Sunak is betraying us Brexiteers

Started by HallowedBrexit, August 18, 2021, 10:20:06 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: Thomas on August 21, 2021, 04:14:14 PMUK state pension worst in developed world and has the highest retirement age

Like I said - 8.8% please Rishi. No prevarication!
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on August 21, 2021, 04:39:16 PM
Well Tommy, I am easily pleased and as long as the bills are paid am not overly bothered at how well off someone else might be.

And Croatian pensions are
Well Tommy, as long as the bills are paid I am not overly bothered by how well off someone else might be. Plus, Croatian pensioners get more than those in work? Who is the Croatian minister of finance? Charlie Ponzi?

Well you have a kindly forgiving nature borkie , but if the tories piss off the rest of the less than forgiving pensioners , they could be in trouble.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on August 21, 2021, 04:14:14 PM
well as you know im not a  pensioner borkie , and i have decades to go before i can collect my pension , but im also not one for telling folk to keep quiet and stiff upper lip shite either.

Feck the government and feck thier excuses.

The fact is the uk has the worst state pension in the developed world and the question remains why.

pointless talking about the good old days when benefits were practically zero  as a barometer for keeping scthum and being thankfull for the crumbs from the table.

Fifth biggest economy , world leader and all the other shite , but why is the uk never world leader at what matters like pensions?

UK state pension worst in the developed world

The UK state pension is the worst in the developed world, according to data from Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.

As a percentage of average earnings, the UK government pays out 29 per cent, putting it at the bottom of a table which is led by the Netherlands, which pays 100.6 per cent, Portugal, which offers 94 per cent, and Italy, which gives 93.2 per cent.

https://www.ftadviser.com/pensions/2018/02/13/uk-state-pension-worst-in-the-developed-world/

UK state pension worst in developed world and has the highest retirement age

https://www.businessforscotland.com/uk-state-pension-worst-in-developed-world-and-has-the-highest-retirement-age/

Well Tommy, as long as the bills are paid I am not overly bothered by how well off someone else might be. Plus, Croatian pensioners get more than those in work? Who is the Croatian minister of finance? Charlie Ponzi?
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on August 21, 2021, 03:47:26 PM
Dunno.

My pensions total £13,000. I have never found out Madam's weight or income but I think she gets a bit more. Even so, we are paying the bills, including a mortgage on a house, and we aren't missing any meals.

I was reading Larkrise to Candleford the other day and in it the heroine describes working in the post office 120 years ago. Apparently the oldies were so grateful for their five bob a week pensions they would give the girls behind the counter bunches of flowers.

I am not suggesting that we stop whingeing because along with losing the Euro Cup it is one of the things we do best, but if we put a tax on moaning every pensioner in the country would have a loo made of gold.

well as you know im not a  pensioner borkie , and i have decades to go before i can collect my pension , but im also not one for telling folk to keep quiet and stiff upper lip shite either.

Feck the government and feck thier excuses.

The fact is the uk has the worst state pension in the developed world and the question remains why.

pointless talking about the good old days when benefits were practically zero  as a barometer for keeping scthum and being thankfull for the crumbs from the table.

Fifth biggest economy , world leader and all the other shite , but why is the uk never world leader at what matters like pensions?

UK state pension worst in the developed world

The UK state pension is the worst in the developed world, according to data from Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.

As a percentage of average earnings, the UK government pays out 29 per cent, putting it at the bottom of a table which is led by the Netherlands, which pays 100.6 per cent, Portugal, which offers 94 per cent, and Italy, which gives 93.2 per cent.

https://www.ftadviser.com/pensions/2018/02/13/uk-state-pension-worst-in-the-developed-world/

UK state pension worst in developed world and has the highest retirement age

https://www.businessforscotland.com/uk-state-pension-worst-in-developed-world-and-has-the-highest-retirement-age/

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on August 21, 2021, 03:21:30 PM
Completely agree with your post barry.

The uk state pension is an embarressing joke. This nonsense that its because we dont pay enough in so dont get much out is nothing but government propaganda to justify the miserly state pension.

In the latest figures i saw , the idea the uk doesnt tax much compared to others simply isnt true. The uk tax take as a percentage of GDP (2019) was around 33% , projected to rise to 35 % within a few years.( or higher because of the chinese sniffle lavishness)

Compared to others , the OECD average is around 34% of gdp , G7 is 36% , and the EU 14 Is 39 % , the vast majority of whom pay far better state pensions than the uk. So we are behind by 1 % , 3 % and 6 % respectively , hardly a massive difference.

Ireland for example taxes way less than the uk , as do most other english speaking nations , yet pays a far better state pension.

The uk always seems to be able to find money to go to war , or throw billions at nuclear subs it cannot afford , or lavishly pay people to sit at home during the chinese sniffles , yet somehow can't find the money to pay old people to live out the end of their lives in comfort?

The uk is sitting on a ticking timebomb on many fronts. The older generation is the last generation to have things like final salary pensions , my generation doesnt have the pensions but has the bought houses , and the younger generations will have neither.

I admire some of the sentiments on here , but im all out of goodwill and selflessness now and tired of listening to  feeble excuses.

Dunno.

My pensions total £13,000. I have never found out Madam's weight or income but I think she gets a bit more. Even so, we are paying the bills, including a mortgage on a house, and we aren't missing any meals.

