: Johnson 'could look at' abolishing BBC licence fee

Started by Borchester, December 09, 2019, 08:03:59 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=9142 time=1576069495 user_id=88
People were copy pasting the "my friend is a senior nurse" as though it was their friend who was a senior nurse and they had heard it first hand rather than from a stranger's FB post.

Yep, that's social meejia for you, BEBB, and it can be awfully unpleasant and totally false. This is why we need people like fullfacts to keep us on the straight and narrow.
† The end is nigh †

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Borchester post_id=9092 time=1576051402 user_id=62
You are missing the point. As John said, we get these imbecilic stories every election. The problem is not sick children dying in hospital corridors because all the drugs have been stolen by Donald Trump, but that you and your political affiliates have such a level of contempt for the electorate that you expect us to believe your badly fashioned hysteria.

Yes we do get these stories every election (and increasingly in-between). This would normally be just another embarrassing NHS trolly story.  It isn't even the worst case scenario for the Tories, nobody died, the kid is recovering etc.

It could have been handled with some empathy.  Instead we had Johnson's terrible performance followed by two dead cats (3 if you count the threats to the BBC).

The punch one was pretty bad. You can bet they would still be singing about it now if it hadn't been proven utterly false.

But the smearing of the parents, for me the worse bit, and how enthusiastically it was taken up by supporters was a new low.

Suddenly everyone was an expert on pediatric care.  Despite the fact they couldn't tell an IV from an oxygen mask, or a bed from a store rack.

People were copy pasting the "my friend is a senior nurse" as though it was their friend who was a senior nurse and they had heard it first hand rather than from a stranger's FB post.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry post_id=9122 time=1576062575 user_id=51
There's a bird sanctuary at Upton Warren, which I visit, right next to the masts. It does seem rather well fenced off and concreted.

I take it there's some sub audio coding in there somewhere? Do you know something I don't? Is it also the VLF transmitting site for subs?

Something like that ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Churchill

Quote from: Barry post_id=9123 time=1576062701 user_id=51
I agree. Everyone should be totally open and honest, with fluffy slipper and iced buns.

Can we say Buns these days, Baps is a No No, and as for Jugs off to the Gulag time ;)
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=9101 time=1576054961 user_id=89
The must be the worst General Election in modern times. The lies, propaganda and nastiness is unacceptable.

I agree. Everyone should be totally open and honest, with fluffy slipper and iced buns.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=9077 time=1576022596 user_id=63
If you want to see armageddon, blow up that 198 Khz transmitter....

There's a bird sanctuary at Upton Warren, which I visit, right next to the masts. It does seem rather well fenced off and concreted.

I take it there's some sub audio coding in there somewhere? Do you know something I don't? Is it also the VLF transmitting site for subs?
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=9112 time=1576060522 user_id=75
It's the medias job to hold politicians to account. Your labelling of this as 'bullying' is effectively an attempt to suppress the holding of politicians to account, or at least those politicians you favour.

Mr Johnson has a lot of valid questions to answer in regards to her personal integrity, the Conservatives track record in government and their current and future policies. Similarly other political leaders have their own issues which need to be put under the spotlight.

Journalists need to be asking these questions so the public can make informed decisions instead of being limited to relying on lies and misinformation from political parties.

Up to a point you're right. What I do not accept is is your view, as demonstrated yet again in your post, that it all applies only one way. I suspect you are a Corbyn supporter and yet while determining the need for Conservative investigation you ignore Labour's past. What I abhor in the media is not their reasons but their MO. There is absolutely no need for abuse and hounding of any colour of hypocrisy. It does no service to us in making a decision one way or another to see the (I repeat) inhumane bullying of those making quite a sacrifice to serve the rest of us. If we wish for politicians with principles and integrity then we need to start showing a little respect. Perhaps journalists could make a start. It is the easiest thing in the world to go scurrying through the detritus of everyone's life until some dirt is found simply to denigrate someone. It is out of hand and it is we the electorate who will suffer in the long run.

Ciaphas

Quote from: T00ts post_id=9099 time=1576054312 user_id=54
The story is irrelevant - true or false - more to the point is the bunker attitude that has arisen from the constant bullying by reporters out make their name by 'bringing down' BJ. Who would be an MP or particularly a party leader. Whoever we consider they have all been harangued, insulted and pushed with little thought for the human being behind the position.

I wouldn't blame any of them if they all simply refused to interact with those whose sole purpose is to provide sensational moments on the campaign trail. I get the feeling that reporters currently feel they will actually decide the vote simply by the drivel that they have consistently broadcast/printed.

