Will this creature never crawl back under a stone?

Started by cromwell, August 21, 2021, 10:23:23 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: patman post on August 22, 2021, 04:31:50 PM
It was noticeable that before New Labour came to power in 1997, Tony Blair never detailed what his government would actually offer. The hard slog of modifying Labour's commitment to mass nationalisation and lessening trade union control had already been started by Kinnock. Blair continued by seeming to embracing the Tory ideas of equality of opportunity through a mix of market economics and social justice.   

It worked.   

Blair's optimism about how good a different government would be, broadened Labour's appeal and was infectious enough to give New Labour a landslide victory — though whether this was due more to pro-Labour voting or anti-Tory voting is debatable. 

Blair and Thatcher are is still the two longest-serving UK leaders in the last 200 years — and they're also the two most vilified. My opinion is that this is due to Britain generally being conservative which pushes the Far Left into its constant briefing against any popular democracy that allows the country's natural conservatism to influence its selection of its governments. 

To my mind the accusations of war crimes against Blair have been stoked by the Far Left, and are less credible than charges of war crimes against Churchill, "Bomber" Harris, and those responsible for the military and security excesses in Kenya...

Absolute cobblers,we were fighting for our very existence not in a show of howdy Sheriff you and me meander down to the saloon......can I be your deputy George? please....pretty please I'll do anything you say sheriff.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

cromwell

Thomas

^^^^

Sigh#

The 1997 bliar new labour party manifesto is easily googled and verifiable as to what people were voting for.

The 1997 manifesto promised (and partly delivered) a 10p rate of income tax for the low-paid, lower class sizes, a windfall tax on privatised utilities, a national minimum wage, a programme of social house-building, investment in renewable energy not nuclear power, a not-for-profit "people's lottery", the abolition of hereditary peers, a Freedom Of Information Act, an end to the internal market in the NHS, electoral reform to bring in proportional representation, a referendum on the Euro, and widespread devolution.

There were genuine shifts to the right too, of course – retention of Tory spending plans and anti-union legislation, a commitment to keep Trident and so on – and things which would become clear as such only later on (like welfare "reform") but the first New Labour manifesto was still a much more left-wing document than people care to recall.

Blair's victories, then, weren't some miraculous achievement against the odds, and nor were they done on a conspicuously right-wing policy programme. New Labour also enjoyed the huge advantage of competing against a Conservative party that was still a broken shambles for almost all of Blair's reign. When David Cameron took over the leadership in December 2005, armed as he was with only the most modest sprinkling of competence and charisma, the writing was on the wall.

Ten months after blairs initial election papers were trumpeting headlines of "ever had the feeling you have been cheated". I love how the so called centrists love to re write history and make mr blair look more favourable than he actually was , or his talents allowed , but the fact of the matter was we could sit today and rifle off a list of problems plaguing the yookay and beyond , such as afghanistan , that blair had a hand in creating.

New labour will never be recreated , the political conditions have changed markedly since then. Back then as has been said  , we had a broken burnt out shell of a tory party facing blair in the two horse race that passes for democracy in your country , and the left who were hoodwinked into voting blair initially had no other party to go to , so they stopped voting en masse , blair losing millions over the course of his three terms  , so much so at one point he was elected on less than 25 % of the electorate with a landslide , such is the laughable democracy in the uk.

The damage blair done to labour was long in the making , and may prove possibly terminal. You put the man next to thatcher , but as even sensitive steve said on this forum , thatcher was hated by the left , blair is hated by left and right.

As long as the socalled centrists keep putting thier faith in the re written history of tony blairs time in power , and the delusion he was some sort of political demi god , the better it is for those of us in other parties who dont subscribe to his bullshit.

Britian isnt generally conservative.

The uk , which is as we know made up of many countries , is generally split into the conservative south of england , the more working class north of england ( that  new labour have shafted time and again) working class central belt of scotland , the liberal highlands , and old conservative borders , northern ireland and its internal squablling politics , and wales which seems to be split many ways but generally labour are just about keeping their noses in front for now.

Hopefully , sir keir knight of the realm starmer will keep trying to emulate new labour in every way possible. It wasnt corbyn who lost scotland , but tony blairs new labour , with the rot setting in under his and browns premiership before murphy and milliband gave new labour in scotland the coup de grace.

long live new labour and tony blair spectre.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

patman post

It was noticeable that before New Labour came to power in 1997, Tony Blair never detailed what his government would actually offer. The hard slog of modifying Labour's commitment to mass nationalisation and lessening trade union control had already been started by Kinnock. Blair continued by seeming to embracing the Tory ideas of equality of opportunity through a mix of market economics and social justice.   

