Universal credit: When will the £20 increase stop?

Started by GBNews, September 01, 2021, 01:00:16 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on September 02, 2021, 06:21:29 PM

Sure there are the feckless but in a way do you blame them,they look at the likes of politicians and think well why can't I fiddle too.

I don't blame anyone Ollie. But I reckon that if the Dole Queue Army or the Deserving Poor are waiting someone else to build the shining city on the hill and solve all their problems then they are in for a bloody long wait.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on September 02, 2021, 05:13:47 PM
I have been lucky.

I have lived most of my life in places where there has been work. Plus, I have had a decent technical and practical education so have been able to turn my hand to a lot of this. And even more to the point, I have been with a someone who does not think that I should be sitting on my arse when the kids are wanting.

So Ollie, I agree. There are a lot of poor buggers without my advantages.

But I also know folk who have had the same start in life as I have and they won't take their coats off for anyone, including themselves. So sod them, I ran out of guilt a long time back.
Well in some ways we we were a fortunate generation at times,when I started work and for a good while you could walk out of one job in to another.

Enter stage right mad old bat Thatcher (yes I know you're a fan and why so let's leave that eh?) but suddenly some sectors like hgv drivers are in demand and companies are falling over themseves to give out wads of cash......it wont last and bastards like cameron and bliar are never affected and stuff their wallets.

But there are poor hard working people who get shat on time after time.

Sure there are the feckless but in a way do you blame them,they look at the likes of politicians and think well why can't I fiddle too.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on September 02, 2021, 03:07:21 PM
Oh give over many do have jobs,perhaps if they were paid a living wage and employers weren't able to get away with paying crap wages subsidised by everyone else.

I have been lucky.

I have lived most of my life in places where there has been work. Plus, I have had a decent technical and practical education so have been able to turn my hand to a lot of this. And even more to the point, I have been with a someone who does not think that I should be sitting on my arse when the kids are wanting.

So Ollie, I agree. There are a lot of poor buggers without my advantages.

But I also know folk who have had the same start in life as I have and they won't take their coats off for anyone, including themselves. So sod them, I ran out of guilt a long time back.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on September 02, 2021, 11:49:13 AM
Hey Ive got an idea, how about they get a job?
Oh give over many do have jobs,perhaps if they were paid a living wage and employers weren't able to get away with paying crap wages subsidised by everyone else.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on September 02, 2021, 02:11:29 PM

No offense Pappy, but you truly are the contempt of men. And to be honest, being skint does not impress the lasses either.

The contemptible people are the I am alright Jack brigade. Frankly they are totally out of touch with no clue. (The prerequisites for being a Tory MP.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on September 02, 2021, 01:22:38 PM
You're not limited to having one job you know!
My eldest was full time at uni, worked in Curry's and had a cleaning job since she was 17. This is not luck or about being special, it's a frame of mind which sadly millions don't have so excuse me if I have no sympathy.

You spoiled the kid.

I had a morning paper round when I was 12, supplemented that with a job cleaning pubs when I was 14 and was on regular wages at 16.

The thing is, you can sit around acting as though having your arse out of you trousers is something to be proud of, or you can get or create a job and have some freedom of action.
Quote from: papasmurf on September 02, 2021, 01:43:37 PM
I know people doing three or even more jobs, and/or working 60/80 hours a week it still leaves them short of enough to live on.
You have no sympathy because you are an I am alright Jack Tory completely out of touch with anything beyond personal experience.

Nah. You have created a culture where being poor is always someone else's fault and thereby condemned millions to a life of poverty and humiliation.

No offense Pappy, but you truly are the contempt of men. And to be honest, being skint does not impress the lasses either.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 02, 2021, 01:22:38 PM
My eldest was full time at uni, worked in Curry's and had a cleaning job since she was 17. This is not luck or about being special, it's a frame of mind which sadly millions don't have so excuse me if I have no sympathy.

I know people doing three or even more jobs, and/or working 60/80 hours a week it still leaves them short of enough to live on.
You have no sympathy because you are an I am alright Jack Tory completely out of touch with anything beyond personal experience.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 02, 2021, 12:14:54 PM
Cor Blimey  most of them HAVE got a job. UC took/takes the place of many other benefits including in work ones.
The problem is despite government promises, (lies,) UC is often £thousands  a year less.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 02, 2021, 12:57:29 PM
I thought simplicity of Universal Credit support for low people on income and unemployed, was its attraction.   

It includes a monthly payment to help with living costs. Universal Credit can also help businesses support employees who receive it. What's not to like...?

Universal Credit is a good idea, in theory, BUT it has left a lot of people worse off, despite Government assurances to the contrary and the DWP are crap at administering it. (No change there.)

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on September 02, 2021, 08:05:23 AM
Universal Credit has replaced many benefits both in work and out of work.
I thought simplicity of Universal Credit support for low people on income and unemployed, was its attraction.   

It includes a monthly payment to help with living costs. Universal Credit can also help businesses support employees who receive it. What's not to like...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

That is racist and I am going to report you to you.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

FFS most of them HAVE got a job. UC took/takes the place of many other benefits including in work ones.
The problem is despite government promises, (lies,) UC is often £thousands  a year less.

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on September 02, 2021, 10:29:40 AM
Well food costs are rising because of the increase in transport costs and gas & electric is rising considerably too,perversely the poorest with prepayment meters are charged more per unit.

So are rents rising.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on September 01, 2021, 09:52:10 PM
Why is this £20 boost necessary? What are the extra costs for the unemployed?

I'd have to ask my daughter for chapter and verse but in short UC is a lower sum of money than the collection of benefits it replaces. There have to be a while pile of posts from various places on social media lining tb secuo.

What exactly this £20 was supposed to do I have no idea, the amounts lost by some poor sods as a result of being switched, or stupidly conned into voluntarily switching in expectation of pandemic support and then finding you've been conned AND you can't go back to how you were run into many thousands of pounds a year in the cases made public by the BBC....

A starting point to explain who loses out

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/3897-esa-transfer-to-uc

It is claimed it hits those in receipt of in work disability benefits particularly hard
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>