Afghanistan - greatest foreign policy disaster of a generation?

Started by Sampanviking, August 13, 2021, 11:29:24 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: Sampanviking on August 31, 2021, 04:01:29 PM
Well there was footage posted yesterday of a Taliban Black Hawk Helicopter with a fighter abseiling  on to the top of a building. Maybe all those Afghan army pilots and special forces didn't quite just run away and disappear!
I have seen this touted as the Taliban "hanging someone" from a helicopter, which I reckon was not the case.
How reports get twisted.
† The end is nigh †

Sampanviking

Quote from: cromwell on August 31, 2021, 11:00:22 AM
Yeah I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the taliban have a larger air force than eu countries,mind having a lot of aeroplanes are no good unless you have those skilled enough to fly and maintain them.

Still I expect the Chinese and Russians will step in,it's all very depressing what's gone off.

Well there was footage posted yesterday of a Taliban Black Hawk Helicopter with a fighter abseiling  on to the top of a building. Maybe all those Afghan army pilots and special forces didn't quite just run away and disappear!

Barry

The Wamos Air plane EC-NCK chartered by the UK government (assumption) is currently over the Eastern Med flying from Dubai to Akrotiri, which another assumption would be troops back to Cyprus base.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

The current Afghanistan debacle doesn't seem that much different from the chaotic withdrawal from Vietnam. But I guess the hope is that the Taliban government will eventually turn out to be as accommodating as Vietnam's...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on August 30, 2021, 10:14:48 PM
Well, guess who has commented on the debacle.
Yeah I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the taliban have a larger air force than eu countries,mind having a lot of aeroplanes are no good unless you have those skilled enough to fly and maintain them.

Still I expect the Chinese and Russians will step in,it's all very depressing what's gone off.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Well, guess who has commented on the debacle.
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on August 28, 2021, 12:11:28 PM
This soldier has been relieved of duty, I understand:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1431488483537850369
How dare an officer in the marines demand accountability from senior officers/politicians?
I wish him all the luck in the world, after 25 years of taking every bit of crap they can throw our way, to cover for their own lies and bad management, he will be needing it, Toots will be along and say they are frightened maybe, frightened by what? getting caught? Or just the thought of somebody pointing out what a disgrace they are?

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on August 28, 2021, 12:11:28 PM
How dare an officer in the marines demand accountability from senior officers/politicians?
Yeah I undertstand it too,no doubt regulations state he shouldn't have done this but he did knowing what would happen.

i don't doubt there's a lot of others silently nodding their heads and saying well done.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Sampanviking on August 23, 2021, 01:30:57 PM

I would take you to meet our leader, but frankly I don't have the heart to inflict that on anybody...

Are there any leaders?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sampanviking

Well it seems that even into the Political life of this country a little reality must occasionally shine.

Last week we were being told that we did not need the Americans and that we could stay on and save all the Afghan people on our own.
Today we are finally being told that we do need the Americans and we can't longer than the end of the month, because the Taliban wont let us.

To anyone shocked by this revelation, I would just like to say "Welcome to Planet Earth"
I would take you to meet our leader, but frankly I don't have the heart to inflict that on anybody...

Sheepy

Sheepy

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/taliban-want-an-inclusive-afghanistan-british-army-chief-claims/ar-AANs5Xe?ocid=msedgntp
Am I feeling any guilt whatsoever for bypassing those psychotic Westminster politicians and its psychotic media, none whatsoever it had to be done, I bet they are livid?

Sheepy

So, in actual fact, we have achieved more in a week than the Westminster party managed in 20 years of war, impressed probably not.