It worked.   

Blair's optimism about how good a different government would be, broadened Labour's appeal and was infectious enough to give New Labour a landslide victory — though whether this was due more to pro-Labour voting or anti-Tory voting is debatable. 

Blair and Thatcher are is still the two longest-serving UK leaders in the last 200 years — and they're also the two most vilified. My opinion is that this is due to Britain generally being conservative which pushes the Far Left into its constant briefing against any popular democracy that allows the country's natural conservatism to influence its selection of its governments. 

To my mind the accusations of war crimes against Blair have been stoked by the Far Left, and are less credible than charges of war crimes against Churchill, "Bomber" Harris, and those responsible for the military and security excesses in Kenya...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on August 22, 2021, 01:43:47 PM
You told me you have voted new labour tactically ,

That is a lie, I have NEVER stated any such thing. Stop lying about me.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on August 22, 2021, 01:41:28 PM
More lies about.  I have never voted labour where I live in Cornwall. I have always voted tactically to keep a tory out.
I have made that very clear many time.  I suggest you need testing for dementia.

You told me you have voted new labour tactically , and lib dem , from memory  , in cornwall to keep the tories out so what are you talking about now?

Remember you told me and uganda that on the old forum.

Really pappy , its all coming out in the wash today isnt it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on August 22, 2021, 01:36:42 PM
But i thought you said you voted labour in cornwall during the new labour years?

Honestly pappy , you blow with the wind!!

More lies about.  I have never voted labour where I live in Cornwall. I have always voted tactically to keep a tory out.
I have made that very clear many time.  I suggest you need testing for dementia.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on August 22, 2021, 01:33:58 PM
I have never been for that smarmy git Blair. I have made that obvious many times.

But i thought you said you voted labour in cornwall during the new labour years?

Honestly pappy , you blow with the wind!!

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on August 22, 2021, 11:12:40 AM
Are you for or against tony blair pappy?

I can't keep up with your about turns in politics.

I have never been for that smarmy git Blair. I have made that obvious many times.

Sheepy

They are piling the pressure on today for chaos Cromwell. they don't like calm or people getting things done without them. They will be hoping for an explosion for sure or they might have to supply one themselves, it wouldn't be the first time.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on August 22, 2021, 11:01:07 AM
He must do, he has armed protection 24/7/365. ( I really hope we are not paying for that.)

Are you for or against tony blair pappy?

I cant keep up with your about turns in politics.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on August 22, 2021, 10:34:18 AM
Yes he doesn't realise how much he is despised,

He must do, he has armed protection 24/7/365. ( I really hope we are not paying for that.)

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on August 22, 2021, 10:34:18 AM
Yes he doesn't realise how much he is despised,still I was looking at his photo in the link and heard that they were moving the LOTR production from NZ to the UK and thought wouldn't take much make up and he'd be right in character as an extra. ;)
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/lotr/images/9/95/Grishnakh.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20190205204258

Grima wormtongue played by tony blair?

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on August 22, 2021, 09:02:03 AM
What an excuse ridden pile of stinking horse manure.

Everytime blair comes out of the woodwork , the more sensible labour party politicians facepalm and groan in despair. I personally think it great cromwell.

The mans arrogance and ego simply can't comprehend how much he is detested by all and sundry , although he is perfectly well aware he has to come out and at least try and defend his poisonous reputation when it all crashes and burns in failure .

The only gripe i have is why the man isnt relentlessly challenged by the media......when given a platform , he should be robustly attacked over his time in power and the catastrophic after effects and legacy he has left behind.

Still we must take our hats off to him for the destuction of the labour party.Every cloud and all that...

Yes he doesn't realise how much he is despised,still I was looking at his photo in the link and heard that they were moving the LOTR production from NZ to the UK and thought wouldn't take much make up and he'd be right in character as an extra. ;)

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on August 21, 2021, 10:23:23 PM
https://institute.global/tony-blair/tony-blair-why-we-must-not-abandon-people-afghanistan-their-sakes-and-ours

Trying to justify the unjustifiable. Rant

What an excuse ridden pile of stinking horse manure.

Everytime blair comes out of the woodwork , the more sensible labour party politicians facepalm and groan in despair. I personally think it great cromwell.

The mans arrogance and ego simply cant comprehend how much he is detested by all and sundry , although he is perfectly well aware he has to come out and at least try and defend his poisonous reputation when it all crashes and burns in failure .

The only gripe i have is why the man isnt relentlessly challenged by the media......when given a platform , he should be robustly attacked over his time in power and the catastrophic after effects and legacy he has left behind.

Still we must take our hats off to him for the destuction of the labour party.Every cloud and all that...