Main Menu

Cornwall

Started by Nick, August 20, 2021, 12:09:17 AM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on August 24, 2021, 12:41:19 PM
Alternatively..

£1.00 makes 375g of Sainsbury's Short Crust Pastry.

Line an aluminum takeaway container (there are always plenty outside the local pub), add whatever is lying around, put in oven and there you are.  :)
:D :D :D ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2021, 12:29:11 PM
Ginsters uses minced beef in their pasties. That is outside the designation.

https://cornishpastyassociation.co.uk/about-the-pasty/make-your-own-genuine-cornish-pasty/

FOR SHORTCRUST PASTRY
(rough puff can also be used):

500 g strong bread flour (it is important to use a stronger flour than normal as you need the extra strength in the gluten to produce strong pliable pastry)
120 g lard or white shortening
125 g Cornish butter
1 tsp salt
175 ml cold water
FOR THE FILLING
400 g good quality beef skirt, cut into cubes
300 g potato, peeled and diced
150 g swede/turnip*, peeled and diced
150 g onion, peeled and sliced
Salt & pepper to taste (2:1 ratio)
Beaten egg or milk to glaze
*The vegetable to use is the yellow-fleshed swede, not a white turnip.  This is known commonly in Cornwall as the turnip.  It's also known as the yellow turnip/Swedish turnip in some places and in North America it is called rutabaga.

Alternatively..

£1.00 makes 375g of Sainsbury's Short Crust Pastry.

Line an aluminum takeaway container (there are always plenty outside the local pub), add whatever is lying around, put in oven and there you are.  :)
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2021, 12:07:10 PM

I posted a link which back me up.
You are a fool,for the last time Tesco extra and Tesco express are not the same your link only displays the level of your stubborness and foolishness because you never admit when you're wrong and complain when people lose their patience with you.

I am at that point now.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on August 24, 2021, 12:24:21 PM
Now there you have a point.

Ginsters uses minced beef in their pasties. That is outside the designation.

https://cornishpastyassociation.co.uk/about-the-pasty/make-your-own-genuine-cornish-pasty/

FOR SHORTCRUST PASTRY
(rough puff can also be used):

500 g strong bread flour (it is important to use a stronger flour than normal as you need the extra strength in the gluten to produce strong pliable pastry)
120 g lard or white shortening
125 g Cornish butter
1 tsp salt
175 ml cold water
FOR THE FILLING
400 g good quality beef skirt, cut into cubes
300 g potato, peeled and diced
150 g swede/turnip*, peeled and diced
150 g onion, peeled and sliced
Salt & pepper to taste (2:1 ratio)
Beaten egg or milk to glaze
*The vegetable to use is the yellow-fleshed swede, not a white turnip.  This is known commonly in Cornwall as the turnip.  It's also known as the yellow turnip/Swedish turnip in some places and in North America it is called rutabaga.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2021, 09:11:14 AM
That would be Ginsters.

Now there you have a point.

During the never ending saga of the building of my extension the lads would graft like good 'uns or do sod all as the mood took them. But always with good humour, provided they could tank up on whatever the local Greggs was serving.

Then one day Greggs closed for the day and their emissary returned with whatever Ginster crap he had managed to find at Sainsbury's. You would have thought he had pissed on the teabags. In fact they would have probably go along with that, but Ginsters whatever was definitely beyond the Pale.

I had to send for takeaways from the K2 in Hemel before they would lay another brick.

The trouble with builders is that they are the last free Brits, even if they are mostly Romanians, and they bloody well know it.
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Nick on August 24, 2021, 10:26:48 AM
There seems to be lots of it, whether the right stuff I don't know.
Thanks. The bottles at bottom right are the stuff.   
Interestingly, Sainsbury's price yesterday was £2 a bottle (Mrs commented on it) — in your pic, the Tesco shelf ticket shows usual price £1.99 cut to £1.50...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 24, 2021, 11:55:15 AM

Either they're wierd in Cornwall (i rest my case mlud) or wal s does things very differently....

What is stocked in supermarkets and the range of products varies with  each Supermarket. The Tesco in Truro  has some things it stocks that are not available in the Tesco in Helston and vice versa.
That applies nationally.

