Main Menu

Cornwall

Started by Nick, August 20, 2021, 12:09:17 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on August 24, 2021, 02:54:37 PM
I'm not a gourmet, and Mrs is Norwegian. So any claim we may make to being good food experts and being able to dictate how it should taste, needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

However, I can notice the difference between freshly-killed beef, and beef that's been aged for three weeks or more. I can also make an ordinary cheap chicken taste better by soaking it in cold salt water for a couple of hours before roasting. And I've also found that leaving a roast or steak to rest for anything up to an hour (depending on size) before carving, vastly improves its tenderness without cremating anything that looks pink. 

On eating out, I'd say that in my experience almost any eaterie in Belgium, France, Italy or Portugal can be depended upon to serve better dishes than are generally available across the UK even though there are some excellent caffs and restaurants here at all price levels. 

I don't dislike "Indian", but they also vary. I like a Chinese occasionally, but I've spent time in China, and found that I prefer what I'm offered in the UK to much of what I was served in Beijing and Shanghai. 

And I always love Mum's cooking — strangely although she was born here, her Caribbean dishes are the equal of the best I've had anywhere. 

Apologies for rambling, but I've taken the afternoon off...

Which raises an interesting point.

I saw a TV program recently about the Royal Navy in the 18th century. And when it got to the salt beef and pork the presenter raved over it. Apparently salt and age are just the thing meat needs.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on August 24, 2021, 02:54:37 PM

However, I can notice the difference between freshly-killed beef, and beef that's been aged for three weeks or more.

Local butcher rare breed beef aged 32 days, a steak barely needs cooking.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2021, 12:07:10 PM

I posted a link which back me up.
It's Ok to be wrong and admit it. You can optionally apologise.
I know it hurts, I hate getting things wrong, too.

† The end is nigh †

patman post

I'm not a gourmet, and Mrs is Norwegian. So any claim we may make to being good food experts and being able to dictate how it should taste, needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

However, I can notice the difference between freshly-killed beef, and beef that's been aged for three weeks or more. I can also make an ordinary cheap chicken taste better by soaking it in cold salt water for a couple of hours before roasting. And I've also found that leaving a roast or steak to rest for anything up to an hour (depending on size) before carving, vastly improves its tenderness without cremating anything that looks pink. 

On eating out, I'd say that in my experience almost any eaterie in Belgium, France, Italy or Portugal can be depended upon to serve better dishes than are generally available across the UK even though there are some excellent caffs and restaurants here at all price levels. 

I don't dislike "Indian", but they also vary. I like a Chinese occasionally, but I've spent time in China, and found that I prefer what I'm offered in the UK to much of what I was served in Beijing and Shanghai. 

And I always love Mum's cooking — strangely although she was born here, her Caribbean dishes are the equal of the best I've had anywhere. 

Apologies for rambling, but I've taken the afternoon off...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 24, 2021, 02:26:45 PM

So, not for the gluten free vegans then ??

It would not be a Cornish Pasty.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2021, 12:29:11 PM
Ginsters uses minced beef in their pasties. That is outside the designation.

https://cornishpastyassociation.co.uk/about-the-pasty/make-your-own-genuine-cornish-pasty/

FOR SHORTCRUST PASTRY
(rough puff can also be used):

500 g strong bread flour (it is important to use a stronger flour than normal as you need the extra strength in the gluten to produce strong pliable pastry)
120 g lard or white shortening
125 g Cornish butter
1 tsp salt
175 ml cold water
FOR THE FILLING
400 g good quality beef skirt, cut into cubes
300 g potato, peeled and diced
150 g swede/turnip*, peeled and diced
150 g onion, peeled and sliced
Salt & pepper to taste (2:1 ratio)
Beaten egg or milk to glaze
*The vegetable to use is the yellow-fleshed swede, not a white turnip.  This is known commonly in Cornwall as the turnip.  It's also known as the yellow turnip/Swedish turnip in some places and in North America it is called rutabaga.

So, not for the gluten free vegans then ??
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on August 24, 2021, 12:49:28 PM
At the risk of further turning this thread into a Mumsnet clone, we have been surprised at the range the local Iceland offers. The frozen range is very nearly up to the quality of Picard in France, and the fresh meat, deli, and veg and fruit, and general bakery and grocery offerings are more than adequate.   

