General election, what general election?

Started by papasmurf, December 10, 2019, 12:45:46 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=8989 time=1575986762 user_id=54
You do seem to live in a very colourful world.

Not really just in a place where there are a lot of victims of the callous Tories.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Ciaphas

I imagine it depends on locale.

Labour have been canvassing on my street but the Conservatives don't bother because there are sufficient people in the wealthier areas of my constituency who'll vote conservative for them to win.

When they moved the constituency boundary in 2010 Labour went from routinely having a 7000+ lead over the Conservatives in three prior general elections to being behind them by 1500 votes, at the same time several areas were shunted into surrounding constituencies.

Some say this moved Labour voting areas out of the constituency giving the Conservatives. Looking at the numbers total votes went down by 3000, Conservative votes went up by 3000 and Labour votes went down 6000. Could be argued half the Labour losses went to the Conservatives and the other half were moved out the constituency. Minority parties don't do very well on my constituency.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=8998 time=1575989041 user_id=54
Looks like Cornwall is a done deal.

https://electionresults.parliament.uk/election/2017-06-08/results/Location/County/Cornwall">//https://electionresults.parliament.uk/election/2017-06-08/results/Location/County/Cornwall

What are you on about? Where I live the Tory majority is only 311 votes.

T00ts

Looks like Cornwall is a done deal.

https://electionresults.parliament.uk/election/2017-06-08/results/Location/County/Cornwall">//https://electionresults.parliament.uk/election/2017-06-08/results/Location/County/Cornwall

Churchill

He puts me off holidaying in Cornwall ever again, he makes it sound like a War Zone
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=8987 time=1575986377 user_id=89
Where I live labour voters are a rare as rocking horse poo and unicorns, the "opposition," likely to throw a brick or "deck" a Tory canvasser are victims of the Tories.

You do seem to live in a very colourful world.

papasmurf

Quote from: Churchill post_id=8986 time=1575986166 user_id=69
I think the latter

Where I live labour voters are a rare as rocking horse poo and unicorns, the "opposition," likely to throw a brick or "deck" a Tory canvasser are victims of the Tories.

Churchill

Quote from: T00ts post_id=8968 time=1575984348 user_id=54
I have had leaflets but no visitors. I have noticed particularly a total lack of window signs. Is that a numb electorate or one fearful to divulge their patronage in case of problems from those in opposition?

I think the latter
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=8973 time=1575984608 user_id=51
I think the latter.

There is palpable anger amongst people. I don't feel that people are numb, in fact I expect a big turnout, despite the time of year.

Putting any party poster in a window can attract bricks. Why advertise how you are voting?

Where I live a Tory poster would attract bricks due to the cuts and hostile environments form the Tory government.

Churchill

My recycle bin was emptied yesterday is it filling up again rapidly with more flipping Political Leaflets  :rant:

Barry

Quote from: T00ts post_id=8968 time=1575984348 user_id=54
I have had leaflets but no visitors. I have noticed particularly a total lack of window signs. Is that a numb electorate or one fearful to divulge their patronage in case of problems from those in opposition?

I think the latter.

There is palpable anger amongst people. I don't feel that people are numb, in fact I expect a big turnout, despite the time of year.

Putting any party poster in a window can attract bricks. Why advertise how you are voting?
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Barry

Same here really, and I live on the edge of the Birmingham conurbation. I've had 4 leaflets from Conservatives.

One leaflet from the "lady" Labour candidate who lives in London.

One leaflet from an independent Brexit candidate who is standing in the next constituency. His leaflet was delivered in error. No visits from anyone in person.

There have been some local hustings, but not been to those, due to a bout of bronchitis mostly keeping me at home.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Apart from the wall to wall general election in the media/press, locally there is next to no sign of a general election.

I have seen three posters in windows, no Tory, two Lib-Dems, one Labour, there has been no canvassers from any party, and the postman has delivered party based leaflets/communications.