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2021, 12:12:23 PM
If you can't be bothered to read links tough, it also shows in your contribiutions.
No, I meant; I do not read links once the man on the spot has shown his evidence. There would be no point it would be insane.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on August 24, 2021, 12:10:18 PM
I don't read links, could you explain it in more detail? seriously.

If you can't be bothered to read links tough, it also shows in your contribiutions.

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2021, 12:07:10 PM

I don't read links, could you explain it in more detail? seriously.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on August 24, 2021, 11:23:47 AM
Oh bloody get some glasses you said Tesco extra is a niche market because it's more expensive no it isn't.

Can't you see there is a massive difference between tesco express and extra. Extra means extra large more choice cheaper prices.

You're wrong and wont admit it.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2021, 08:20:23 AM
My wife and my neighbours go to all of the supermarkets in the nearest town and there has been shortages for more or less since January. As for Tesco Express it is a niche market pricier than a normal Tesco with far less choice of products.
Tesco will make very sure there are no shortages at Tesco express at the expense of the normal Tesco.
As for your comments about yellow tickets on local produce, there are the same logistics problems with those are there are nationally.
Other than food, and away from supermarkets there are delays and shortages across many businesses. There are very long delays locally in getting spare parts for agricultural equipment, car spares, and I had to wait six weeks for spare parts for one of my motorcycles when normally they are  a next day delivery.
(The supplier apologised but because of Brexit they now have to wait until they need a truck load of spares from Germany as it would be prohibitively expensive to order  few spare parts at a time due to charges and paperwork caused by Brexit.)
(Why anyone unless they live there would go to Redruth puzzles me to honest.)

The argument re Tesco express and other tossercos doesn't wash here.

There are two Tesco Express (hint: mini market the size of a small SPAR) stores inside three miles of my front door, competing with a Sainsbury's local that used to be a lovely
pub.

A few miles further out are a massive Sainsbury's and just beyond that an Asda and a Morrisons. A few miles more takes me to the Queensway meadows Tesco Extra Hypermarket that is the size of Heathrow T5.

Strangely the Megastores have far more in them than tbeblival ones.

Also strangely the prices in the Tesco Express are to the penny exactly the same as the prices in the Tesco Extra.

What varies us the range. And the smaller stores fo carry the smaller size packets which are more likely to be more costly pound (or kilo as you probably prefer )

Either they're wierd in Cornwall (i rest my case mlud) or wal s does things very differently....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2021, 11:19:01 AM
The prices are dearer than a normal Tesco.  It is you who is not better informed. There has been more than enough public domain information about it.

More detail at link:-
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/02/the-cost-of-convenience-how-much-extra-will-you-pay-at-sainsburys-local-and-tesco-express/

Tesco vs Tesco Express Tesco's prices also varied quite significantly, with our basket of groceries costing £279 more, on average, at Tesco Express over the course of a year.

Oh bloody get some glasses you said Tesco extra is a niche market because it's more expensive no it isn't.

Can't you see there is a massive difference between tesco express and extra. Extra means extra large more choice cheaper prices.

You're wrong and wont admit it.

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-Tesco-and-Tesco-Extra

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on August 24, 2021, 11:05:35 AM
You are ill informed,Tesco express is like a small convenience store where prices might be higher than a normal tesco,then there are their supermarkets and Tesco extra which are just a bigger version of their normal supermarkets just more stuff as Nick has demonstrated but at the same prices as all their other supermarkets.

So be surprised no more but perhaps be better informed.

The prices are dearer than a normal Tesco.  It is you who is not better informed. There has been more than enough public domain information about it.

More detail at link:-
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/02/the-cost-of-convenience-how-much-extra-will-you-pay-at-sainsburys-local-and-tesco-express/

Tesco vs Tesco Express Tesco's prices also varied quite significantly, with our basket of groceries costing £279 more, on average, at Tesco Express over the course of a year.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2021, 10:44:14 AM
More expensive than a normal Tesco and less choice.  (I am surprised given the high levels of poverty in Redruth and the numbers having to use foodbanks that there is a Tesco Extra in the town.)

You are ill informed,Tesco express is like a small convenience store where prices might be higher than a normal tesco,then there are their supermarkets and Tesco extra which are just a bigger version of their normal supermarkets just more stuff as Nick has demonstrated but at the same prices as all their other supermarkets.

So be surprised no more but perhaps be better informed.