I can't wait for tomorrow if for no other reason than that they will be silenced until 10pm.

It's the medias job to hold politicians to account. Your labelling of this as 'bullying' is effectively an attempt to suppress the holding of politicians to account, or at least those politicians you favour.

Mr Johnson has a lot of valid questions to answer in regards to his personal integrity, the Conservatives track record in government and their current and future policies. Similarly other political leaders have their own issues which need to be put under the spotlight.

Journalists need to be asking these questions so the public can make informed decisions instead of being limited to relying on lies and misinformation from political parties.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=9101 time=1576054961 user_id=89
The must be the worst General Election in modern times. The lies, propaganda and nastiness is unacceptable.

Sadly the example fed to us could almost be described as incitement. The anger, disillusion and fear that I feel the media has worked hard to create over the last 3 years has gone a long way to creating the social situation we are currently enduring. It has escalated over the last weeks and today seems to have reached hysterical levels. With 'freedom' comes the need for responsibility and no-one seems prepared to call the almost inhumane behaviour, that currently passes for sensationalist story chasing, for what it really is.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement. Reporting has not been even handed, opinions have been twisted or denigrated in a way which is no service to us the electorate, or even having any point any longer. It has reduced politics in this country to the lowest common denominator and no matter what the result by the weekend I see no end to the style of political reporting that now seems to be favoured by those who really should know better.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=9099 time=1576054312 user_id=54
 I get the feeling that reporters currently feel they will actually decide the vote simply by the drivel that they have consistently broadcast/printed.

I can't wait for tomorrow if for no other reason than that they will be silenced until 10pm.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Churchill

<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

T00ts

The story is irrelevant - true or false - more to the point is the bunker attitude that has arisen from the constant bullying by reporters out make their name by 'bringing down' BJ. Who would be an MP or particularly a party leader. Whoever we consider they have all been harangued, insulted and pushed with little thought for the human being behind the position.

I wouldn't blame any of them if they all simply refused to interact with those whose sole purpose is to provide sensational moments on the campaign trail. I get the feeling that reporters currently feel they will actually decide the vote simply by the drivel that they have consistently broadcast/printed.

Churchill

Quote from: Borchester post_id=9092 time=1576051402 user_id=62
You are missing the point. As John said, we get these imbecilic stories every election. The problem is not sick children dying in hospital corridors because all the drugs have been stolen by Donald Trump, but that you and your political affiliates have such a level of contempt for the electorate that you expect us to believe your badly fashioned hysteria.

Every GE the NHS is used by the Poloticians as a point scoring football its a disgrace IMO the NHS should not be used for that, the fact is have we ever had a time when we had over capacity in our hospitals when we had spare empty wards in cases of emergency

Even if we had today which is impossible due to the huge demand on the NHS 24/7, we don't have the trained staff to run them it takes three years to train a nurse just to get to the point where they are on the bottom rung of their nursing career, inexperienced.

As fast as we can recruit staff others are leaving and many do not stay the course which should be no surprise to anyone with the size of the population we will never be able to build enough hospitals quick enough or train enough staff to keep pace with the demand on our NHS, its not possible no matter how much money pumped into by any Government

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=9081 time=1576045814 user_id=88

Just pause and think - "if they are happy to spread rumour and innuendo about a sick 4 year old, what else are they willing to lie about?" <cough> NI border <cough>

Well it now appears the "no checks" on the NI border appear to be total bollocks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50733840">https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50733840

UK ports 'preparing to host EU customs checks' By Faisal Islam  Economics editor 10 December 2019

The shipping industry is drawing up plans for EU border checks in Britain for trade bound for Northern Ireland.

The BBC has learned that freight could be diverted through ports with space for inspections such as Liverpool and Stranraer, despite the government denying checks will be necessary.

Customs staff at the relevant ports could include EU representatives, under the details of the new withdrawal deal.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=9081 time=1576045814 user_id=88
The point this time is not that the hospital was so short of beds that an ill 4yo had to spend several hours in a treatment room rather than a bed.  This case is not special, there are numerous similar examples (in itself a scandal)

The bigger issue is the conservative reaction to it.  First we have Johnson's terrible interview.  Taking a journalists phone FFS and then his wooden and irritable reaction when finally cornered on the question.

Then we have not one but two attempts at spinning their way out with fabricated stories.

Is this the world we want to be in? where facts are secondary to click bait headlines and hot takes?

People on this forum were regurgitating some of the "talking points" put out by the spin farms that are verifiably false.

Just pause and think - "if they are happy to spread rumour and innuendo about a sick 4 year old, what else are they willing to lie about?" <cough> NI border <cough>

Algerie Francais !