The culprits for the Afghanistan debacle revealed

Started by HallowedBrexit, August 29, 2021, 11:21:49 PM

« previous - next »

DeppityDawg

Quote from: patman post on August 31, 2021, 01:59:41 PM
One point is that Britain has for centruries seen itself as a military power. So after WWII, when Britain received over one quarter of the total Marshall Aid (almost equivalent to that given to France and W.Germany combined),  it channeled vast amounts into its military. The result was that its industry and infrastructure lagged behind — eg, it was still building steam locomotives until 1960...

Another shallow Patman Post rewriting of history. Yes Pat. After WW2, Britain had to maintain forces in Europe for obvious reasons. And its military spending directly after the war was largely to do with the fact that neither France nor Germany were able to supply much in the way of a deterrent to the large Soviet Army sitting on the other side of the IGB. And latterly because of the UKs commitment to NATO and to provide a large Field Force for the defence of Europe, which incidentally, was also a condition of the French agreeing to German rearmament

But hey, don't let the facts stand in the way of a cool sounding story, eh.

patman post

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on August 29, 2021, 11:21:49 PM
https://www.express.co.uk/comment/columnists/patrick-o-flynn/1483174/all-nations-pull-weight-afghanistan-joe-biden-us-president-taliban

With the EU failing to meet their obligations to NATO, it is no surprise that Afghanistan fell so quickly after the almighty UK and US troops left. It is a repeating story in Europe's history that the UK has shouldered the whole burden to keep this part of the world going. We didn't receive any Marshal plan aid after WW2 and instead dedicated a large amount of troops to keep the border in Nazi Germany secure.

When will this madness end?
One point is that Britain has for centruries seen itself as a military power. So after WWII, when Britain received over one quarter of the total Marshall Aid (almost equivalent to that given to France and W.Germany combined),  it channeled vast amounts into its military. The result was that its industry and infrastructure lagged behind — eg, it was still building steam locomotives until 1960...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on August 31, 2021, 10:35:07 AM
So did I. I got away from the hell hole that is Cornwall. To a secure  location ,

Broadmoor ?
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 31, 2021, 10:05:40 AM
I think my experience holds a hell of a lot more validity than yours, I actually left the house. 😉

So did I. I got away from the hell hole that is Cornwall. To a secure  location 250 miles away, no entry to the site unless certificated Covid free within 36 hours of arrival. Strict Covid hygiene regulations enforced.  Numbers limited anyway.  Great weekend.
A lot of grumbling and anger from current and ex Squaddies about the situation in Afghanistan.
(Frankly is appears you are not keeping up with the current situation in Cornwall. I would not go for a holiday there.)

https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/cornwall-to-get-more-help-from-government-to-tackle-sharp-rise-in-covid-cases/

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 31, 2021, 09:31:04 AM
You were lucky. Your individual experience against the generality of the hell hole that is Cornwall currently carries no validity.

I think my experience holds a hell of a lot more validity than yours, I actually left the house. 😉
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 30, 2021, 10:03:33 PM
Your view on everything is skewed as my week in Cornwall has shown me.

You were lucky. Your individual experience against the generality of the hell hole that is Cornwall currently carries no validity.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 30, 2021, 04:38:24 PM
That is the best joke I have heard for a very long time.

Your view on everything is skewed as my week in Cornwall has shown me.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on August 30, 2021, 08:46:45 AM

"I think Britain in the Brexit era can be a resurgent world power.

That is the best joke I have heard for a very long time.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Thomas on August 30, 2021, 09:12:28 AM
:D ;D

you been sitting with borkie watching sid james in carry on up the khyber?

Funny you should mention that.

Terry Scott and Charles Hawtrey had some splendid Taliban beards. I wonder who they scalped to get them.

It did seem a little strange that ITV3 chose to put on Carry On Up The Khyber this weekend though.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Thomas

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?