Sunak is betraying us Brexiteers

Started by HallowedBrexit, August 18, 2021, 10:20:06 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

If we all had a crystal ball life would be much easier. Governments can only respond as best they can with changing circumstances. The triple lock didn't expect Covid. BJ didn't expect to shut down the country and didn't want to initially. The Treasury cannot do the impossible unless we stump up. So some want to do the Gov down. It's a bit feeble to cling on to circumstances that no-one predicted before Covid hit us so hard.

Are there credible alternatives? If there are I suggest phone calls to Rishi might be well received.

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on August 18, 2021, 12:12:05 PM
So if there's no money T00ts, why did Boris pledge 500 million to Afghanistan? Why do we still spend billions and billions on foreign aid? Why didn't we deport the 6 million EU nationals who are mostly on the dole?

Seems Sunak has money for everyone except us.

Because we have values. Because we don't just cut people off and never have. Because we would rather give than receive. Not just nationally but as individuals. Selfishness and greed do not sit well in this country we leave that to others.

patman post

Quote from: Barry on August 18, 2021, 10:58:46 AM
The UK has been behind other developed nations, including some in Europe, although we don't pay in so much as others do.
The triple lock was meant to address this, as it would cause it to creep up against inflation and protect pensions.

Rishi has thrown money at everyone else, now he has to throw 8.8% at the pensioners.
8.8% it is then.
Pensions, benefits and welfare have been more generous in the top EU countries for years — affordable because of the state tax take and its involvement in wider pensions administration.   

In contrast, UK voters have always been against higher taxes and charges even when their benefits were explained. Even Labour has not been able to explain the link successfully enough to gain support for improved pensions and benefits.

My bet is that any pension raise will be minimal and surrounded with mounds of verbiage to justify its parsimony...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

HallowedBrexit

Quote from: T00ts on August 18, 2021, 11:00:23 AM
I am not surprised that the triple lock is under threat. It has little to do with Brexit and everything to do with debt. I voted Brexit with a long term view that it would be better for future generations both economically and politically.

Covid created a panic of generosity for which most of us need to be grateful. If that means that the little bit I can now offer towards that debt is loss of the triple lock then so be it. If I was working I would have been able to offer more. As it is many many people have lost out to protect me and the very least I can do is relinquish the triple lock with good grace.

So if there's no money T00ts, why did Boris pledge 500 million to Afghanistan? Why do we still spend billions and billions on foreign aid? Why didn't we deport the 6 million EU nationals who are mostly on the dole?

Seems Sunak has money for everyone except us.

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on August 18, 2021, 11:00:23 AM
I am not surprised that the triple lock is under threat. It has little to do with Brexit and everything to do with debt. I voted Brexit with a long term view that it would be better for future generations both economically and politically.

Covid created a panic of generosity for which most of us need to be grateful. If that means that the little bit I can now offer towards that debt is loss of the triple lock then so be it. If I was working I would have been able to offer more. As it is many many people have lost out to protect me and the very least I can do is relinquish the triple lock with good grace.
But then, they are notoriously unreliable.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

Barry

The UK has been behind other developed nations, including some in Europe, although we don't pay in so much as others do.
The triple lock was meant to address this, as it would cause it to creep up against inflation and protect pensions.

Rishi has thrown money at everyone else, now he has to throw 8.8% at the pensioners.
8.8% it is then.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe