Main Menu

Cornwall

Started by Nick, August 20, 2021, 12:09:17 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 21, 2021, 05:09:52 PM
As even tourists avoid Redruth I suspect Nick is on a wind-up mission.

I don't do wind up Pappy.

Read it a weep!

Mainly booze 😂
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on August 21, 2021, 06:09:15 PM
Even odder, the fish counter at Tesco's Redruth is due to shut at 7pm.

You don't think that the staff hide things from you Pappy?

I am on medical advice not going near shops. My wife does the shopping for us and several other people and despite what Nick states there are shortages and it will get a lot worse due to the intransigence of the government:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58287003

New visas urged to tackle EU lorry driver shortage
Published20 hours ago
The UK should grant 10,000 EU lorry drivers visas to solve a labour crisis that has led to shortages of goods on British supermarket shelves, a lobby group says.

Logistics UK, which represents freight firms, says Brexit and Covid-19 caused lorry drivers to leave the UK, but a temporary visa could lure them back.

It said a similar visa scheme granted 30,000 permits for agriculture workers.

However, the government says employers must invest in the UK workforce.

The Road Haulage Association said this summer there was a shortfall of about 60,000 lorry drivers in the UK and it's recently contributed to shortages of everything from milk to Haribo sweets.

Supermarkets such as Tesco and Aldi have been offering bonuses and other incentives to boost recruitment, but the labour squeeze continues.

Analysis of the latest ONS Labour Force Survey for the second quarter suggests that 14,000 EU lorry drivers left jobs in the UK in the year to June 2020, and only 600 had returned by July 2021.

Alex Veitch, general manager of public policy at Logistics UK, said the thousands of EU drivers who left the UK due to Brexit and the pandemic were vital to the movement of goods around the country and beyond.

"Logistics is facing a long-term shortage of staff, which has been made much worse by the loss of our EU workforce," he said.

A government spokesperson said in response to the push for temporary visas: "The British people repeatedly voted to end free movement and take back control of our immigration system and employers should invest in our domestic workforce instead of relying on labour from abroad.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on August 21, 2021, 04:21:48 PM
Odd that, many Tescos stopped having a fish counter a long time ago "due to lack of demand." Some  are now only available part of the week.

Even odder, the fish counter at Tesco's Redruth is due to shut at 7pm.

You don't think that the staff hide things from you Pappy?
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Sheepy on August 21, 2021, 05:47:47 PM
I forgot to tell him, I know lots of people who live in Cornwall, the Surf lessons are through the roof, never had it so good.

The cornish tourist board is reporting a fantastic summer so far sheepwash , the only fly in the ointment for them is pappys continued presence in the duchy.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on August 21, 2021, 05:34:00 PM
You can't fool us pappy. We have sent an investigator down and you have been found out yet again.
I forgot to tell him, I know lots of people who live in Cornwall, the Surf lessons are through the roof, never had it so good.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on August 21, 2021, 05:09:52 PM

You can't fool us pappy. We have sent an investigator down and you have been found out yet again.

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on August 21, 2021, 04:34:39 PM
What??

No!!!!

You mean to say smurf has been telling us porkie pies about the end of the world in cornwall and all the hardships and starving thousands ?

Feck me nick , im getting to the point where is strongly suspect we can't believe a thing the smurf says. ;D

Thomas

Quote from: Nick on August 21, 2021, 03:59:52 PM
I can confirm that Tesco in RedRuth is positively bursting with stock, the shelves are overflowing all the usual stuff. There's a fully stocked fish counter with local fish, and there is a very nice deli also. That is that myth been busted, along with the chaos on the roads theory: M5 was reasonably slow but apart from a bump which lost me 20 minutes on the A30 everything is flowing.

What??

No!!!!

You mean to say smurf has been telling us porkie pies about the end of the world in cornwall and all the hardships and starving thousands ?

Feck me nick , im getting to the point where is strongly suspect we cant believe a thing the smurf says. ;D

Sheepy

I can confirm that Tesco in RedRuth is positively bursting with stock, the shelves are overflowing all the usual stuff. There's a fully stocked fish counter with local fish, and there is a very nice deli also. That is that myth been busted, along with the chaos on the roads theory: M5 was reasonably slow but apart from a bump which lost me 20 minutes on the A30 everything is flowing.
That will have done it.

papasmurf

Odd that, many Tescos stopped having a fish counter a long time ago "due to lack of demand." Some  are now only available part of the week.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/tesco-closes-fish-meat-deli-2866897

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-58149364

Abuse leaves hospitality staff at 'breaking point'
By Amy Gladwell
BBC News

Published11 hours ago

Hospitality staff say frustrated customers have left them demoralised and upset with some at "breaking point".

The sector is facing staff shortages, with travel restrictions causing more people to holiday in the UK.

Some staff in Cornwall said they were worn down by being sworn at and threatened with violence when restaurants were full or food delayed.

UK Hospitality "urged all customers to treat staff with respect".
Emily Gimblett, 20, a Newquay waitress, pleaded on social media for "common decency" after she said a customer made her cry.

"She was really, really moody and I just cried.

"I had already been reduced to nothing that day... It's like a lose lose situation," she said.

"I have never seen it this busy, it is ridiculous... The amount of staff we have can't cope with the influx.

"What you say to someone can ruin their whole day. We're still a person... We're tired."

Ms Gimblett said customers were angry and she had "reached breaking point".

She said people on holiday were annoyed that "everywhere is fully booked every night" while staff were worn out working long shifts.

Barry

Have fun in Cornwall, Nick.
Don't forget to wear a face covering everywhere you go, show your NHS app vaccine certificate everywhere you go, or expect the wrath of the smurf and his biker grove pals.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on August 20, 2021, 12:03:56 PM
I bet there are thousands telling you what a great time they had.

Not any more.

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on August 20, 2021, 12:00:32 PM
Sheepy even the tourists can't stand it here.  (Sorry for posting a link to an article from the Scum.)
More at link:-
https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/15839380/cornwall-tourists-expensive-beaches-backlash/

GOING SOUTH Now tourists say Cornwall is too noisy and expensive! Backlash as holidaymakers park on beaches & skip restaurant bills
Kara Godfrey
14:57, 11 Aug 2021Updated: 14:57, 11 Aug 2021

Ali Arnison, from Leeds, said her and her family returned home early last week after restaurants were also closed and supermarkets were empty.

She wrote on Facebook: "Had to come home early from Newquay. The place needs putting on the banned list of places to travel."

I read one the other day that said, they weren't coming back to Hastings because of noisy seagulls, anybody can find them. Seagulls at the seaside keeping them awake, how very dare they, but I bet there are thousands telling you what a great time they had. Which would really piss you off.

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on August 20, 2021, 11:57:09 AM
Local anger bollox, you mean your anger that people are still managing to enjoy themselves. You sad old tw*t. Anyway, I thought you and the Cornish Taliban were setting up barricades? Better hurry up they might all be dead come the winter.

Sheepy even the tourists can't stand it here.  (Sorry for posting a link to an article from the Scum.)
More at link:-
https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/15839380/cornwall-tourists-expensive-beaches-backlash/

GOING SOUTH Now tourists say Cornwall is too noisy and expensive! Backlash as holidaymakers park on beaches & skip restaurant bills
Kara Godfrey
14:57, 11 Aug 2021Updated: 14:57, 11 Aug 2021

Ali Arnison, from Leeds, said her and her family returned home early last week after restaurants were also closed and supermarkets were empty.

She wrote on Facebook: "Had to come home early from Newquay. The place needs putting on the banned list of places to travel."