I was reading Larkrise to Candleford the other day and in it the heroine describes working in the post office 120 years ago. Apparently the oldies were so grateful for their five bob a week pensions they would give the girls behind the counter bunches of flowers.

I am not suggesting that we stop whingeing because along with losing the Euro Cup it is one of the things we do best, but if we put a tax on moaning every pensioner in the country would have a loo made of gold.
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Barry on August 18, 2021, 04:09:48 PM
Are you saying it is greedy for pensioners to expect to keep up with inflation?
I know that many state pension recipients are also in receipt of other pensions, for which they also worked and paid in, but there are also many that have only the state pension to live from. Perhaps they are greedy to expect not to lose out.

By the way, I never asked anyone to protect me from diseases. I didn't ask for the young to be furloughed, nor for the High Streets to be closed down. I didn't ask for billions to be wasted on schemes. 750 billion spent on Covid schemes and filling the pockets of friends and their contacts. Yet they are now railing at spending about 1% of that sum - on keeping the pensions up, as they are bound by law to do. Remember that much of that money ends up being spent back into the economy.

So perhaps we are selfish, after all.
I say 8.8% please. I didn't ask them to spend and waste the 750 billion.

Completely agree with your post barry.

The uk state pension is an embarressing joke. This nonsense that its because we dont pay enough in so dont get much out is nothing but government propaganda to justify the miserly state pension.

In the latest figures i saw , the idea the uk doesnt tax much compared to others simply isnt true. The uk tax take as a percentage of GDP (2019) was around 33% , projected to rise to 35 % within a few years.( or higher because of the chinese sniffle lavishness)

Compared to others , the OECD average is around 34% of gdp , G7 is 36% , and the EU 14 Is 39 % , the vast majority of whom pay far better state pensions than the uk. So we are behind by 1 % , 3 % and 6 % respectively , hardly a massive difference.

Ireland for example taxes way less than the uk , as do most other english speaking nations , yet pays a far better state pension.

The uk always seems to be able to find money to go to war , or throw billions at nuclear subs it cannot afford , or lavishly pay people to sit at home during the chinese sniffles , yet somehow cant find the money to pay old people to live out the end of their lives in comfort?

The uk is sitting on a ticking timebomb on many fronts. The older generation is the last generation to have things like final salary pensions , my generation doesnt have the pensions but has the bought houses , and the younger generations will have neither.

I admire some of the sentiments on here , but im all out of goodwill and selflessness now and tired of listening to  feeble excuses.

patman post

I've got my portrait stored in the attic. I confidently expect it to take most of the flack living throws at me.   

The pity is there's not a painting to act like a fly-paper and attract and subdue the crap people throw in my direction...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on August 20, 2021, 12:32:41 PM
Reads like you and your gang have more in common with your portrayal of papsmurf's beliefs than you'd admit to...

You take your time Pat, but you get there in the end. :) :)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on August 20, 2021, 12:32:41 PM
Reads like you and your gang have more in common with your portrayal of papsmurf's beliefs than you'd admit to...

The portrayal on my beliefs, (I actually don't have any,) by people on this forum consists in the main of them lying about me.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on August 19, 2021, 11:10:26 PM
Toots is a good lass, but don't get over excited. Me and the other cottontops still expect you and the rest of the workforce to work your arses off and keep us in the manner we don't deserve but have come to expect.
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: DeppityDawg on August 19, 2021, 07:41:30 PM
What a fantastic post. You've gone a long way towards demonstrating that not all human beings are interested only in themselves. Thoughtful and insightful.

Toots is a good lass, but don't get over excited. Me and the other cottontops still expect you and the rest of the workforce to work your arses off and keep us in the manner we don't deserve but have come to expect.
Algerie Francais !

DeppityDawg

Quote from: T00ts on August 18, 2021, 11:00:23 AM
I am not surprised that the triple lock is under threat. It has little to do with Brexit and everything to do with debt. I voted Brexit with a long term view that it would be better for future generations both economically and politically.

Covid created a panic of generosity for which most of us need to be grateful. If that means that the little bit I can now offer towards that debt is loss of the triple lock then so be it. If I was working I would have been able to offer more. As it is many many people have lost out to protect me and the very least I can do is relinquish the triple lock with good grace.

What a fantastic post. You've gone a long way towards demonstrating that not all human beings are interested only in themselves. Thoughtful and insightful.

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on August 18, 2021, 06:12:00 PM
OK, sorry, I misunderstood a bit, but I still stand by what I have written, in that the government are blame-shifting and using all in their power to avoid sticking to their policies and obligations in law.
They have gone off their heads in government, spending recklessly and expect pensioners to pay for it.
Meanwhile, they intend to throw billions more money they don't have at Net Zero, (another lefty fable god).
Boris and his crew are avoiding their obligations, that doesn't sound good.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on August 19, 2021, 09:58:35 AM
That's at least the second time you have quoted someone, then said you weren't replying to them.

If you check more closely I wasn't, it was me being misquoted.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on August 19, 2021, 08:16:42 AMI was not replying to you John.
That's at least the second time you have quoted someone, then said you weren't replying to them.
It certainly causes confusion if you do that, as they would be entitled to think the reply was in response to what was quoted.
† The end is nigh †