I wonder how the EU really feels about Brexit?

Started by Borchester, August 03, 2021, 05:57:01 PM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on September 16, 2021, 01:43:50 PM
I thought Gerry was all for leaving the EU to get on with it, without interference from the UK or the Yanks?
Just cannot please some people.
Yep I've always been talking about leaving the EU

T00ts

Quote from: GerryT on September 16, 2021, 12:29:47 PMwith a user name like cromwell im not surprised this comment blew your mind,

Ref #249  I've learned something today then - I've had a sex change!  :)

GerryT

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 16, 2021, 01:28:53 PM

Strange that you believe that.

Who should they swear allegiance to then ?

The Cause .... ?
Who are they
Do UK politicians, like Johnson swear an oath. How does that sit with you when he was found guilty in court for lying to the Queen, in an official govt. position. Does the oath mean anything ? if not whats the point of it, is it just ceremony for you ?

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 16, 2021, 12:41:53 PM
Don't remember the majority wanting a million Syrians.
Nobody wanted 1m refugees, it was a problem that was put to Europe, not just the EU.
Germany taking 800,00 was an act of mercy and was a German not an EU act.
You keep thinking the EU is a country, its not. My comment was about what the EU does, which covers acts that the EU has competence in, it doesn't concern itself outside of that

Your ignorance of the EU, where I guess you spent the majority of your life is quite staggering, it really is.

The man that thinks Germany rules the EU, based solely on a photo. Would you voice those opinions in public, you must be a great source of entertainment.

Sheepy

I thought Gerry was all for leaving the EU to get on with it, without interference from the UK or the Yanks?
Just cannot please some people.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

johnofgwent

Quote from: GerryT on September 16, 2021, 01:06:29 AM
I've always felt individual countries shouldn't be allowed to have armies.

Strange that you believe that.

Who should they swear allegiance to then ?

The Cause .... ?
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on September 16, 2021, 01:12:41 AM
No, that's not true at all. While in the EU the UK was too busy trying to undermine it and opt out of EU policies/decisions. The EU has always taken the direction the majority wanted.

Don't remember the majority wanting a million Syrians.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: T00ts on September 16, 2021, 09:46:10 AM
This comment blew my mind. You don't say that no-one should have armies only that individual countries should not. Have you really thought that through? So China who currently has the largest fleet in the world and possible the largest army too should combine with who? Russia? What chance would the EU have then?
Yes I'm sure they would join together and who would control the joined army...never happening.
Its individual countries and their armies that have caused the problems since time began. Theres no country with an army that has been only a bright beacon of light. But combined forces, such at nato or the UN.
I would greatly welcome the 27 countries of the EU vastly reducing their individual spend on their armies so a combined EU army could be set up with each country providing money/personal.
First this would allow pooled resourcing, giving a greater equipped and intelligent army for far less spend
Second the chance of one country going half cooked like a mad man invading other countries, you must know plenty of examples of countries doing this reckless act.
Third, the perceived power the USA has in nato would be neutralised, demands like when trump was making for more spending (nutjob) could be swept sideways.
Fourth, the money spent would be focused for the land mass of the EU and its external borders, where cyber is the biggest threat moving forward and security becomes more important this is so much better combated, far less chance of a weak link if you can comprehend that, prob not.

Individual countries with armies are a threat to mankind, with a user name like toots i'm surprised you would support weapons of mass destruction, what are you teaching them in that dance class !

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 16, 2021, 11:42:44 AM

Well she would...

For decades the security marking "NATO CONFIDENTIAL" meant "For gawds sake don't tell this to the French"....

That predates NATO. It started out as don't tell De Gaulle.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on September 15, 2021, 08:52:52 PM
Well I did say,and now Mrs von der liar wants an eu military independent of NATO.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58570505

Well she would...

For decades the security marking "NATO CONFIDENTIAL" meant "For gawds sake don't tell this to the French"....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: GerryT on September 16, 2021, 01:06:29 AM
This is great news, I've always felt individual countries shouldn't be allowed to have armies. But I don't think this will be what would be considered feet on the ground army. It will prob involve a lot of security and intelligence work.
But you say this as if it's a bad thing, weird. Bet you wished you'd stayed in the EU, the UK could have saved a fortune by not flushing good money down the drain on army crap.

This comment blew my mind. You don't say that no-one should have armies only that individual countries should not. Have you really thought that through? So China who currently has the largest fleet in the world and possible the largest army too should combine with who? Russia? What chance would the EU have then?

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

GerryT

Quote from: T00ts on September 15, 2021, 09:25:48 PM
So many were set on persuading everyone that this would not happen. Was it true that one of the influences we had while in the EU was to manage to hold the more extreme elements at bay? Perhaps without us they can now create their vision. That's if they survive long enough.
No, that's not true at all. While in the EU the UK was too busy trying to undermine it and opt out of EU policies/decisions. The EU has always taken the direction the majority wanted.

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on September 15, 2021, 10:00:48 PM
Well perhaps as she is so enthusiastic about the idea they should put her in charge,I mean she was a stunning success with the Bundeswehr wasn't she?

What could possibly go wrong  :)
https://www.politico.eu/article/the-scandal-hanging-over-ursula-von-der-leyen/
So you think a govt official that gives lucrative contracts to friends should be severely dealt with. good to know, lets not look at the PPE contracts or that ferry contract, nothing to see here.

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on September 15, 2021, 08:52:52 PM
Well I did say,and now Mrs von der liar wants an eu military independent of NATO.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58570505
This is great news, I've always felt individual countries shouldn't be allowed to have armies. But I don't think this will be what would be considered feet on the ground army. It will prob involve a lot of security and intelligence work.
But you say this as if it's a bad thing, weird. Bet you wished you'd stayed in the EU, the UK could have saved a fortune by not flushing good money down the drain on army crap.