precious metals, fell by £0.3 billion (1.0%) because of a £0.9 billion (6.5%) fall in exports to the EU, while exports to non-EU countries increased by £0.7 billion (5.0%).

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 14, 2021, 01:53:49 PMI said exports Nick, exports. That's the part of an economy that brings money into your country, its wanted. Imports on the other hand sends money out and is not encouraged. Not knowing what I was talking about is making you look foolish Nick.

This thread is about Brexit so why are you trying to turn the post to measuring the U.K. against Ireland? If you want to discuss exports relative to Brexit well get this, the U.K. exports to the EU are now back to the levels we were at in June 2019, and that's with 18 months of Covid. The only dip being Jan / Feb of this year.

As for Germany, do you think your outline of the EU chain of command would really show the fact Germany pulls most of the strings? The UN is controlled by the USA but it's not outlined anywhere in its literature.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 14, 2021, 11:26:12 AM
The U.K. is the 5 largest economy in the world, Ireland 29, look at GDP Gerry.
You're just making yourself look foolish.
I said exports Nick, exports. That's the part of an economy that brings money into your country, its wanted. Imports on the other hand sends money out and is not encouraged. Not knowing what I was talking about is making you look foolish Nick.

Where's that proof that Germany, as a country, rules the EU and tells the other countries what to do. I gave you a quick summary on how it works, which you seem to ignore.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 14, 2021, 01:20:13 PM
Yes it is, I was responding to the relative richness of Britain.

And this thread is about the EU's view on Brexit.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 14, 2021, 01:09:47 PM
Not to this thread you didn't.

Yes it is, I was responding to the relative richness of Britain.

Nick

papasmurf

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 14, 2021, 11:31:29 AM
Which makes the levels of poverty in Britain a national disgrace, especially with a totally out of touch with reality and even facts that are produced by her own ministry:-

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/universal-credit-cut-therese-coffey-b1919269.html

Work and pensions secretary Therese Coffey under fire for universal credit cut gaffe
Cabinet minister wrongly claims just two extra hours of work can recoup a £20-a-week loss – but refuses to admit mistake

Rob Merrick
Deputy Political Editor
18 hours ago

This is not a Tory bad thread Paps.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 14, 2021, 11:26:12 AM
The U.K. is the 5 largest economy in the world,

Which makes the levels of poverty in Britain a national disgrace, especially with a totally out of touch with reality and even facts that are produced by her own ministry:-

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/universal-credit-cut-therese-coffey-b1919269.html

Work and pensions secretary Therese Coffey under fire for universal credit cut gaffe
Cabinet minister wrongly claims just two extra hours of work can recoup a £20-a-week loss – but refuses to admit mistake

Rob Merrick
Deputy Political Editor
18 hours ago

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 14, 2021, 11:06:10 AM
The UK seems to think its a global leader, but that hasn't been the case for over 100yrs. Look at it this way, UK exports of goods and services 2020 was $880b but Ireland was $502b. Surprising a country 13 times the size of Ireland is doing less than 1.8 times more export trade.

The U.K. is the 5 largest economy in the world, Ireland 29, look at GDP Gerry.
You're just making yourself look foolish.