Main Menu

Cornwall

Started by Nick, August 20, 2021, 12:09:17 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on August 20, 2021, 08:20:42 AM
Careful they don't do a Taliban and go door to door telling people to get back to work then Smurphy. The UK tourist industry is booming.

Sheepy according to the latest ONS dataset Cornwall has the lowest unemployment rate in Britain.
Because of Brexit and Priti Patel, there is no-one to fill the vacancies.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on August 20, 2021, 08:17:17 AM
Due to a lack of staff and far more tourists here than can be served, even with restricted menus, I am having to cook my own dinner for my birthday going out for a meal is frankly an impossibility.  Last Sunday I wanted to buy an ice-cream but the queue was over 50 people long. I didn't bother.
Careful they don't do a Taliban and go door to door telling people to get back to work then Smurphy. The UK tourist industry is booming.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 20, 2021, 08:11:25 AM

Swanage's restaurants and pubs were certainly pleased to see me and the missus a few months back.

Enjoy !!

Due to a lack of staff and far more tourists here than can be served, even with restricted menus, I am having to cook my own dinner for my birthday going out for a meal is frankly an impossibility.  Last Sunday I wanted to buy an ice-cream but the queue was over 50 people long. I didn't bother.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on August 20, 2021, 12:09:17 AM
Tomorrow I am off down to Cornwall for a week with my little fishing boat, let's see how the Wild South West is coping. It maybe that @papasmurfs picture of Armageddon lives up to reality but we will see.

I'll be talking to fishermen and reporting back on the state of our fleet and drowning a few worm in the hope of catching a few Black/Guilthead Bream, a species that has until now eluded me.

Supermarket shelves, restaurants and staff will all be on my radar, we will see how it pans out. 😉

Fishing isn't my thing, I preferred to jump over and go watch them, but nonetheless good for you and I hope you enjoy it. I'm pretty sure most of the locals trying to make a living will be delighted to see you. Well it's probably your tourist spending they actually admire but hey, it's a start ...

Swanage's restaurants and pubs were certainly pleased to see me and the missus a few months back.

Enjoy !!
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on August 20, 2021, 07:37:02 AM
Don't do it, (I am being serious. ) Especially if you are coming anywhere near West Cornwall. Also Newquay now has one of the highest Covid infection rates in Cornwall, the main hospital The Royal Cornwall, Truro is at crisis point.
I would not go near a beach for a bet, and the road accident rate is scary.
In a few days time I am getting out Cornwall for a few days to a safe area, it is not (expletive deleted,) safe here.

If you think it's bad having Nick there, brace yourself.

I'm seriously pissed off at having the Chinese Pox wreck my plans for my 39th AND my 40th Wedding Anniversary next month.

So I'm taking out my ire on the Duchy by coming to party like it's 1981 but this time I'm bringing the spending power of a challenger banks senior DBA, not that of an impoverished research postgraduate....

While I shall be making base camp at the Devon / Cornwall border I shall definitely be raiding daily. If my old friends in the diving business want a spare deckhand, I might even sign up to raid you by sea one day.....

I hope to single handedly reverse years of dwindling beer consumption there for a start.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on August 20, 2021, 06:28:05 AM
From what I've read, Cornwall has been one of the main beneficiaries of Brexit.

You need to get your hearing checked, Brexit has effected Cornwall badly, and it is getting worse.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 20, 2021, 12:09:17 AM
Tomorrow I am off down to Cornwall for a week with my little fishing boat,

Don't do it, (I am being serious. ) Especially if you are coming anywhere near West Cornwall. Also Newquay now has one of the highest Covid infection rates in Cornwall, the main hospital The Royal Cornwall, Truro is at crisis point.
I would not go near a beach for a bet, and the road accident rate is scary.
In a few days time I am getting out Cornwall for a few days to a safe area, it is not (expletive deleted,) safe here.

HallowedBrexit

From what I've read, Cornwall has been one of the main beneficiaries of Brexit.

Nick

Tomorrow I am off down to Cornwall for a week with my little fishing boat, let's see how the Wild South West is coping. It maybe that @papasmurfs picture of Armageddon lives up to reality but we will see.

I'll be talking to fishermen and reporting back on the state of our fleet and drowning a few worm in the hope of catching a few Black/Guilthead Bream, a species that has until now eluded me.

Supermarket shelves, restaurants and staff will all be on my radar, we will see how it pans out. 😉
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.