Main Menu

New October lockdown

Started by Barry, September 06, 2021, 10:27:31 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Thats the spirit if we all admit what great things the vaccine has done and how facemasks have saved the world, even if we know it is hogwash, we won't need another lockdown?
Uh oh.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/covid-winter-plan-how-the-rules-will-change-on-vaccine-passports-travel-and-face-masks/ar-AAOpK2a?ocid=msedgntp
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borchester

Quote from: Sheepy on September 08, 2021, 01:42:37 PM
I was thinking as I haven't seen a postman in the street for a couple of days, would that be the fault of Brexit like the lorry drivers?
I think it might well be.

You may well be right. That said, we have a new post lady and I saw her the other day sitting on my wall and rubbing her feet. She had probably been shaking the sand out of her shoes on account of being one of Joe Biden's refugees. But she is a jolly soul and as a Muslim won't expect a bottle of whiskey at Christmas, so that is all to the good.

We do appear to be on the third wave of the flu and the weekly fatality rate is increasing on an average of 9%. That may not seem much, but it is compounded, which means that in fifteen weeks the number of dead over a seven day period has increased by a factor of nineteen.

Never mind a lock down next month. At this rate come Christmas Carols from Kings will be replaced by Chopin's Funeral March from anywhere with a live pianist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-9wXQpzESo
Algerie Francais !

Scott777

Quote from: patman post on September 10, 2021, 01:12:19 PM
The excusing niceties of the anti-lockdowner and anti-vaxxer lobbies of "it only shortened the life an elderly/frail/already-sick" seem to be losing currency...
And being replaced with: lots of deaths caused by lack of treatment for other illness + wrongly used ventilators + putting people in care homes + overdose of Midazolam.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 08, 2021, 05:44:36 PM

I think this is particularly so when UNLIKE the ONS figures which actually make some attempt to connect the death to the disease, in the same way that death certificates list contributory factors, the media use the insane measure that says you died OF Covid if run over by a bus while distraught at receiving your positive test result
I thought the "died with" clarification is now generally accepted, unless "died of" is beyond dispute. 

The excusing niceties of the anti-lockdowner and anti-vaxxer lobbies of "it only shortened the life an elderly/frail/already-sick" seem to be losing currency...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on September 07, 2021, 09:11:46 PM
Deaths rise as a function of that, because of each million people currently testing positive in a 28 day period, some are going to die

I think this is particularly so when UNLIKE the ONS figures which actually make some attempt to connect the death to the disease, in the same way that death certificates list contributory factors, the media use the insane measure that says you died OF Covid if run over by a bus while distraught at receiving your positive test result
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

I was thinking as I haven't seen a postman in the street for a couple of days, would that be the fault of Brexit like the lorry drivers?
I think it might well be.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Barry

You put a link to a cult website which is definitely "quoting a website".
Maybe we need a poll.

There's no denying the infections are very slowly rising in the UK as a whole. Deaths rise as a function of that, because of each million people currently testing positive in a 28 day period, some are going to die.
Eventually this virus will run out of people to infect, after making a million a month immune.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: Barry on September 07, 2021, 04:59:40 PM
I'm not sure that quoting a website belonging to a crazy cult who are neither Christians or Scientists is a good idea, Pat.
A new low for you.

However, the government have now issued a statement which says they are not considering a lockdown in October, which pretty much confirms that there will be.  :P
I've not quoted anyone.   

But since you draw attention to my reference, I'd admit I find the Christian Science Monitor coverage of Covid news and reports of reactions more enlightening and comprehensive than the usual unwavering pro and anti stances of whatever faction is holding court — it's some of the movement's adherents prayer-only option I don't go along with...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 07, 2021, 05:22:10 PM
Just looking at the current infection rates for The Lizard and it is 197.3 per 100k.

That does not apply to all of Cornwall, some areas got to 1000/100000.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on September 07, 2021, 07:29:44 AMIt would not surprise me latest from Cornwall Council:-
Just looking at the current infection rates for The Lizard and it is 197.3 per 100k.
Which means out of 1000 people 998 do not have the virus. Fair odds I'd say. Its 353.2 where I live and everyone seems pretty healthy.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

I'm not sure that quoting a website belonging to a crazy cult who are neither Christians or Scientists is a good idea, Pat.
A new low for you.

However, the government have now issued a statement which says they are not considering a lockdown in October, which pretty much confirms that there will be.  :P
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on September 07, 2021, 09:44:36 AM
It has long been the tradition in private schools to take a 2 week half term only in the Autumn term purely to give pupils the chance to get over the initial onslaught of colds and halt the infections through the school. If the State sector was not so blinkered then it would be a good move if they all followed suit. It certainly seems to work.
Sounds like a plan.   

So does installing efficient ventillation, open windows, installing hand sanitising stations, frequent surface cleaning, etc. All these have been discussed and generally accepted as sound ideas. And none appear to be at odds with a Christian Science approach. But it seems few schools have been officially informed of these proposals, so leaving them to devise their own Covid regimes... 

https://www.christianscience.com/press-room/a-christian-science-perspective-on-vaccination-and-public-health

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on September 06, 2021, 10:27:31 PM
We've not had one for a little while now.
Politics today reckons a new lockdown is being considered for October.
Never trust a Tory and certainly not Boris, who said the roadmap was irreversible.
Can't remember the last time this excuse for a PM told the truth.

It has long been the tradition in private schools to take a 2 week half term only in the Autumn term purely to give pupils the chance to get over the initial onslaught of colds and halt the infections through the school. If the State sector was not so blinkered then it would be a good move if they all followed suit. It certainly seems to work.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 06, 2021, 10:27:31 PM
Never trust a Tory and certainly not Boris, who said the roadmap was irreversible.

It would not surprise me latest from Cornwall Council:-

https://email.bt.com/mail/index-rui.jsp?v=2.20.2#app/mail

Hello
Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly along with Devon, Torbay and Plymouth have been designated an Enhanced Response Area (ERA) for the next 4 weeks to help bring our Covid case numbers down.
We encourage you to be cautious and continue following public health advice: wear a face covering in busy or enclosed spaces and on public transport (unless you are exempt), wash your hands or use hand sanitiser regularly, and if you haven't already, please take up the offer of a vaccine as soon as possible.
If you are meeting with people please try and meet outside if you can, or make sure any indoor space is well ventilated.
For support with your mental health please visit http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/mentalhealth
Kind regards
Public Health

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

† The end is nigh †