Afghan refugees. Sorry but Britain is full up.

Started by papasmurf, August 17, 2021, 01:15:40 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on August 25, 2021, 09:01:58 AM
Sheepy can you please supply some credible evidence they are all goat herders.
No, because I don't have any, but then they are obviously not brain surgeons or even fruit and veg pickers, so I assume in my own way they are goatherders dumb enough to believe that they are paying for a trip to paradise. Which when they are faced with a UK with services under pressure and no goats to herd, they get agitated with no goat curry for lunch and no goat herders hut to live in. Oh, I already know it doesn't fit with the media and Westminster propaganda machine, naughty me Smurphy, do have a good whine about it.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on August 25, 2021, 08:37:24 AM
the goatherders crossing the channel

Sheepy can you please supply some credible evidence they are all goat herders.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

So far, the UK has flown out about 4000 people who are eligible or hold a British passport, which is a very small amount compared with say, the goatherders crossing the channel they know about in the last 6 months, now don't get me wrong I know they said the Titanic was unsinkable, but alas it was far from true. 

Sheepy

https://us.yahoo.com/news/dont-panic-back-taliban-order-172809493.html
Seems to me, the Taliban are more than happy just to get rid of the crazy foreigners now why didn't we think of that?
Probably because the crazy foreigners who are in charge are as they say, crazy in the first place.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on August 24, 2021, 10:03:26 PM

What I said was, Britain is not full up. In fact Cornwall does not have a very high population density and could easily form a few new towns with a bit of extra infrastructure.

So you would wreck Cornwall as a policy? Frankly you are too late, thanks to the tourist industry who have come very close to putting the last nail Cornwall's coffin.

Thomas

Probably, if you are counting our ability at self sustainability. But we do not look to be self sustainable, we look to be viable.

What I said was, Britain is not full up. In fact Cornwall does not have a very high population density and could easily form a few new towns with a bit of extra infrastructure.
Much of Scotland is vast swathes of emptiness, and Nicola Sturgeon openly welcomes immigrants.

I don't mind housing the Afghans.
I do mind housing the illegals, nearly 1,000 on one day at the weekend, all arriving down Sheepy's way, without his permission.

Dont agree with your post. Not often i agree with the smurf , but he has a point .

The rhetoric by the media and those who lap up their rubbish seems to be "we must save these poor afghans who are our friends and allies from the taliban" , to help sooth the wests conscience over the carnage and humiliation they have caused in afghanistan over the last twenty years for practically zero reward.

This is laughable when you consider these same poor afghans were considered "collateral damage" in their thousands when america and its allies invaded and caused mayhem , death  and destruction twenty years ago and in much of the time since.

The rhetoric then was "so what if an ordinary afghan dies , he coud be a taliban supporter " etc.

As for your claim "britain" isnt full up , well that deserves a thread in itself .

Scotland is three fifths the size of england , with a fraction of the population , but large parts of scotland are not suitable for house building and infrastructure, with only twenty % of the land arable.

As john of gwent points out , it isnt just about cramming millions into an area the size of cornwall , which is similar to lothian.

You need the land to feed them , the ports and infrastructure to import the goods to sustain them , the reservoirs to quench their thirst , the jobs to give them a quality of life and the services like the nhs dentists etc to look after them .

We are currently told the uk government can't fund a reasonable pay rise for the massive pensioner popualtion , yet we seem to blindly go along with the govenment plan to annually increase the popualtion of the uk without thought of how we pay for them long term?( and if this is what brexit looks like , swapping fellow european immigrants for the dregs of the third world , then to hell with that!!!)

Same people who want to salve thier conscience are happy for the afghans to come to the uk are the same ones who are saying "as long as they arent being housed next to me" and sent to live in some shithole council estate in london or glasgow.

As for borkies never ending nuggets of conservative fantasy of middle class afghans coming here and turning into the next generation of tory voters , well , how i laugh.

