Confirmatory Vote.

Started by Nick, December 10, 2019, 10:06:36 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Conchúr post_id=9173 time=1576078043 user_id=83
I don't quite agree with the dichotomy but it matters not anyway — the UK is a parliamentary democracy and the election will return a Parliament that can exercise its will via the constitutional process.

What I would say though is that this has been a depressingly cynical election. The Conservative campaign has been stunningly insipid in its message and objectives.  They have quite literally engineered a message of "the other guy is worse" rather than setting out what makes them a good option on their own accord. Brexit itself has also seemingly been downgraded from something which was great and in the national interest to something which just needs to "get done" (which even at that is a lie, because it will be a long and complex road, not some single moment of clean break). This party has, for several years now, allowed its own infighting to drag the nation down — fumbling through negotiations with the EU like a fart in the wind, leaving the UK looking increasingly irrational in the eyes of the world, 'winning' a Withdrawal Agreement which is effectively one of the worst agreements any developed country will have signed in modern times, and just generally being woefully incompetent in international diplomacy and the handling of major constitutional issues.

But those criticisms only highlight Corbyn's own failings. He was given the gift of being Leader of the Opposition against a divided, incompetent and fairytale-spinning government — and yet despite having this open goal he has contrived to kick the ball wide every single time.  Brexit was the rock on which he could have broken the Tories, and yet he sat stupidly on the fence, too rigidly bound to his own principles to demonstrate the pragmatism required of a leader. Even now, his message on Brexit — the biggest constitutional shift in modern British history — is confusing and severely lacking in ...well...balls. Never before has the term "wrong man at the wrong time" been more perfectly applicable than to Jeremy Corbyn.

So yeah, a very depressing election being contested by two parties who are currently living in fantasy worlds.  The incompetence they have demonstrated should not fill anyone with excitement as to the many negotiations to come with countries looking to leverage a profit from Brexit.

Sorry but I don't agree.

The Tories have had little infighting apart from May contriving to not do what the country asked in 2016. When Borris got in he basically removed the hardened anarchists within the party like Anna Sourpuss.

Due to May's dilly dallying the party lost its majority and then Borris had to battle to do anything.

Hopefully after the vote Borris will be able to complete the task the country has asked the HoC's to do 4 times.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: Sheepy post_id=9170 time=1576077688 user_id=52
Neither do you,obviously,as Labour has done its upmost to make it not about Brexit.Because they decided to treat their Brexit voters like usual as utter idiots.We will soon see if it worked.Or it has just made them angrier,won't we.

He clearly doesn't understand Population density.

Another blinkered remainer.

Conchúr

Quote from: Nick post_id=8907 time=1575972396 user_id=73
So, if the Conservatives return a Majority on Thursday I assume all the Remainers will accept this as the People saying what they want with 3 and a half years of knowledge behind them. No more you didn't know what you were doing.

I doubt it cause you wouldn't know democracy if it slapped you in the face.

I don't quite agree with the dichotomy but it matters not anyway — the UK is a parliamentary democracy and the election will return a Parliament that can exercise its will via the constitutional process.

What I would say though is that this has been a depressingly cynical election. The Conservative campaign has been stunningly insipid in its message and objectives.  They have quite literally engineered a message of "the other guy is worse" rather than setting out what makes them a good option on their own accord. Brexit itself has also seemingly been downgraded from something which was great and in the national interest to something which just needs to "get done" (which even at that is a lie, because it will be a long and complex road, not some single moment of clean break). This party has, for several years now, allowed its own infighting to drag the nation down — fumbling through negotiations with the EU like a fart in the wind, leaving the UK looking increasingly irrational in the eyes of the world, 'winning' a Withdrawal Agreement which is effectively one of the worst agreements any developed country will have signed in modern times, and just generally being woefully incompetent in international diplomacy and the handling of major constitutional issues.

But those criticisms only highlight Corbyn's own failings. He was given the gift of being Leader of the Opposition against a divided, incompetent and fairytale-spinning government — and yet despite having this open goal he has contrived to kick the ball wide every single time.  Brexit was the rock on which he could have broken the Tories, and yet he sat stupidly on the fence, too rigidly bound to his own principles to demonstrate the pragmatism required of a leader. Even now, his message on Brexit — the biggest constitutional shift in modern British history — is confusing and severely lacking in ...well...balls. Never before has the term "wrong man at the wrong time" been more perfectly applicable than to Jeremy Corbyn.

So yeah, a very depressing election being contested by two parties who are currently living in fantasy worlds.  The incompetence they have demonstrated should not fill anyone with excitement as to the many negotiations to come with countries looking to leverage a profit from Brexit.

