Jersey under siege- The Fishing War continues..

Started by HallowedBrexit, September 04, 2021, 05:17:18 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Nick on October 31, 2021, 06:34:58 PM
It will be the economy being shown to be doing well that will get votes, perceptions at this point mean nothing.
Good point. 
So isn't it surprising that so many people don't yet appear to be noticing the benefits of being residents of the fastest growing economy in the G7...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Well the OBR is staffed by ex civil servants not known for their enthusiasm for brexit their chairman  spent a lot of time at a French bank and the IMF.....just saying.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: patman post on October 31, 2021, 05:12:05 PM
But it's their perception, and it's perceptions that influence the outcomes of votes. And their perceptions are being informed by some substantial sources (from my link):

Almost twice as many voters now believe Brexit is having a negative effect on the UK economy as think it is benefiting the nation's finances, according to the latest Opinium poll for the Observer, carried out during budget week.

The survey comes after Richard Hughes, the chairman of the Office for Budget Responsibility, said his organisation calculated that the negative impact on GDP caused by the UK's exit from the EU was expected to be twice as great as that resulting from the pandemic...
It will be the economy being shown to be doing well that will get votes, perceptions at this point mean nothing. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

But it's their perception, and it's perceptions that influence the outcomes of votes. And their perceptions are being informed by some substantial sources (from my link):

Almost twice as many voters now believe Brexit is having a negative effect on the UK economy as think it is benefiting the nation's finances, according to the latest Opinium poll for the Observer, carried out during budget week.

The survey comes after Richard Hughes, the chairman of the Office for Budget Responsibility, said his organisation calculated that the negative impact on GDP caused by the UK's exit from the EU was expected to be twice as great as that resulting from the pandemic...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on October 31, 2021, 04:03:34 PM
With 44% of voters now believing Brexit is harming the economy it seems Macron could be drawing his data from the UK...

https://latestnewsindex.com/2021/10/30/brexit-is-harming-the-uk-economy-say-44-of-voters/

All that shows is that 44% are ill informed, the U.K. has the fastest growing economy in the G7. But I wouldn't expect you Europhiles to look at facts. 

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on October 30, 2021, 11:58:43 AM
I loved the bit where he has been quoted as saying that it is worse to leave than to stay. What an admission!
With 44% of voters now believing Brexit is harming the economy it seems Macron could be drawing his data from the UK...

https://latestnewsindex.com/2021/10/30/brexit-is-harming-the-uk-economy-say-44-of-voters/

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on October 30, 2021, 07:12:17 PM
So now Boris Johnson has gone to the top of the EU telling tales about France.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/30/brexit-fishing-row-uk-and-france-hold-last-ditch-talks-to-avert-chaos-at-ports

[highlight]A bit like making an insurance claim after you've terminated your policy.[/highlight]

"Sorry pal, can't help you. Oh . . . and best of luck with your trade deal with Easter Island, by the way!"
Not at all, it's like informing parents that their child is misbehaving, and for a union that is supposedly rule based, not many follow the rules, especially the bloody French. 

Your dislike of your own country is trait that I don't like and I would have thought you would have relocated to one of the 27 by now!

HallowedBrexit

Quote from: HDQQ on October 30, 2021, 11:06:01 AM
I'm not going to stop supporting the EU just because we've left. In the fishing dispute with France I don't know if the British boat was in the wrong or not, that's what the court case is about.

Boris Johnson was huffing and puffing about 'two can play at that game' and now he's the one asking the French to calm down. Emmanuel Macron's response is that the UK's credibility is on the line. I'd say the UK's credibility has been on the line since 2016.

The fact that the UK voted by a tiny majority to leave the EU doesn't stop other EU members and the wider world thinking we've gone nuts.

What you don't seem to understand, HDQQ, is that the gig is up. The British people won't be conned anymore, as they have seen the rotting heart at the core of the EU.
Our elites have sold their souls to the Brussels machinery and its unelected bureaucrats. Now that we have people like Lord Frost and Jacob Rees-Mogg standing up for us, they are quivering.
David Cameron was sure that we would vote Remain in hope of maintaining the status quo, yet at the day of the vote the country was shouting "Leave" in unison.

Look at what has been achieved since we left the Ponzi scheme:

- the North has been levelled up
- unprecedented investment in deprived areas such as Cornwall
- the most successful vaccine scheme in the world, augmented by test & trace
- a faster economic recovery than our European "friends" 
- a points based immigration system
- Global Britain retaking its seat at the top tables of the world

We have taken back control of our money, our laws and our borders. A new system of direct democracy is coming that will ensure that we, the people, get our way. 

And you won't be part of it.

cromwell

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/30/brexit-fishing-row-uk-and-france-hold-last-ditch-talks-to-avert-chaos-at-ports

A bit like making an insurance claim after you've terminated your policy.

"Sorry pal, can't help you. Oh . . . and best of luck with your trade deal with Easter Island, by the way!"
Oh dear how you hate your own country,Quisling Quacks your love of Brussels :P Union Flag

T00ts

I read that he had told the EU to stay out of it. It was Macron who went to them and begged that they support him. They refused I gather. I imagine he has a talent for hiding behind petticoats! 

HDQQ

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on October 30, 2021, 11:29:40 AM
Any thoughts on the French PM saying we must be punished for leaving and shown to be to deter others?

Dunno, but I am sure that it has nothing to do with the fact that the French presidential elections are less than six months away.

And no UK PM lost votes by telling the French to f**k off.

A storm in a teacup, but I suppose it will have to do until something better turns up.:)
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on October 30, 2021, 11:29:40 AM
Any thoughts on the French PM saying we must be punished for leaving and shown to be to deter others?
I loved the bit where he has been quoted as saying that it is worse to leave than to stay. What an admission!

cromwell

Quote from: HDQQ on October 30, 2021, 11:06:01 AM
I'm not going to stop supporting the EU just because we've left. In the fishing dispute with France I don't know if the British boat was in the wrong or not, that's what the court case is about.

Boris Johnson was huffing and puffing about 'two can play at that game' and now he's the one asking the French to calm down. Emmanuel Macron's response is that the UK's credibility is on the line. I'd say the UK's credibility has been on the line since 2016.

The fact that the UK voted by a tiny majority to leave the EU doesn't stop other EU members and the wider world thinking we've gone nuts.

HDQQ

Quote from: Nick on October 30, 2021, 12:01:01 AM
What are you talking about?
The French vessels merely have to prove that they have fished our waters for the last 4 years. They knew this and failed to collect the AIS data so they can't get the permit.
But we wouldn't expect anything less from you, support the EU right or wrong come what may.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!