Social care: What would a National Insurance rise mean for me?

Started by GBNews, September 07, 2021, 07:08:30 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on September 08, 2021, 10:59:18 AM
It's definitely best to drop dead, sudden like.

Yes, but not until at least 2063. I intend to spend as long retired as I spent in work, so I need to stay alive for another forty two years.

Maybe we should have a nation cheer up you miserable bastards campaign. We could start by putting up posters saying, Do you wonder if Life is worth living? Then try the alternative!
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on September 08, 2021, 10:39:51 AM
Makes sense Pappy, particularly since in the current state of the market you should get handsome price for that place of yours.

Frankly the state of residential/nursing homes locally, my best option is suicide, (and I am not joking.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on September 08, 2021, 07:41:49 AM
Apparently the accommodation costs of residential care are not covered so people will still end up having to  sell their homes.
It's definitely best to drop dead, sudden like.
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on September 08, 2021, 07:41:49 AM
Apparently the accommodation costs of residential care are not covered so people will still end up having to  sell their homes.

Makes sense Pappy, particularly since in the current state of the market you should get handsome price for that place of yours.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on September 07, 2021, 06:45:16 PM
Well you cough up then since you made a killing on your house. :P

??

I am a retired Tory and think everyone should pay their fair share to keep me alive.

Except me of course.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on September 07, 2021, 07:09:36 PM
Tories have the reputation of a low-tax party, so if they increase taxes, most of the electorate will probably think times are serious they have no choice. If Labour calls for increased taxes the electorate probably think that's Labour's solution to everything...

Forty years ago, maybe.

Cameron had a totally different attitude, low tax for his pals in the EU on their special parliamentary rates, quite another for you plebs.

Party of Low Tax ?

Don't make me laugh.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on September 07, 2021, 10:14:34 AM
As per usual speculation before an official announcement wastes everyone's time.
In any case just raising NI contributions will not solve the problems, which have been kicked into the long grass for decades  by successive governments.

What is being mentioned is that only 50% of care costs involve people over the pensions age.
The other problem is care and the NHS should be merged in order to address bed blocking in hospitals.
A blocked bed in a hospital is far more expensive than  a care home and care  at home during recovery is cheaper still.

Agreed . Though I would say we either have an NHS that covers the needs of everyone or we feck it off and privatise the lot . I dont see the difference between caring for an 80 year old with a dodgy ticker and one with a dodgy brain .

patman post

Quote from: Barry on September 07, 2021, 10:01:22 AM
This is breaking an election promise, of course. I hadn't realised that the rich start to pay less, once over £50,000 p.a. which isn't really that rich. However, if they want to raise more in treasury income, perhaps they should make it 12% for all income above £9564, or alternatively put up income tax. Then the whole population would be paying for social care, not just those in work.

It's difficult to see what is happening as being any way fair. If you say that there are special circumstances, well, there are always special circumstances when it suits the government to change their promises into lies.
Tories have the reputation of a low-tax party, so if they increase taxes, most of the electorate will probably think times are serious they have no choice. If Labour calls for increased taxes the electorate probably think that's Labour's solution to everything...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on September 07, 2021, 05:01:03 PM
No. The problem is us. We want to live long and stay healthy but don't want to pay for it.
Well you cough up then since you made a killing on your house. :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on September 07, 2021, 10:30:02 AM
Yes that is correct this has been a ticking timebomb ignored,just like the pension issue.

The problem with politicians who view short term because they want to bgve popular.

No. The problem is us. We want to live long and stay healthy but don't want to pay for it.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on September 07, 2021, 10:14:34 AM
As per usual speculation before an official announcement wastes everyone's time.
In any case just raising NI contributions will not solve the problems, which have been kicked into the long grass for decades  by successive governments.

What is being mentioned is that only 50% of care costs involve people over the pensions age.
The other problem is care and the NHS should be merged in order to address bed blocking in hospitals.
A blocked bed in a hospital is far more expensive than  a care home and care  at home during recovery is cheaper still.
Yes that is correct this has been a ticking timebomb ignored,just like the pension issue.

The problem with politicians who view short term because they want to be popular.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Barry

This is breaking an election promise, of course. I hadn't realised that the rich start to pay less, once over £50,000 p.a. which isn't really that rich. However, if they want to raise more in treasury income, perhaps they should make it 12% for all income above £9564, or alternatively put up income tax. Then the whole population would be paying for social care, not just those in work.

It's difficult to see what is happening as being any way fair. If you say that there are special circumstances, well, there are always special circumstances when it suits the government to change their promises into lies.
† The end is nigh †

GBNews

Social care: What would a National Insurance rise mean for me?

The government could raise National Insurance to help pay for social care in England.

Source: Social care: What would a National Insurance rise mean for me?