He has been telling me for years as i get older , i will turn conservative , and each year at every election i vote against them with the same fervour as i have for decades. :D
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Sadly a young Afghani refugee died falling from a hotel window.....there have been calls that they were put in unsuitable accommodation,what?.....l would guess if you went to Kabul airport and said well we can fit you in but local  nob heads say the hotel we were using is unsafe do you still want to come?

I imagine you'd be knocked down in the rush.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-58269533
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

Probably, if you are counting our ability at self sustainability. But we do not look to be self sustainable, we look to be viable.

Much of Scotland is vast swathes of emptiness, and Nicola Sturgeon openly welcomes immigrants.

I do mind housing the illegals, nearly 1,000 on one day at the weekend, all arriving down Sheepy's way, without his permission.

Ok.

By your own words you say we seek to be viable.

I'll buy into that.

How many Cumbernaulds do you think we can build in those inhospitable places. What will they do for water ? Sewerage ? How will their residents keep warm in the post Thunberg heat pump universe.

Those wastelands are gathering and holding back water that would otherwise flood. They are allowing it to redress aquifers that would otherwise dry out.

And that's just the start ...

I agree with you that we are not yet full up

I fear we are nearer capacity than you may think from your post.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2021, 04:33:46 PM
Britain has been beyond it's long term sustainable human carrying capacity since 1840. It is currently over three times beyond it.

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on August 24, 2021, 04:18:33 PM

By the way, I don't agree that Britain is full up as per the thread title,

Britain has been beyond it's long term sustainable human carrying capacity since 1840. It is currently over three times beyond it.

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on August 24, 2021, 04:18:33 PMWe need more houses and more investment in that. We have plenty of brown field sites to build upon.

Don't worry soon we will be able to build our own en masse - perhaps the Afghans will be allowed to build something like they are used to. Bless them.

Barry

Well, T00ts you are not too far from their arrival point where 230 odd passengers arrive in Birmingham, but I am sure that they are being well taken care of by both NGOs and government as they have all been given clearance to come here.
Some are coming here as a stop off point to move on to other countries. Some are Brits reuturning.
The Afghans will be given leave to stay and reside and I hope, work in the UK.

The Wamos Air plane arrive back in Dubai at 15:27 today and will be loading up with another 230.

By the way, I don't agree that Britain is full up as per the thread title, but we are short of housing. We need more houses and more investment in that. We have plenty of brown field sites to build upon.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on August 24, 2021, 03:02:11 PM
From all accounts the Taliban seem to be standing back on the sidelines and watching the evacuations take place. It makes sense. Slaughtering the opposition might be fun, but having it pack up and leave makes better politics.

Madam's church is having a whale of a time over this, with the congregation happily rolling bandages and turning its lawns into goat pastures in readiness for the first few refugees. I suggested that since they were employed as administrators and translators  for the coalition they would probably turn out to be middle class Tories, rather than the simple, barely literate hill folk currently envisaged, but that went down like a fart in the front pew.

We shall see.   :) :) :)

The report we have had at my church is that they are arriving with just the clothes they are wearing. We have been asked for personal/hygiene products thus far. Presumably others have had specific requests for essentials.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on August 24, 2021, 12:16:05 PM
That's my dread that it will all kick off as troop finally withdraw. Quotes of Talibans threatening that they would kill but for the world watching. Goodness knows what they plan once 'occupation' as they call it ceases.

I am also fearful that they will attack as the forces leave just as a show of defiance. Is there only one airport in Afghanistan? Wouldn't it be possible to take planes out from other places?

From all accounts the Taliban seem to be standing back on the sidelines and watching the evacuations take place. It makes sense. Slaughtering the opposition might be fun, but having it pack up and leave makes better politics.

Madam's church is having a whale of a time over this, with the congregation happily rolling bandages and turning its lawns into goat pastures in readiness for the first few refugees. I suggested that since they were employed as administrators and translators  for the coalition they would probably turn out to be middle class Tories, rather than the simple, barely literate hill folk currently envisaged, but that went down like a fart in the front pew.

We shall see.   :) :) :)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on August 24, 2021, 12:16:05 PM
Is there only one airport in Afghanistan? Wouldn't it be possible to take planes out from other places?

More than one, but only the one near Kabul is operational currently.