Main Menu

Cornwall

Started by Nick, August 20, 2021, 12:09:17 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on August 24, 2021, 10:34:30 AM

Whatever is missing could be what Smurf is complaining about. 😂😂

I am not complaining I know why their are shortages and there will be until the government stops being so intransigent.  A least the impending shortage of Turkeys for Christmas Dinner won't effect me. I never eat Turkey.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on August 24, 2021, 09:43:46 AM
Please explain for all our benefits why Tesco extra is a niche market.

More expensive than a normal Tesco and less choice.  (I am surprised given the high levels of poverty in Redruth and the numbers having to use foodbanks that there is a Tesco Extra in the town.)

Nick

Quote from: Barry on August 24, 2021, 10:34:30 AM
To be fair, Nick, there is an empty space on the floor in your first image.

Or a cafe owner has just  sharked in and took the lot!!
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Quote from: Nick on August 24, 2021, 10:26:48 AM
There seems to be lots of it, whether the right stuff I don't know.

To be fair, Nick, there is an empty space on the floor in your first image.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

To conclude my investigation on food shopping I'll sign off with a few pics.
Full shelves, Pineapples from Costa Rica and Coconuts from Côte d'Ivoire.

Nick

Quote from: patman post on August 23, 2021, 05:42:47 PM
Thanks — Mrs found a few bottles at Stamford Hill Sainsbury's this afternoon, so she bought two. Still no sparkling water though which will disappoint the girls — they like it with the Robinsons. So it's hard times and deprivation in the PP household at the moment.

Mind you — just seeing your comment on reduced prices — there are some compensations with plenty of usually expensive fish and meat cuts offered as reduced or as specials, but they are near their best-by dates — which is OK if used immediately or can be frozen...

There seems to be lots of it, whether the right stuff I don't know.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2021, 09:27:44 AM
The same applies to Tesco Extra. Niche market. (Though who the customer base would be in Redruth is a mystery.)
I looked up some comments by Redruth residents about Redruth, there are none of them I could post here.
Personally I can think of no reason for me to go there.

Probably still full of edge case hippie types who went there about this time of year in 1999 to see if the Astronomical bods who said Redruth was the northernmost point for the eclipse totality track were right, and who never went home afterwards
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on August 24, 2021, 09:43:46 AM
Oh no, more of Smurphys dark fantasising.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

cromwell

The same applies to Tesco Extra. Niche market. (Though who the customer base would be in Redruth is a mystery.)
I looked up some comments by Redruth residents about Redruth, there are none of them I could post here.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

There are 3 Tesco's in Redruth, 2 being normal stores.
THEY ARE ALL FULL.
Next excuse?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 24, 2021, 09:22:30 AM
It's a good job I wasn't shopping at an Express then! It was a normal Tesco Extra, and the shelves were full.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2021, 08:20:23 AMMy wife and my neighbours go to all of the supermarkets in the nearest town and there has been shortages for more or less since January. As for Tesco Express it is a niche market pricier than a normal Tesco with far less choice of products.
Tesco will make very sure there are no shortages at Tesco express at the expense of the normal Tesco.

It's a good job I wasn't shopping at an Express then! It was a normal Tesco Extra, and the shelves were full.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on August 24, 2021, 08:53:14 AM
I have heard that their horse manure pasties are worth trying,

That would be Ginsters.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2021, 08:20:23 AM
As for Tesco Express it is a niche market..........

Jesus Christ Pappy, you really do live in the fast lane don't you?

"Hey dolly, I have been thinking. The dead rats we get from the corner shop are nowhere near as good the dead rats they sell at that posh new Tesco's Extra. A bit hoity toity I know, but lets live a little."

"Blimey Pappy, you just don't care do you? Still, I have heard that their horse manure pasties are worth trying, even if they do cost an extra tuppence each. Lets go."
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 23, 2021, 09:52:57 PM
You can link as many horror stories as you want, the fact is that the lefty papers will always report the stories of doom.
If you actually went to a supermarket you would see the reality which is that the shelves are full.

My wife and my neighbours go to all of the supermarkets in the nearest town and there has been shortages for more or less since January. As for Tesco Express it is a niche market pricier than a normal Tesco with far less choice of products.
Tesco will make very sure there are no shortages at Tesco express at the expense of the normal Tesco.
As for your comments about yellow tickets on local produce, there are the same logistics problems with those are there are nationally.
Other than food, and away from supermarkets there are delays and shortages across many businesses. There are very long delays locally in getting spare parts for agricultural equipment, car spares, and I had to wait six weeks for spare parts for one of my motorcycles when normally they are  a next day delivery.
(The supplier apologised but because of Brexit they now have to wait until they need a truck load of spares from Germany as it would be prohibitively expensive to order  few spare parts at a time due to charges and paperwork caused by Brexit.)
(Why anyone unless they live there would go to Redruth puzzles me to honest.)