Resident parking and Green vehicles

Started by patman post, August 17, 2021, 03:46:12 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: HDQQ on August 26, 2021, 03:21:12 PM«
Over development is the main cause of parking problems
Quote from: HDQQ on August 26, 2021, 03:21:12 PM
I'm all for green technology and electric vehicles. But a parked car is a parked car whatever means of propulsion it uses. If there's a parking problem then the only factor that makes any difference is the size of vehicles.

You can have as many small cars as you like but when you build 50 flats and expect them to park their cars in 10 spaces its not a surprise many areas are having parking problems

HDQQ

I'm all for green technology and electric vehicles. But a parked car is a parked car whatever means of propulsion it uses. If there's a parking problem then the only factor that makes any difference is the size of vehicles.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on August 19, 2021, 02:31:56 PM
As an aside — I'd like to understand the real purpose of Hackney's resident parking. Yellow lining ensures Hackney streets are not blocked by parked vehicles. It's not a commuter location that outsiders drive into and catch public transport. And there's plenty of space available for those who want to visit various locations.

Although there's costs to administering residents' parking permits, marking out the spaces, and patrolling wardens looking after the different zones — the overall surplus cash take must be enormous. Add to that the sudden closure of (and restrictions to) roads aimed to ambush unwary road users that gather at least £60 or £120 a time and the income must be substantial...

They're a Labour authority. Everyone's a cash cow....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

As an aside — I'd like to understand the real purpose of Hackney's resident parking. Yellow lining ensures Hackney streets are not blocked by parked vehicles. It's not a commuter location that outsiders drive into and catch public transport. And there's plenty of space available for those who want to visit various locations.

Although there's costs to administering residents' parking permits, marking out the spaces, and patrolling wardens looking after the different zones — the overall surplus cash take must be enormous. Add to that the sudden closure of (and restrictions to) roads aimed to ambush unwary road users that gather at least £60 or £120 a time and the income must be substantial...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Here on the posh side of London we are resisting resident parking permits but know they will eventually be brought in. The muppets who are installed in all the flats that are built on the site of once grand houses complain of parking availability and will be suckered into thinking a permit means more spaces   .

We live in a democracy , vote for a party that is both car owner friendly and anti over development .

Let me Know when you find them  :(

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on August 17, 2021, 04:42:40 PM
You aren't supposed to have a car in Hackney Pat.

It's not only Hackney though. Its standard policy UK wide for the left, who no longer need to care what those who work for a living think, as they have all those children and immigrants they've just handed a vote to, to ensure their political survival.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on August 17, 2021, 04:42:40 PM
You aren't supposed to have a car in Hackney Pat. The official view is that you should tuck your trousers into your socks and ride your bike to your job at the treacle bending mines. Or maybe do a bit of pedal past shooting. But whatever, the brothers and sisters don't like motors.

The only thing I can suggest is that you trade your current car in for a Volvo and park where you like. Then, if the council complains, you can accuse it of being anti Semitic
We have bicycles, though they're only used for leisure, and I wouldn't pedal to work in either EC or WC. Bus and tube is favourite if I'm not driving. 

Volvos are no longer the favourite manufacturer for the Stamford Hill Mob since Triangle Motors got built over and turned into flats. Plenty of Chrysler Voyagers and similar to cope for the growing families that aren't crowding round muter and the pushchair...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on August 17, 2021, 06:17:16 PM
So start a consultation movement. My daughter just did this where she lives against a huge proposed housing development. She started an FB site against the proposal and within 2 days had over 1000 members/supporters - 2000+ in a week. It took some doing but they beat the developers.  No doubt they'll be back with modifications but for now they are 1 up. Councils don't like people to make a noise they always have the next elections in their sights. So make a noise - you have nothing to lose.

Well, as you say Toots, it does no harm to try. That said, Hackney is a Labour party fiefdom. It is the second poorest borough in London, out of 57 Councillors 50 are Labour as are all three MPs and so is not the sort of place where the Council is bothered by the plight of motorists.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on August 17, 2021, 03:46:12 PM
Just received an email "consultation**" questionnaire from London Borough of Hackney asking my opinion on its proposed changes to the parking regulations in Hackney. 

Although it wraps up its proposals in all sorts of caring and Green language, it is mostly spitefully anti private motorist and money raising. Even motor cycles — until now exempt from street parking charges — are being clobbered, though I'm not that sympathetic.

One aspect I find particularly unfair is the impact on the high proportion of elderly residents with cars of 10-12 years old, that they use two or three times a week for shopping and pleasure trips — are about to find themselves with bills of hundreds of pounds a year for on-street parking, as not many are Blue Badge Holders.   

I've suggested that existing Resident Parking Permit holders should have the charges frozen (or inflation-linked) until they change their vehicle. That way, new residents and existing residents (who change their vehicles) are encouraged to buy cleaner vehicles and older vehicles will disappear without causing excessive hardship.
Although the exercise is classified as a "consultation",  we can be sure that all the draconian proposals are already underway and that only a couple of minor proposals (probably inserted for the purpose) will be modified...

PS: But still nothing being done about electric scooters (some with pillion seats) and electric bikes careering along pavements and disregarding the Highway Code.

So start a consultation movement. My daughter just did this where she lives against a huge proposed housing development. She started an FB site against the proposal and within 2 days had over 1000 members/supporters - 2000+ in a week. It took some doing but they beat the developers.  No doubt they'll be back with modifications but for now they are 1 up. Councils don't like people to make a noise they always have the next elections in their sights. So make a noise - you have nothing to lose.

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on August 17, 2021, 03:46:12 PM
Just received an email "consultation**" questionnaire from London Borough of Hackney asking my opinion on its proposed changes to the parking regulations in Hackney. 

Although it wraps up its proposals in all sorts of caring and Green language, it is mostly spitefully anti private motorist and money raising. Even motor cycles — until now exempt from street parking charges — are being clobbered, though I'm not that sympathetic.

One aspect I find particularly unfair is the impact on the high proportion of elderly residents with cars of 10-12 years old, that they use two or three times a week for shopping and pleasure trips — are about to find themselves with bills of hundreds of pounds a year for on-street parking, as not many are Blue Badge Holders.   

I've suggested that existing Resident Parking Permit holders should have the charges frozen (or inflation-linked) until they change their vehicle. That way, new residents and existing residents (who change their vehicles) are encouraged to buy cleaner vehicles and older vehicles will disappear without causing excessive hardship.
Although the exercise is classified as a "consultation",  we can be sure that all the draconian proposals are already underway and that only a couple of minor proposals (probably inserted for the purpose) will be modified...

PS: But still nothing being done about electric scooters (some with pillion seats) and electric bikes careering along pavements and disregarding the Highway Code.

You aren't supposed to have a car in Hackney Pat. The official view is that you should tuck your trousers into your socks and ride your bike to your job at the treacle bending mines. Or maybe do a bit of pedal past shooting. But whatever, the brothers and sisters don't like motors.

The only thing I can suggest is that you trade your current car in for a Volvo and park where you like. Then, if the council complains, you can accuse it of being anti Semitic 
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

You should know already Pat "Consultation" is political bollocks speak for we will pretend to listen to your ideas but if you think we'll take note you really are as stupid as we think you are because we made our minds up a while ago and that's what's going to happen.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

patman post