Things that grind my gears (2)

Started by Borchester, September 04, 2021, 01:23:43 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

If I hear another **** telling me
It's code red
It's one second to midnight
It's a climate emergency
I'll take a leaf out of insulate ar***oles book and.........
invest in a wholesale purchase of superglue and glue their gobs shut 
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

What grinds my gears?

Watching the news and "It's been reported a man has attacked several people in a supermarket car park and the police have the area contained,so we'll go over to our reporter on the scene.......hi Lucy what more can you tell us?"

"Hi Rob its till a little tense here after a man attacked several people in the car park of the supermarket but the police say they have the area contained........."
Puke

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 21, 2021, 11:28:44 PM
Good job all the shelves are empty in Heston then!!

I would not know I live 280 miles away from Heston, and have not been there since 1972.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on September 21, 2021, 11:28:44 PM
Is that Charlton  or Blumenthal?
:) :)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 21, 2021, 02:18:33 PM
That really angers me, especially those with two trolleys loaded to breaking point.

srb7677

Quote from: Nigel on September 21, 2021, 02:15:53 PM
People who don't appear to be aware that they will have to pay when they get to the cash register in the supermarket.
As someone who sometimes works on a supermarket checkout I see it all. Some of our customers are almost legendary for the faffing about they seem to find necessary.

Pet hates include those who owe you something like £4.99 and instead of giving you the fiver you can clearly see in their wallet, they grab a load of change and start slowly counting through. Usually at a glance I can see in their hand that there is no way they have enough change, but it usually takes a couple of minutes of laboriously slow counting before they realise the same obvious fact, all the while long suffering customers behind are getting visibly impatient. Then I get given the fiver anyway.

Another pet hate is those who come to a checkout, unload, then decide they havent finished shopping. Sometimes you can be sat there for several minutes until the customer finally returns with a massive armful, keeping customers in the queue waiting and increasingly irritated. To be honest I no longer make waiting customers put up with that. If the customer buggers off to do more shopping having unloaded a basket or trolley, I start scanning it through. If they are not back by the time I have finished, I load it all into their trolley, packing it too if they have left bags. If they have still not returned by then I store the transaction and start serving the next customer. When the original customer returns with an armload I tell him or her that I could not keep other customers waiting but he or she is welcome to join the end of the queue. Sometimes such a customer will moan to high heaven or even put in complaints but when I explain what happened my managers support me. I know we all sometimes get to a checkout and realise we have forgotten something so quickly dash off. But if we are only fetching one thing we tend to be back in good time. And the checkout operative has a call button to ask another member of staff to fetch a product if customers don't want to dash back themselves. It is the occasional one who takes the piss by dashing off to fetch another 20 or 30 things who are the problem. I think it most unfair to make other customers in the queue wait for such types.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nigel on September 21, 2021, 02:15:53 PM
People who don't appear to be aware that they will have to pay when they get to the cash register in the supermarket.

That really angers me, especially those with two trolleys loaded to breaking point.

Nigel

papasmurf

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on September 14, 2021, 12:45:44 PM
Still, it is nice to know that for all his professed frugality, Pappy likes to patronise the areas more upmarket (and presumably Tory run)  eateries. :) :)

I would not go to any of the "upmarket" restaurants. They are far too expensive and not worth it. My wife and I can cook better food ourselves. (There is one local place to eat out, locally owned run and staffed by local young people, and reasonably priced and good quality.)
Other than that a trip to Smokey Joe's near Redruth, a transport café that should have a preservation order on it.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 14, 2021, 12:42:05 PM
1500 square miles in Cornwall but you profess to know all of it! Amazing.

There is plenty of publicly available official data and surveys down to voting district level I don't need to know it, just to spend some time looking it up.
It makes it easy to shoot the local Tory MP, the idiot in charge of Cornwall Tourism and the leader of Cornwall council down in flames.

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on September 14, 2021, 12:42:05 PM

Still, it is nice to know that for all his professed frugality, Pappy likes to patronise the areas more upmarket (and presumably Tory run)  eateries. :) :)
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 13, 2021, 10:07:37 AM
I am puzzled where resident clientele with a lot of money are in Cornwall, a lot of "high end" restaurants went tits up before the pandemic.

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on September 13, 2021, 11:49:03 AM

There is a lot of wealth in Cornwall, but little of it is generated locally or filters down to the locals since Cornwall is one of the lowest paid areas in the country. Most of the wealth down there is brough in from outside.

The other problem is most of the profit from tourism and hospitality goes out of the county.