Confirmatory Vote.

Started by Nick, December 10, 2019, 10:06:36 AM

« previous - next »

Javert

Well calculations based on the polling articles I saw a few days ago, it's looking quite likely that the Conservatives will be elected with a majority.

They will be elected on the basis of a vote by less than 16.1 million people, and a little more than 17.4 million people will vote for parties that either oppose Brexit completely or want a confirmatory vote, which if nothing else is pretty ironic.

They will then carry out leaving the EU based on the PM's winding back of the EU withdrawal deal to a worse earlier version (sorry I meant genius negotiation), followed possibly by a WTO Brexit on end of 2020.

We will then be told that this is democratic.

In the meantime, nobody has noticed that as of next week, the WTO effectively doesn't exist anymore because the appeals body that judges on trade disputes under the WTO will cease to exist, due to our fine friends the US refusing to nominate enough people to make it quorate.

Ciaphas

Quote from: Borchester post_id=9036 time=1576002393 user_id=62
Quite. And the most important is Brexit.

I think the state of the NHS and social care is more important personally but I guess I care more about the immediate welfare of people than whether or not we stay in the EU.

Borchester

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=9039 time=1576003019 user_id=50
You're losing the plot you senile auld t^^t. Unless Barry is also called Nick on every other Tuesday.

I knew that. I was just checking to see if Nick and Barry were on the ball.

Do try to keep up DD.
Algerie Francais !

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Borchester post_id=8955 time=1575982665 user_id=62
A rather cynical post if you don't mind my saying so Barry. I have no doubt that if the Tories win Jo Swinson will bow her head and say well, it is not the result that I wanted but it is the voice of the people, so I will accept it.

:D  :D

You're losing the plot you senile auld t^^t. Unless Barry is also called Nick on every other Tuesday.

Borchester

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=9011 time=1575994756 user_id=75
Despite Mr Johnson answering nearly every question he's asked with 'get Brexit done' there are numerous issues influencing peoples votes.

Quite. And the most important is Brexit.
Algerie Francais !

Ciaphas

Quote from: Barry post_id=8948 time=1575981993 user_id=51
You'll be telling us this general election isn't about Brexit, next!

Despite Mr Johnson answering nearly every question he's asked with 'get Brexit done' there are numerous issues influencing peoples votes.

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester post_id=8955 time=1575982665 user_id=62
A rather cynical post if you don't mind my saying so Barry. I have no doubt that if the Tories win Jo Swinson will bow her head and say well, it is not the result that I wanted but it is the voice of the people, so I will accept it.

Oh lovely! First giggle for a week!!

Borchester

Quote from: Nick post_id=8907 time=1575972396 user_id=73
So, if the Conservatives return a Majority on Thursday I assume all the Remainers will accept this as the People saying what they want with 3 and a half years of knowledge behind them. No more you didn't know what you were doing.

I doubt it cause you wouldn't know democracy if it slapped you in the face.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=8948 time=1575981993 user_id=51

That is not the only issue by a long way. Thinking it is the only issue will bite politicians on the arse.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Ciaphas

Quote from: Barry post_id=8916 time=1575976371 user_id=51
I doubt it to.

We told them Thursday 23rd June 2016. Referendum.

We told them Thursday 8th June 2017. General election result - parties elected saying they will honour result.

We told them Thursday 23rd May 2019. Brexit party won the EU elections.

If they don't get it this time, Thursday 12th December - they never will. Which is a possibility, that we never leave.

Having said that, the confirmatory vote brigade seem to have been defeated.

The referendum didn't rule out a confirmatory referendum. It was even mentioned by David Davis and Jacob Rees-Mogg at the time and is an entirely sensible course of action once the implimentable options are known.

The 2017 GE wasn't a referendum.

The 2019 GE isn't a referendum.

Barry

Quote from: Nick post_id=8907 time=1575972396 user_id=73
So, if the Conservatives return a Majority on Thursday I assume all the Remainers will accept this as the People saying what they want with 3 and a half years of knowledge behind them. No more you didn't know what you were doing.

I doubt it to.

We told them Thursday 23rd June 2016. Referendum.

We told them Thursday 8th June 2017. General election result - parties elected saying they will honour result.

We told them Thursday 23rd May 2019. Brexit party won the EU elections.

If they don't get it this time, Thursday 12th December - they never will. Which is a possibility, that we never leave.

Having said that, the confirmatory vote brigade seem to have been defeated.
† The end is nigh †

Ciaphas

This is a general election not a confirmatory referendum. I'd have thought you would have known the difference.

Also lets no forget the lies and deception which have dominated the Conservative campaign as well as suppression of the Russian interference report which presumably wouldn't have reflected well on the Conservatives otherwise Mr Johnson would have released it.

All in all this has been a dodgy election so far.

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.