Just got back from the doctor

Started by Borchester, August 09, 2021, 04:11:22 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 11, 2021, 10:50:50 AM

In days gone by, GPs would sneak off to consult a book called the Monthly Index of Medical Specialties or MIMS which listed drugs, effects, side effects and symptoms of diseases they cured.

They still do, only it is online:- https://www.mims.co.uk/  as is MERCK  https://www.rsc.org/merck-index
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on August 11, 2021, 10:05:42 AM
This made me laugh. I feel exactly the same. The most worrying aspect of GPs of the new generation is how much they have to look things up on the computer while I am talking to them - not that anyone has felt confident enough to talk to me face to face in many many months.

It has made me reflect on just how 'essential' some of the tests they insist on dragging me in for since I reached a certain age. I have had threats of repeat prescriptions being abandoned unless in the past... which seemed not only rude since it's my health not their's - but designed to intimidate which doesn't allow much confidence in their ability on anything. I guess a bedside manner is also out of the window. These essential tests seem to have lost their importance over the last year plus. It's been nothing if not interesting.

The "essential" tests are the ones the practice manager requires be done so the practice can claim the sizeable amount of loot that comes with compliance with the latest government whim.

In days gone by, GPs would sneak off to consult a book called the Monthly Index of Medical Specialties or MIMS which listed drugs, effects, side effects and symptoms of diseases they cured.

As a biochemist I of course had access but had old copies long before then as mum was a GPs receptionist. I also had the MERCK index and British Pharmacopoiea on my bookshelf so the conversations between me and my GP (who I trained in his early years) were probably a tad different from the norm .... It's hard for a doctor to Initiate their God Complex Aura in the presence of their former teachers, and the Hippocratic oath keeps it that way.....

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

This made me laugh. I feel exactly the same. The most worrying aspect of GPs of the new generation is how much they have to look things up on the computer while I am talking to them - not that anyone has felt confident enough to talk to me face to face in many many months.

It has made me reflect on just how 'essential' some of the tests they insist on dragging me in for since I reached a certain age. I have had threats of repeat prescriptions being abandoned unless in the past... which seemed not only rude since it's my health not their's - but designed to intimidate which doesn't allow much confidence in their ability on anything. I guess a bedside manner is also out of the window. These essential tests seem to have lost their importance over the last year plus. It's been nothing if not interesting.

Sheepy

Quote from: Borchester on August 09, 2021, 04:11:22 PM
Nice lad, but he spent most of his time bunnying away about the treatment, pausing only to ask if I understood to which I replied no, not a lot.

So he started again until I said look, thanks very much doctor, but my assumption is that you know your stuff and if you don't then I am buggered anyway.

When I was a lad and if his opinion was questioned, our family doctor would turn to the various medical diplomas on his surgery wall and say, funny thing, I can't see your name on any of those certificates. Then the patients would go away and get better, largely because they were afraid not too.

This modern medication is all very well, but I want medics who have confidence in themselves, not some spotty bummed kid who wants to talk through the issues
You should have told him straight Borchester it was a long bus ride and unless he gets your carriage of choice fixed, you will be back with more issues.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borchester

Nice lad, but he spent most of his time bunnying away about the treatment, pausing only to ask if I understood to which I replied no, not a lot.

So he started again until I said look, thanks very much doctor, but my assumption is that you know your stuff and if you don't then I am buggered anyway.

When I was a lad and if his opinion was questioned, our family doctor would turn to the various medical diplomas on his surgery wall and say, funny thing, I can't see your name on any of those certificates. Then the patients would go away and get better, largely because they were afraid not too.

This modern medication is all very well, but I want medics who have confidence in themselves, not some spotty bummed kid who wants to talk through the issues
Algerie Francais !