There's a huge Iceland at Tottenham Hale, but we've not been in so have no idea if the prices change according to location or size of store. 

But on location affecting prices, I can confirm Boots charges more in its central London stores than those further out. This was confirmed when I queried the price of some orthopaedic insoles for Uncle in Boots Oxford Street compared to Wood Green. Boots' HQ confirmed they used location pricing...

It could be that the local shops put up their prices when the tourists arrive. They don't dare try that sort of thing on canny hagglers such as Nick, but poor old Pappy has not seen the light of day since the arrival of the Black Death in 1348, so he gets a right old run around.

I have never really understood this fresh food lark. A couple of upmarket butchers have opened up near me and they both advertised that their meat has been aged i.e left to rot.

When he wasn't writing thrillers, Len Deighton was being a foodie and inclined to quote the old adage that game should be hung in the larder until you could smell it when you opened it when you came into the house.

I have had some excellent meals in France, but it is my belief that it is less a matter of the freshness of the ingredients than the fact that the average French man or woman has a stomach of brass.
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: Sheepy on August 24, 2021, 01:21:51 PM
I admit it, I was wrong, Cromwell needs a lie down in a dark room with some nice medication.
Or a naughty nurse  :)

Still, it does suggest the need for a board where this sort of stuff can be thrashed out without the mods being troubled by a few high words
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Sheepy on August 24, 2021, 01:21:51 PM
I admit it, I was wrong, Cromwell needs a lie down in a dark room with some nice medication.
Dancing :)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on August 24, 2021, 12:53:46 PM
Abuse you?.....not at all,if I suggested you disappear in the way usually recognised as in the manner of reproductive activity you would call that abuse.....me I'd say quite restrained under the circumstances. :)

Very abusive to me. I have to state out of ignorance. Differential Supermarket pricing and number of lines carried varies all over Britain.
It is also the same in France with French supermarket chains.  Carrefour Contact is dearer and has fewer products in it that Carrefour Hypermarkets.  Intermarché seems to price and stock in relation to the "discerning," nature of the locals using each branch.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on August 24, 2021, 12:49:28 PM
At the risk of further turning this thread into a Mumsnet clone,

Mumsnet have been the case of differential (higher prices) between different Tesco types of outlet and a standard Tesco.
Because people on the forum are being so shitty towards me out of frankly ignorance they can check for themselves.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2021, 12:48:54 PM
I posted a link that proves my point and is very specific. That you cannot comprehend that is not my fault and did not warrant you abusing me. Both Tesco Extra and Tesco Express are dearer than a normal Tesco.
I suggest you google it for your bloody self, there is more analysis than you can shake a stick at, including detailed reasons (excuses,) from  Tesco.

Abuse you?.....not at all,if I suggested you disappear in the way usually recognised as in the manner of reproductive activity you would call that abuse.....me I'd say quite restrained under the circumstances. :)

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

patman post

At the risk of further turning this thread into a Mumsnet clone, we have been surprised at the range the local Iceland offers. The frozen range is very nearly up to the quality of Picard in France, and the fresh meat, deli, and veg and fruit, and general bakery and grocery offerings are more than adequate.   

There's a huge Iceland at Tottenham Hale, but we've not been in so have no idea if the prices change according to location or size of store. 

But on location affecting prices, I can confirm Boots charges more in its central London stores than those further out. This was confirmed when I queried the price of some orthopaedic insoles for Uncle in Boots Oxford Street compared to Wood Green. Boots' HQ confirmed they used location pricing...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on August 24, 2021, 12:32:00 PM
You are a fool,for the last time Tesco extra and Tesco express are not the same your link only displays the level of your stubborness and foolishness because you never admit when you're wrong and complain when people lose their patience with you.

I am at that point now.

I posted a link that proves my point and is very specific. That you cannot comprehend that is not my fault and did not warrant you abusing me. Both Tesco Extra and Tesco Express are dearer than a normal Tesco.
I suggest you google it for your bloody self, there is more analysis than you can shake a stick at, including detailed reasons (excuses,) from  Tesco.