Sheepy

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=9083 time=1576047110 user_id=75
You don't have a clue, that is evident.

Neither do you,obviously,as Labour has done its upmost to make it not about Brexit.Because they decided to treat their Brexit voters like usual as utter idiots.We will soon see if it worked.Or it has just made them angrier,won't we.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Churchill

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=9087 time=1576050034 user_id=75
Information on the lack of affordable and social housing building and other factors contributing to housing shortages is widely available. Information on the decimation and underfunding of the NHS and social care is widely available.

You're a walking right-wing tabloid rag Nick.

Supply and demand dictate the cost of everything , we don't have enough housing so the price of buying your own property goes up which it has, meaning many cannot possibly afford to buy, same problem renting in the private sector lack of supply dictates high rents.

Lack of social housing which is also in short supply we have had long waiting lists for social housing for years and years now they are even longer.

We cannot build enough fast enough to cater for the rising population, in London where I am they will need to build over 250,000 a year just to try and keep pace with the rising population of London, same in other cities and large towns.

You cannot get a quart out of a paint pot, you cannot get a quart into a pint pot.

NHS the largest employer in Europe over 1 million staff the majority of which are British Citizens cannot cope with demand, we do not have enough hospitals or staff to look after over 65 million people, it cannot cope with the demand on it 24/7 , our entire infrastructure is failing due to the demands on it, money alone will not solve it

That is not right wing its reality, its all around you
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Nick

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=9087 time=1576050034 user_id=75
Information on the lack of affordable and social housing building and other factors contributing to housing shortages is widely available. Information on the decimation and underfunding of the NHS and social care is widely available.

So you can't answer the above stats then.

So you show me how "Lack of" isn't the same as too many ?

Ciaphas

Quote from: Nick post_id=9086 time=1576049613 user_id=73Prove me wrong?

Nick

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=9083 time=1576047110 user_id=75

Same population as France yet a 3 times smaller land mass. Yeah I haven't a clue.

Ciaphas

Quote from: Nick post_id=9063 time=1576010158 user_id=73
We don't have an NHS crisis, we don't have a housing crisis. We have a 10 million people too many in the country crisis.

Churchill

Quote from: Nick post_id=9063 time=1576010158 user_id=73
We don't have an NHS crisis, we don't have a housing crisis. We have a 10 million people too many in the country crisis.

Plus lack of school places, if Labour win they will continue to allow Freedom of Movement which will increase the population even more which will put even more strain on our entire Infrastructure
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Nick

Quote from: Javert post_id=9043 time=1576003734 user_id=64
Well calculations based on the polling articles I saw a few days ago, it's looking quite likely that the Conservatives will be elected with a majority.

They will be elected on the basis of a vote by less than 16.1 million people, and a little more than 17.4 million people will vote for parties that either oppose Brexit completely or want a confirmatory vote, which if nothing else is pretty ironic.

They will then carry out leaving the EU based on the PM's winding back of the EU withdrawal deal to a worse earlier version (sorry I meant genius negotiation), followed possibly by a WTO Brexit on end of 2020.

We will then be told that this is democratic.

In the meantime, nobody has noticed that as of next week, the WTO effectively doesn't exist anymore because the appeals body that judges on trade disputes under the WTO will cease to exist, due to our fine friends the US refusing to nominate enough people to make it quorate.

Tell that to the SNP that get 57  seats with a million ish votes in 2015. UKIP got 3.9 million and got 1. Stick your fair where the sun don't shine.

Nick

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=9042 time=1576003456 user_id=75
I think the state of the NHS and social care is more important personally but I guess I care more about the immediate welfare of people than whether or not we stay in the EU.

Nick

Quote from: Borchester post_id=8955 time=1575982665 user_id=62
A rather cynical post if you don't mind my saying so Barry. I have no doubt that if the Tories win Jo Swinson will bow her head and say well, it is not the result that I wanted but it is the voice of the people, so I will accept it.

:D  :D

Barry ??

Barry

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=9039 time=1576003019 user_id=50
You're losing the plot you senile auld t^^t. Unless Barry is also called Nick on every other Tuesday.

I noticed it and just put it down to him being Borchester.  :lol:

Call me what you like, but never call me "late for dinner".  ;)
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Javert post_id=9043 time=1576003734 user_id=64

In the meantime, nobody has noticed that as of next week, the WTO effectively doesn't exist anymore because the appeals body that judges on trade disputes under the WTO will cease to exist, due to our fine friends the US refusing to nominate enough people to make it quorate.

I noticed it was going to happen a long time ago.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe