The culprits for the Afghanistan debacle revealed

Started by HallowedBrexit, August 29, 2021, 11:21:49 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Mod Notice
Come a long way from Afghanistan and got a bit tetchy along the way.

Regrettably locked.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

DeppityDawg

This post is entitled, "Please indulge me while I assure you that I am better than you". No one is actually quoted, so it refers to no one in particular, know what I mean?

Of course, I'll have accept my share of guilt in this — but in my defence, I can only say there isn't one, but why let that stop a good wind up, eh?. After all, I can always claim that "management" (which I must admit after a sherry or two, is a rather clumsy attempt to suggest I actually respect them) regarded the whole thing as a "piss take".

As the thread meandered through the traffic-blocked country roads of Cornwall and memories of Ealing Comedy — against the flow — it started to become clear that mockery, rather than actual facts, was my intention. And little I've done since has disproved that really, has it?

Some of my arguments (in which I cited eminent historians) excited responses that even the lowest spawn of Satan might be proud to have on their CV. Which is arguably true, because while some people actually did something for this country, I concentrated on making money, which I never miss an opportunity to tell you all. And the fact that those eminent sources I quote include the likes of BBC History and the Guardian is rather an admission that history is not so much a product of a generations experience anymore, but rather WHO is telling the story and whether or not they tick the correct boxes or not. And as you all know, I'm all for the correct boxes being ticked (as long as its suits my argument)

But I don't really go in for personal insults. I prefer under the radar sneering, which both absolves me of any guilt and reinforces my own belief in my inate superiority, because of course, highly educated persons like me don't resort to insults, do they? So, if we all promise to be good, ( ::) ) why not let this thread continue under a different title, perhaps changed to something like: "please let me continue to talk down to you all" or "how come my heavily biased views aren't automatically accepted by people that I relentlessly mock every time I post onhere"...?

PS — I'm not querying any Mod decisions, but simply offering different interpretations !!

patman post

I'll accept my share of guilt in this — but in my defence only the opening post and my reply (#16) actually have any connection to the subject: The culprits for the Afghanistan debacle revealed.  And replies #1 and #2 seem to indicate that management regarded the whole thing as a "piss take". 

As the thread meandered through the traffic-blocked country roads of Cornwall and memories of Ealing Comedy — against the flow — I tried to address points in the opening post (reply #16). 

Some of my arguments (in which I cited eminent historians) excited responses that even the lowest spawn of Satan might be proud to have on their CV.

But I don't really go in for personal insults. So, if we all promise to be good, why not let this thread continue under a different title, perhaps changed to something like: "Did the UK squander its Marshall Aid" or "if it didn't, how come two countries the UK helped smash the daylights out of, are so much more industrially advanced"...? 

PS — I'm not querying a Mod decision, but offering a constructive suggestion!
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Quote from: Borchester on September 11, 2021, 01:04:11 PM
Why not move the thread to the Chatbox Ollie?

Then we can talk plain.
That is not how Chatbox works. You don't seem to have posted in it yet.
Moderator Notice
Topic will be closed if it does not get back on thread.
The culprits for the Afghanistan debacle revealed
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on September 11, 2021, 12:34:44 PM
Mod Notice

Barry has already left one warning about playing nice,please heed.
Second and last warning.

Why not move the thread to the Chatbox Ollie?

Then we can talk plain.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Mod Notice

Barry has already left one warning about playing nice,please heed.
Second and last warning.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 10, 2021, 07:28:32 PM
I'm sure we all (or most of us) get that this is the internet. That its difficult to read mood and meaning into posts on a discussion forum. For someone who professes a distinct lack of f**ks for this place, you're still posting here after so many years telling everyone else what a bag of bollox the place is. Yet this isn't Reddit, where people exchange insults with contributors they've no prior knowledge of. Many of us here (and the previous forums) have 10 or more years of history and our opinions and foibles are well known

The question is, if you find it so boring and uneventful, then why do you stay? Perhaps part of the reason why you mock everyone is because some deserve it. But there's something that sticks out with you. In all the years you've been posting, I've never once seen a sliver of self deprecation, never once seen you mock yourself even gently, as almost everyone else does on occasion (even Javert). Even Cornwalls finest is on occasion capable of cutting humour, and has a level of self awareness you seem utterly incapable of

I don't think you'll ever be at Goodfellow levels, but you are almost certainly a narcissist.

True Pat.

You can be a bit pompous at times.

Edited by cromwell
Algerie Francais !

DeppityDawg

For the record, no one who grew up in 50s, 60s or 70s Britain can have failed to notice the inefficiency, failure and waste of British Industry - from our archaic railways, failing coal, steel and manufacturing industries, to our hopelessly inefficient and militant car plants and docks. Much of this was about lack of investment or failure to adopt more efficient working practices. Thatcher lovers get your kicks right here.

