Main Menu

Beefy

Started by Nick, August 23, 2021, 09:59:22 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on October 01, 2021, 02:48:40 PM
I bet Botham will go native when he gets there land a job in Aussie cricket or as a TV commentator.

And would that be a bad thing ?

The world of sport is filled with cases of former players turned microphone merchants. I feel most know more about the event they are covering than the local politicians know about the lives of the audience ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2021, 11:01:06 AM
Cheers, there are numerous candidates for that nickname.

And there are many nicknames for him. Most would probably get me banned...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HDQQ

I bet Botham will go native when he gets there land a job in Aussie cricket or as a TV commentator.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on August 24, 2021, 12:03:22 PM
For someone who claims to have so much knowledge of the lives and hardships experienced by both ordinary and disadvantaged people, you display a remarkable unfamiliarity with some of the most commonly used expressions and names that are widely used around the place...

Nicknames apart from Bojo-The-Clown and The Angel of Death are not in as common usage as you seem to think.
It certainly has no bearing at all on research and data about  the lives and hardships experienced by both ordinary and disadvantaged people.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2021, 10:48:56 AM
Who is "Big Ears" please?
For someone who claims to have so much knowledge of the lives and hardships experienced by both ordinary and disadvantaged people, you display a remarkable unfamiliarity with some of the most commonly used expressions and names that are widely used around the place...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on August 24, 2021, 10:59:23 AM
prince charles

Cheers, there are numerous candidates for that nickname.

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on August 24, 2021, 09:29:27 AM

The downside of course is if and when Big ears takes over we will have someone all too ready to engage in politics.

Who is "Big Ears" please?

patman post

Wonder if Beefy is intended to be the UK's answer to Australia's Sir Les Patterson...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

He has always been one of those people who put his heart and soul into accomplishing being top of the class at everything he has tried, so whatever a trade envoy is, I reckon he will try to be highly successful at it.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

cromwell

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 24, 2021, 09:10:14 AM

Almost as pointless as Blair the middle East peace envoy.

Actually, as I said about Schwarzenegger and the Governor of California Job, he may be just an actor, but he is also a businessman and knows people. And that's what matters.

The same is true here. Whatever passes for a filofax these days, Botham's us almost certainly full of contacts in as n arena where making things happen matters, and frankly, that's what counts here. A name people recognise with an obvious, and better still APOLITICAL hook (in as much as sport ever is !!!) to the country and its relationship to ours.

As Nick said in the OP I'm sure you the naysayers can think up a dozen or more downsides but frankly I think it better to NOT have a person who came to the job through politics ...

The man is known for sporting achievement in a sport the Aussies are slightly fanatical about, a sport where money abounds. I think he's a perfect figurehead for the work that needs doing.
Excellent point John and straying a tad here I am a republican by nature but it is your very observation that shows the downside of that where inevitably we'd have had a president Bliar Puke

The downside of course is if and when Big ears takes over we will have someone all too ready to engage in politics.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on August 24, 2021, 08:25:52 AM
Given the lack of expertise in the job they have been given it seems to be a pointless exercise.

Almost as pointless as Blair the middle East peace envoy.

Actually, as I said about Schwarzenegger and the Governor of California Job, he may be just an actor, but he is also a businessman and knows people. And that's what matters.

The same is true here. Whatever passes for a filofax these days, Botham's us almost certainly full of contacts in as n arena where making things happen matters, and frankly, that's what counts here. A name people recognise with an obvious, and better still APOLITICAL hook (in as much as sport ever is !!!) to the country and its relationship to ours.

As Nick said in the OP I'm sure you the naysayers can think up a dozen or more downsides but frankly I think it better to NOT have a person who came to the job through politics ...

The man is known for sporting achievement in a sport the Aussies are slightly fanatical about, a sport where money abounds. I think he's a perfect figurehead for the work that needs doing.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 23, 2021, 10:07:00 PM
I think it IS a good move.  I don't know whata Trade Envoy does, I suspect little more than wandering round fixing up meetings, and he's probably been to more of their larger cities that anyone else in the House of Lords

Given the lack of expertise in the job they have been given it seems to be a pointless exercise.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on August 23, 2021, 09:59:22 PM
I'm sure our resident doom mongers will be able to put a negative spin on this but I think it's a good move.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3j3z7j2zdeo
I think it IS a good move.  I don't know whata Trade Envoy does, I suspect little more than wandering round fixing up meetings, and he's probably been to more of their larger cities that anyone else in the House of Lords

Nick

I'm sure our resident doom mongers will be able to put a negative spin on this but I think it's a good move.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3j3z7j2zdeo
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.