Riots 10 years on: The five summer nights when London burned

Started by GBNews, August 11, 2021, 07:00:45 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Given that the plod don't generally tell victims of crime and residents impacted by having their homes turned into crime scenes anything, why should a violent criminals relatives expect superior treatment ?
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: News on August 11, 2021, 07:00:45 PM
Riots 10 years on: The five summer nights when London burned

In August 2011 a man was shot dead by police in London, triggering the worst civil unrest in decades.

Source: Riots 10 years on: The five summer nights when London burned
I had been in Tottenham around the middle of the day that Saturday and I remember coming back and posting on here (or its  predecessor forum), that there seemed to be growing agitation that Duggan's family were being ignored by the Police. No one had spoken to them and no senior Police Officer was made available, and the crowd of family and friends (I reckon at that at that point no more than 50-80) was just left outside in on the Police Station steps and in the street to mutter among themselves. 

I am still convinced that had someone senior taken Duggan's mother or whoever, into the station and talked to them, instead of shutting the door on them with an excuse of not being allowed to say anything, the riots that followed could have been averted...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on August 13, 2021, 10:22:10 AM
There are a number of "usual suspect" groups planning demos in London on the same day.
Given the fruitcakes and looney tunes amongst them I suspect rioting is inevitable.

So does that mean that you have taken the bet?
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 13, 2021, 12:08:41 PM

Oh I dunno. No shortage of firearms on the Cornish border.

No shortage of firearms in Cornwall both legal and illegal.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on August 12, 2021, 10:45:31 PM
Oh please! Don't indulge the needy Smurphy. The best thing to do with such one liners is to leave them in Cornwall.

Oh I dunno. No shortage of firearms on the Cornish border. It seems I might have to start picking up dad's brothers wierd Padstow accent if I want to survive September ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on August 13, 2021, 09:28:44 AM
So Extinction Rebellion plan to burn Tottenham to the ground by the end of the month?

Sounds good Pappy. But just to make it interesting, I bet you a £100 it does not happen.

Deal?

There are a number of "usual suspect" groups planning demos in London on the same day.
Given the fruitcakes and looney tunes amongst them I suspect rioting is inevitable.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on August 13, 2021, 06:50:32 AM
This year, mass demos (riots) already planned, by several groups of the "usual suspects," XR, "Kill The Bill," and others.

So Extinction Rebellion plan to burn Tottenham to the ground by the end of the month?

Sounds good Pappy. But just to make it interesting, I bet you a £100 it does not happen.

Deal?
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on August 12, 2021, 10:24:35 PM
Which year?

This year, mass demos (riots) already planned, by several groups of the "usual suspects," XR, "Kill The Bill," and others.

Barry

Quote from: Borchester on August 12, 2021, 10:24:35 PM
Which year?
Oh please! Don't indulge the needy Smurphy. The best thing to do with such one liners is to leave them in Cornwall.
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on August 12, 2021, 09:48:16 AM
It was a backlash by the lawless and underworld against the police after they had lawfully killed one of their anti-heroes.
They were never going to win as the troops would have been deployed.
If we want a revolution, have a good one, but don't put the jailbirds in charge of the country.

I recall it was more of an excuse to grab a free telly than a backlash against plod

papasmurf

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on August 12, 2021, 09:48:16 AM
It was a backlash by the lawless and underworld against the police after they had lawfully killed one of their anti-heroes.
If we want a revolution, have a good one, but don't put the jailbirds in charge of the country.
Well whilst I certainly get your drift there are those who ran/run the country who should be serving time IMO.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

† The end is nigh †