Snowdon: Call to respect mountain amid spike in visitors

Started by papasmurf, August 23, 2021, 09:18:12 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on August 26, 2021, 11:41:12 AM
Or maybe they could build another mountain nearby, to siphon off the excess business?

I haven't been there in twenty years so I imagine that things have changed a bit, but it always struck me as deeply uninspiring. A sheep shit encrusted track with that dreary beer hall on top.

Sad place.

I will do my bit to preserve Snowdon by not going back for at least another 20 years.

I recall a splendid trip to see Ben Nevis.

I chose to view it from what I suppose you might call a picture window in an observation lounge of a hotel at the foot of the climb.

It was the middle of Autumn about 1999.

The light was failing and the wind was starting to get up. Foreboding low cloud threatened to obscure my view with rain, hail or whatever the f**k else those hills need to look the way they do

In the distance three or four parka clad nutters struggled against the wind to fight their way to the hotel.

Sitting on a serious leather sofa within roasting distance of a log fire giving off so much C02 Thunberg would have a stroke, I watched those stupid buggers battle the elements and the oncoming gloom while sipping a gentleman's measure of lagavulin with a single ice cube, and strangely all seemed right with the world .... because it still was, then.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on August 26, 2021, 09:49:44 AM
What are they supposed to do, ring round the whole country to make sure no one else is going?

Or maybe they could build another mountain nearby, to siphon off the excess business?

I haven't been there in twenty years so I imagine that things have changed a bit, but it always struck me as deeply uninspiring. A sheep shit encrusted track with that dreary beer hall on top.

Sad place.

I will do my bit to preserve Snowdon by not going back for at least another 20 years.

Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 23, 2021, 11:05:33 AM
I posted a link, read it, Snowdon is suffering an invasion, I could tell them where to go, not a problem.

What are they supposed to do, ring round the whole country to make sure no one else is going?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on August 23, 2021, 11:20:23 AM
There is a bit of a problem. The ice cream vans, the local shops and that train, which has not spoilt the mountain at all, all need feeding with spondooliks.
There's a bit of a peak in tourism in August, but I guarantee there will be less in January.
The tourist board and the councils have been telling tourists to piss off for two years now
They are actively plotting to dissuade tourists in hope this will destroy the low wage ceconomy the sector brings.
But that was Plaid Cymru's Mantra, they being untramarxists naturally presume the olocals will have a magic money tree to pluck to get higher wages somewhere.
Personally. I have taken the welsh tourist boards demands at face value; no welsh business will get another penny of my tourist disposable income
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

There is a bit of a problem. The ice cream vans, the local shops and that train, which has not spoilt the mountain at all, all need feeding with spondooliks.
There's a bit of a peak in tourism in August, but I guarantee there will be less in January.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on August 23, 2021, 10:31:50 AM
What this Smurphy? Snowdon suffering an invasion? but where else should they go?

I posted a link, read it, Snowdon is suffering an invasion, I could tell them where to go, not a problem.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on August 23, 2021, 09:18:12 AM
The too many people turning up problem is spreading:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58283816

Published1 hour ago

Walkers on Snowdon have been urged to respect the mountain amid concerns over the impact of a spike in visitors.

About 700,000 people now visit Snowdon each year, compared with about 500,000 in 2018.

In July there were reports of 45-minute queues to the summit.

John Harold, director of the Snowdonia Society, which helps maintain the mountain, said the pressures of litter and erosion on the paths and landscape had become "significant".

Known as Yr Wyddfa in Welsh, Mr Harold said the mountain was a "honeypot" for walkers.

"We all know that access to beautiful places and special places like Snowdon has been important to people, more so than ever recently, but the pressures that have come with that are really quite significant," he said.

"Litter, footpath erosion, wild camping, traffic, parking - in a sense, none of these are new, but they've all acquired a really sharp edge in the last 18 months."

What this Smurphy? Snowdon suffering an invasion? but where else should they go?
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

The too many people turning up problem is spreading:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58283816

Published1 hour ago

Walkers on Snowdon have been urged to respect the mountain amid concerns over the impact of a spike in visitors.

About 700,000 people now visit Snowdon each year, compared with about 500,000 in 2018.

In July there were reports of 45-minute queues to the summit.

John Harold, director of the Snowdonia Society, which helps maintain the mountain, said the pressures of litter and erosion on the paths and landscape had become "significant".

Known as Yr Wyddfa in Welsh, Mr Harold said the mountain was a "honeypot" for walkers.

"We all know that access to beautiful places and special places like Snowdon has been important to people, more so than ever recently, but the pressures that have come with that are really quite significant," he said.

"Litter, footpath erosion, wild camping, traffic, parking - in a sense, none of these are new, but they've all acquired a really sharp edge in the last 18 months."

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe