UK to start testing cosmetics on animals again

Started by Borchester, August 11, 2021, 10:07:42 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 11, 2021, 10:22:51 AM

but is this what Boris REALLY wants, or has he bought the water cannon again .....

Dunno.

I have just had the thought that maybe Boris leaked the information, so that he could be seen  to rush to the defence of our furry friends and thereby experience an agreeable rise in his approval ratings.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on August 11, 2021, 10:31:58 AM
Bojo-The-Clown has brought in new legislation that comes very close to making protest impossible so things could get interesting.

I shall watch with popcorn salted ....

It's been a while since we made paraplegics from terrorists. I'm looking forward to watching the revival.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 11, 2021, 10:22:51 AM
but is this what Boris REALLY wants, or has he bought the water cannon again .....

Bojo-The-Clown has brought in new legislation that comes very close to making protest impossible so things could get interesting.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on August 11, 2021, 10:19:41 AM
I expect the "usual suspects," will be planning action against it already.

Most on the list I have are geriatric now. There's something quaint about the idea of having to balance on a Zimmer frame as you throw the molatov ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

As probably the only forum member ever to have held a home office license allowing me to actually do this, and certainly the only one big enough to admit it....

(We never got involved in those types of tests btw, I had more important things to sacrifice animals to than making women look pretty). But the ALF nailbombed and firebombed us on the basis we could if we wanted to, so we considered them fair game to replace the animals in our experiments for the same reason.....

WHY Caw Blimey

What possible cosmetic product can possibly have been invented that is SO new it's base materials have not already been so well documented that it needs retesting.

Look, I like seeing animal liberation extremists crushed, kicked, injured, multilated and killed as mush as the next lab coat wearer, and I freely admit I look forward to the new opportunitues to cull them in defence of my fellow scientists these revisions will bring, but is this what Boris REALLY wants, or has he bought the water cannon again .....

papasmurf

I expect the "usual suspects," will be planning action against it already.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/aug/11/uk-could-allow-animal-tests-for-cosmetic-ingredients-for-first-time-since-1998

Ministers have opened the door to expanding the use of animal testing to ingredients used in cosmetic products for the first time in 23 years, an animal welfare charity has said.

Cruelty Free International (CFI) said animal testing on ingredients exclusively used in cosmetics – which was banned in the UK in 1998 – could be required, after being told by the Home Office that the government had "reconsidered its policy."

In a letter, the government said it was aligning itself with a decision made last year by the appeals board of the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA), which said that some ingredients used only in cosmetics needed to be tested on animals to ensure they were safe.

The Home Office insisted that UK law on animal testing had not changed, but campaigners warned that accepting the ECHA's ruling could lead to a much wider use of animal testing.

The ECHA ruled that German chemicals firm Symrise had to carry out animal tests on two ingredients used solely in cosmetics to satisfy chemicals regulations, overruling EU restrictions on animal testing of cosmetic ingredients. The ingredients are widely used across a range of cosmetics.

In a letter sent to CFI and seen by the Guardian, the Home Office said it aimed to "publicly clarify its position now with the formal publication of an updated policy and regulatory guidance".

CFI has warned that by aligning itself with the ECHA decision, the UK would be "blowing a hole" in its leadership on animal testing.
Algerie Francais !