Jersey under siege- The Fishing War continues..

Started by HallowedBrexit, September 04, 2021, 05:17:18 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: HDQQ on October 29, 2021, 11:50:44 AM
It's not the EU that's detaining British fishing boats, it's France - a sovereign nation. The EU works by agreement between its member states and it exists by their consent. As far as we're concerned, we're still going to be 'subservient' to Brussels but we'll no longer have any part in its decision making process.

Fishing disputes happened between EU member states while we were in it, but the EU played a part in resolving them. Now, though, the EU is likely to take France's side.

Anyway, the vessel was detained on suspicion of breaking regulations and the captain is to appear in court in France. If one breaks the rules, one can expect the consequences.
It's too early for the our government to be saying 'two can play at that game' but if French fishing vessels enter our fishing area illegally, presumably they risk being detained in the same way.
So the beeb in this link https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59100410 only say the French PM appears to say this or that,other sources (behind paywalls) say the letter to Von der liar says we must be punished to deter other members from leaving.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on October 29, 2021, 10:03:51 AM
The UK only has itself to blame for this - it's a problem of our own making. More specifically the blame should be laid at the feet of the politicians badmouthed the EU and conned sufficient people into voting leave.

But personally speaking - I never eat seafood so I don't care how expensive it becomes.

Rule Britannia!
Britannia rules the waves (within 12 miles of the coast)
What are you talking about?
The French vessels merely have to prove that they have fished our waters for the last 4 years. They knew this and failed to collect the AIS data so they can't get the permit. 
But we wouldn't expect anything less from you, support the EU right or wrong come what may. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Sampanviking on October 29, 2021, 02:43:31 PM
Now if only we had a fleet of Russian and Chinese warships sailing around the Channel Islands proclaiming the right of Freedom of Navigation and talking about standing up for the French against the Bullying and Assertive British.....
Come on Sampman  , we all know the Russians and Chinese are doing as they please with regard to testing the waters .  That though is another conversation 

Sampanviking

Now if only we had a fleet of Russian and Chinese warships sailing around the Channel Islands proclaiming the right of Freedom of Navigation and talking about standing up for the French against the Bullying and Assertive British.....

Streetwalker

Quote from: HDQQ on October 29, 2021, 11:50:44 AM
It's not the EU that's detaining British fishing boats, it's France - a sovereign nation. The EU works by agreement between its member states and it exists by their consent. As far as we're concerned, we're still going to be 'subservient' to Brussels but we'll no longer have any part in its decision making process.

Fishing disputes happened between EU member states while we were in it, but the EU played a part in resolving them. Now, though, the EU is likely to take France's side.

Anyway, the vessel was detained on suspicion of breaking regulations and the captain is to appear in court in France. If one breaks the rules, one can expect the consequences.
It's too early for the our government to be saying 'two can play at that game' but if French fishing vessels enter our fishing area illegally, presumably they risk being detained in the same way.
Its funny how the Frogs can detain a fishing trawler on suspicion of breaking the rules but are incapable of detaining a dingy full of illegal migrants who clearly are .

As far as Im concerned the EU and France in particular can do one until they have put their toys back in the pram .They like many in the UK seem unable to accept we are leaving their rotten union .

HDQQ

Quote from: cromwell on October 29, 2021, 10:39:05 AM
Of course it's  our fault quackers,how dare we vote to leave their wonderful institution,btw people were conned.....they were told they were joining a common market but then found their own parliaments and laws subservient to Brussels and voted to tell them to stuff it how undemocratic of them,ungrateful bastards too not wanting to see the project through.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

cromwell

Quote from: HDQQ on October 29, 2021, 10:03:51 AM
The UK only has itself to blame for this - it's a problem of our own making. More specifically the blame should be laid at the feet of the politicians badmouthed the EU and conned sufficient people into voting leave.

But personally speaking - I never eat seafood so I don't care how expensive it becomes.

Rule Britannia!
Britannia rules the waves (within 12 miles of the coast)
Of course it's  our fault quackers,how dare we vote to leave their wonderful institution,btw people were conned.....they were told they were joining a common market but then found their own parliaments and laws subservient to Brussels and voted to tell them to stuff it how undemocratic of them,ungrateful bastards too not wanting to see the project through.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

HDQQ

Rule Britannia!
Britannia rules the waves (within 12 miles of the coast)
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Barry

France have threatened to ban all seafood from the UK. The UK will tell France that it is contrary to the Withdrawal Agreement.
Macron is angry again.
† The end is nigh †

HallowedBrexit

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1486332/brexit-news-jersey-fishing-row-latest-france-uk-john-young-lord-frost

Thankfully Lord Frost is standing up for our fishermen:

Lord Frost, who supported Jersey ministers in the row has claimed "too many" in Europe had thought there would be no change in fishing arrangements for five-and-a-half years.

Speaking earlier this summer, he added: "We have the right to regulate our own waters in a totally different way, to licence fishing vessels and so on, and obviously getting used to that is at the root of some of the difficulty."

Lord Frost said he was sure the Jersey situation would "settle down" but made clear: "We don't choose gunboat diplomacy but obviously we were reacting to a demonstration that could have caused severe practical problems for Jersey, and it didn't cause any problems, and I like to think that our naval presence was part of that."