Food production in the UK at risk of moving overseas, warns industry

Started by papasmurf, September 02, 2021, 06:54:29 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on September 02, 2021, 07:56:16 PM
This is code for we know that someone has to pay the HGV drivers and other staff more, but our members don't won't and want a bung from the government.
According to the link on driver shortage from the BBC, pay is not the major problem. Pay rises and bonuses to attract drivers back into work are frequently reported, and the link reports one driver claiming a 40% increase.   

The main gripe by drivers and the reasons for leaving and not recommending the job to others are reported as lack of overnight and rest facilities (as compared to those on mainland Europe), and the attitude of the public. 

I don't see JoG's argument on IR35. The likes of Uber drivers and Pimlico Plumbers have been clamouring to become employees to enjoy the benefits and have a boss look after HMRC collections. The only comment that could be construed as perhaps referring to that, reads:  The coronavirus pandemic, Brexit and tax changes have all contributed to a lack of qualified drivers. Industry bodies estimate there is a shortfall of about 100,000 workers...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on September 02, 2021, 10:26:26 PM
Relevant BBC report, well worth reading all of it:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58394903

Driver shortage: 'I got a big pay rise overnight'
By Lora Jones, Beth Timmins & Caroline Davies
Business reporters, BBC News

Published22 hours ago

The BBC spoke to some people working for smaller operators to find out what is it like to be a heavy goods vehicle (HGV) driver in the industry.

Tom Reddy has been driving lorries for more than 15 years and his pay was recently increased from £17.50 an hour to £24.50 - a 40% jump.

"I've never known anything like it," he told the BBC's Wake Up To Money programme. "But they could pay me £80,000 a year and it wouldn't be enough, I want to leave."

Mr Reddy says it is difficult to have a family life with the unsociable hours the job demands.

I read it all and fair play they only used the B word once so maybe the author is realising they'll be out of work soon when the licence fee is ditched .....

The thing I cannot understand is the BBC blaming "tax changes" by which they mean IR35.

In a law case brought by none other than Derry Irvine and Tony Blair in the 70s, way back before Blair wrote to Michael Foot to say how much he admired Marx, HMRC brought a case to court following a tax commissioner hearing.

It was supposed to prove once and for all that "self employed" lorry drivers (petrol tanker drivers in the case in mind) who drove company provided traction units painted in company livery, from place to place exactly as directed, when directed, along routes directed by the employer, while wearing uniforms provided by the employer at the employers expense, were in fact not remotely self employed persons in business on their own account but were in reality indistinguishable from employees of the same organisation.

Blair was such an ass hole he bungled the case in which he represented HMRC and the resulting judicial decision established FOREVER the case law that lorry drivers were in fact self employed. There is no way to eradicate that. I knew of it back in 1999, Andy White had all the paperwork from the case which he showed the PCG Consultative Committee myself included.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 02, 2021, 10:19:50 PM
Judging by the article, it is code for "Can we rejoin the EU and get some cheap labour?"
"Pretty please"
No, Germany also has no HGV drivers to spare.

Relevant BBC report, well worth reading all of it:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58394903

Driver shortage: 'I got a big pay rise overnight'
By Lora Jones, Beth Timmins & Caroline Davies
Business reporters, BBC News

Published22 hours ago

The BBC spoke to some people working for smaller operators to find out what is it like to be a heavy goods vehicle (HGV) driver in the industry.

Tom Reddy has been driving lorries for more than 15 years and his pay was recently increased from £17.50 an hour to £24.50 - a 40% jump.

"I've never known anything like it," he told the BBC's Wake Up To Money programme. "But they could pay me £80,000 a year and it wouldn't be enough, I want to leave."

Mr Reddy says it is difficult to have a family life with the unsociable hours the job demands.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

This is code for we know that someone has to pay the HGV drivers and other staff more, but our members don't won't and want a bung from the government.
Judging by the article, it is code for "Can we rejoin the EU and get some cheap labour?"
"Pretty please"
No, Germany also has no HGV drivers to spare.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

That won't help the driver shortage. They just aren't there to recruit.

cromwell

A point made in another thread,sadly no bugger is listening. :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on September 02, 2021, 06:54:29 PMBritish Retail Consortium
Quote from: papasmurf on September 02, 2021, 06:54:29 PM
If the government continues not to address this issues it is not going to be a happy Christmas:-
More at link:-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58425516

Published56 minutes ago

Food manufacturing in the UK is under such strain due to staff shortages that some production may have to move out of the country, a retail group has said.

Andrew Opie from the British Retail Consortium (BRC) said shortages of HGV drivers and other supply chain staff meant that the sector was "just on the edge of coping" right now.

He warned the Christmas period would be "incredibly challenging" in some areas.

Factories cannot recruit enough staff, he said, adding: "We are struggling."

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

If the government continues not to address this issues it is not going to be a happy Christmas:-
More at link:-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58425516

Published56 minutes ago

Food manufacturing in the UK is under such strain due to staff shortages that some production may have to move out of the country, a retail group has said.

Andrew Opie from the British Retail Consortium (BRC) said shortages of HGV drivers and other supply chain staff meant that the sector was "just on the edge of coping" right now.

He warned the Christmas period would be "incredibly challenging" in some areas.

Factories cannot recruit enough staff, he said, adding: "We are struggling."