Do you buy newspapers?

Started by Borchester, September 08, 2021, 12:26:44 PM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

Every time I went to buy a newspaper, Rupert Murdoch got there first, so I gave up!!!  Dancing
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

srb7677

I very rarely buy a newspaper. On the rare occasions that I do, it tends to be the i. It is the only one that goes in for reporting unvarnished facts and allowing the reader to make up his or her own mind. It has comment pages with invited columnists stating their opinions about things, but you are free to either read or ignore that.

All the other newspapers, even the minority which are closer to my side of the political fence, constantly put their own spin on everything they report. Rather than simply reporting the news - and some can be very selective about what they report - they are all more focussed upon trying to influence what I think about the news.

I particularly refuse to allow wealthy oligarchs to tell me what to think, as if their interests are in any way aligned with mine.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

Please reply, but bear in mind I had to Google to see who was at the top of the league and my knowledge of football is limited to Geoff Hurst and a hat trick in 1966.  :P
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on September 08, 2021, 07:27:59 PM
Well TBH SW even when the blues win I can't be bothered reading the crap so called sports writers churn out,same with commentary on the box and the pundits,best turned down.

Well yes in the case of your lot there is not much more that can be said , victories in this part of London are still quite rare though and the write ups original  :) 

I may reply to Barry on Saturday night 

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 08, 2021, 07:14:44 PM
With the web news being almost instant and newspapers generally being yesterdays news there isnt much point .

I do however like the feel of paper and  the sports pages on a Monday morning with views on the weekends action . So yes on a Monday but only if Palace have had a result  ;)
Well TBH SW even when the blues win I can't be bothered reading the crap so called sports writers churn out,same with commentary on the box and the pundits,best turned down.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

I bet the newspaper printers wished you supported Spurs.  ;D
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

With the web news being almost instant and newspapers generally being yesterdays news there isnt much point .

I do however like the feel of paper and  the sports pages on a Monday morning with views on the weekends action . So yes on a Monday but only if Palace have had a result  ;)

cromwell

Not bought a paper for a good while,why would you when you can get want online.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on September 08, 2021, 03:28:03 PM
I pay the Telegraph about £8 a month for the privilege of reading their articles online. The most interesting stuff is the simpleton crossword and the Sudoku puzzle.
I have not touched a newsprint paper for years, though I have seen them near the checkouts in supermarkets. I think they probably send most of them back.

I don't even bother paying that much

It's a shame in a way.

Years ago I would buy a newspaper when on holiday, or when going anywhere by train (I still try to get a paper, even a free one) when travelling by train because being on holiday, or on a train, meant I was isolated and disconnected from work, and therefore had the luxury of time to read one.

These days my paperwhite kindle stands in as reading matter for me - which reminds me I must load it up with books for next week

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

I pay the Telegraph about £8 a month for the privilege of reading their articles online. The most interesting stuff is the simpleton crossword and the Sudoku puzzle.
I have not touched a newsprint paper for years, though I have seen them near the checkouts in supermarkets. I think they probably send most of them back.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

I have not purchased a "news" paper for nearly 40 years now, because when it comes to the British Press news coupled with paper is an oxymoron.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

I usually buy the Sunday Times for the Culture section. That way I can read the book reviews and thus avoid reading, and more to the point, actually buying them.

Most of the news seems to be about some black lass' struggle against racism and climate change while suffering from the Peking Pox, which is fair enough but it tends to be a bit repetitious so I don't bother reading up on it. To my way of thinking if someone declares World War III, one of my neighbours is bound to tell me about it, so there is no point in wasting money on a news paper.

How about you guys?
Algerie Francais !