But the argument that the UK "squandered its Marshall aid" on military spending when France refused to trust Germany, not a single German was able to face the Soviet and Warsaw Pact forces until well into the 50s, and while millions of Germans remained POWs for years after the war, is distorted and unfair. Rather like the lie that its been the EU that has "kept the peace in Europe" for the last 75 years, its a piece of political tinsel in an exercise to rewrite history that insults everyone who can remember or contributed to it. It has been NATO, in which Britain, whether it wanted to be or not was a major component, that has kept the peace in Europe.

This is a bit of a Mark Twain thread for Patman Post anyway, since despite how shite the UK is ( ::) ) and all of its failures, it remains one of the worlds largest economies.

Sheepy

Quote from: patman post on September 09, 2021, 05:42:07 PMI suggest there's different skill requirements between mechanics and engineers...
Usually, one makes it and the other is constantly fixing it when it goes wrong?
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Quote from: DeppityDawg on September 10, 2021, 07:28:32 PM
I'm sure we all (or most of us) get that this is the internet. That its difficult to read mood and meaning into posts on a discussion forum. For someone who professes a distinct lack of f**ks for this place, you're still posting here after so many years telling everyone else what a bag of bollox the place is. Yet this isn't Reddit, where people exchange insults with contributors they've no prior knowledge of. Many of us here (and the previous forums) have 10 or more years of history and our opinions and foibles are well known

The question is, if you find it so boring and uneventful, then why do you stay? Perhaps part of the reason why you mock everyone is because some deserve it. But there's something that sticks out with you. In all the years you've been posting, I've never once seen a sliver of self deprecation, never once seen you mock yourself even gently, as almost everyone else does on occasion (even Javert). Even Cornwalls finest is on occasion capable of cutting humour, and has a level of self awareness you seem utterly incapable of

I don't think you'll ever be at Goodfellow levels, but you are almost certainly a narcissist.

There is also an element of their style in the way people post I guess.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on September 10, 2021, 03:15:34 PM
Isnt that a witty remark?

::)

Not really, just Pat being his usual self. Who would have guessed it.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

DeppityDawg

Quote from: patman post on September 10, 2021, 12:59:11 PM
Guess that's me off the Christmas Card list then...

I'm sure we all (or most of us) get that this is the internet. That its difficult to read mood and meaning into posts on a discussion forum. For someone who professes a distinct lack of fucks for this place, you're still posting here after so many years telling everyone else what a bag of bollox the place is. Yet this isn't Reddit, where people exchange insults with contributors they've no prior knowledge of. Many of us here (and the previous forums) have 10 or more years of history and our opinions and foibles are well known

Thomas

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

patman post

Guess that's me off the Christmas Card list then...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

DeppityDawg

Quote from: patman post on September 09, 2021, 05:42:07 PMIf DD is upset by any mild comments posted in his direction, perhaps he should refrain from making personal remarks about other posters. And while I've no reason to doubt DD's skills — I suggest there's different skill requirements between mechanics and engineers...

Upset by you? You're a lightweight, Pat, and always have been. As I've told you numerous times before, I cannot fecking stand you, because you are an arrogant snob who thinks he is better than everyone else on here. You cannot or will not actually debate a subject, you just want to make drive by comments and poke fun at others. You've freely admitted multiple times that you come on here to mock others, and you've mocked this forum and its posters over and over again. Yet for some reason, you seem puzzled when others hit back and tell you what a complete **** you are, almost as if you should be left alone to mock and ridicule others without fear of reprisal. Sorry, but that's not how it works.

This discussion (if it call be called that) basically started when you suggested that the UKs troubles stem from it considering itself a military power, and me pointing out to you that said UK had little option but to remain a military power after the end of WW2 because neither France nor Germany were in a position to help the US counter the Soviet Union, something even biased sources like Correlli have to acknowledge. You scoffed at this, suggesting that, basically, the UK was "churning out lumps of iron in the guise of machine tools, or steam locomotives, or bread and butter motor vehicles to pre-war specs to flog to the dominions"

None of the above is accurate. Machine tools are not made out of "iron", the UK's research into diesel locomotives and the rail network itself was hampered by the huge expense and expedience of WW2 (and had produced them by the 1950s anyway), and the "bread and butter motor vehicles" you scoff at were of a similar level of technological advancement as their contemporaries, such as the previously mentioned VW Beetle, and others like the Citroen 2CV and the Fiat 500. None of this is important though, because you aren't interested in balanced arguments, only in sneering and guffawing at other posters and the imagined "racist" past of this country as it suits your personal world view

This exchange (or any other I've been involved in with you) isn't about recognising failures of the UK, or accepting criticisms of ones country or ones culture. Its a clash of personalities, in which you see "old white people" (you won't actually say it, but you mean it) as something slightly distasteful, and many of your comments contain deliberate barbs designed to poke fun at other posters. That's the only real difference between you and I Pat. You prefer to engender a sense of superiority by often mentioning your education, your wealth (like your BMW, what a surprise you drive one of those), your professionalism, and above all, by careful use of absolutely word perfect prosy english.

Wheras I just can't stand you and say it