It is now going to get very dangerous out on the roads.

Started by papasmurf, September 08, 2021, 05:11:18 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: patman post on September 28, 2021, 03:15:58 PM
I doubt EU (and EFTA) drivers are less skilled than UK drivers. Until recently, they both had to adhere to common standards. Why would the UK break its own rules on skills and competence now? 

In any case, will any drivers come here to work just for a couple of months after being driven out by Brexit...?
Which says you are either dumb as a rock or still under the impression everyone else is. I am betting on the first part.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

patman post

Quote from: Nick on September 28, 2021, 02:56:35 PM
It was allowing Less skilled, cheap EU drivers to do the work that has driven down wages and caused this mess. Maybe now this situation will get them back up.
I doubt EU (and EFTA) drivers are less skilled than UK drivers. Until recently, they both had to adhere to common standards. Why would the UK break its own rules on skills and competence now? 

In any case, will any drivers come here to work just for a couple of months after being driven out by Brexit...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

It was allowing Less skilled, cheap EU drivers to do the work that has driven down wages and caused this mess. Maybe now this situation will get them back up.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

My guess is that only drivers who are qualified to acceptable standards will be allowed. And training and qualification could be outsourced more. As some organisations are already able to handle training and qualifying, maybe they could be encouraged to expand that activity...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

HDQQ

Now the government is relaxing visa rules so that foreign drivers can come here to relieve the HGV driver shortage that has been caused partly by Brexit. But will any of the Polish or Romanian drivers want to come back here or will the vacancies be filled by drivers from further afield where driving standards might be a lot lower?
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Barry

Thread closed pending moderation

EDIT
Thread reopened.
If anyone wishes to add to the thread please note it is about changes to HGV driver training.
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on September 11, 2021, 04:40:11 PM
One thing I have noticed about him. He comes across as all nicey nicey Mr caring left winger until the issues of immigration or crime come up, at which point he morphs into a modern day Genghis Khan.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him advocating machine gun nests all along the coast line, with attack helicopters in the channel on search and destroy missions against dinghies. I can actually remember him advocating the machine gunning of rioters, Amritsar Massacre style.

I think few  political organisations would feel comfortable with him as a member. The latter attitudes would repulse the left, whilst his left wing views in other areas would repulse the right.
Moderator Notice
Deleted by Barry

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

srb7677

Quote from: Thomas on September 11, 2021, 01:35:50 PM
...but you can generally make a coherent argument as to why you think that and put forth a solution like a corbyn government.

Smurf can do neither , and running around screaming tory bad is all he knows , it turns people off  , and if its all you have to offer then the voting public wont listen.

its all part of whats  wrong in politics today.
One thing I have noticed about him. He comes across as all nicey nicey Mr caring left winger until the issues of immigration or crime come up, at which point he morphs into a modern day Genghis Khan.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him advocating machine gun nests all along the coast line, with attack helicopters in the channel on search and destroy missions against dinghies. I can actually remember him advocating the machine gunning of rioters, Amritsar Massacre style.

I think few  political organisations would feel comfortable with him as a member. The latter attitudes would repulse the left, whilst his left wing views in other areas would repulse the right.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Thomas

Quote from: srb7677 on September 11, 2021, 01:27:51 PM
I can sympathise with that.

...but you can generally make a coherent argument as to why you think that and put forth a solution like a corbyn government.

Smurf can do neither , and running around screaming tory bad is all he knows , it turns people off  , and if its all you have to offer then the voting public wont listen.

its all part of whats  wrong in politics today.

srb7677

Quote from: Thomas on September 11, 2021, 11:57:38 AMIn short he loves......blaming the worlds ills on the tories , who....are at the root of all evil.
I can sympathise with that.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Thomas

Quote from: Nick on September 11, 2021, 11:44:40 AM
The roads are certainly tight but my point being it isn't much different than it has always been. Certainly not like a scene out of Fast and Furious crossed with Day of the Dead as Pappy tries to paint it.

you should know by now nick pappy loves to exaggerate everything and anything. In short he loves a good moan , and then blaming the worlds ills on the tories , who according to pappy are at the root of all evil.

Nick

Quote from: Barry on September 09, 2021, 10:43:37 AM
Partly, but the Cornish roads are more hazardous than many. The pixies never made them wide enough and they can't be bothered to cut back the hedgerows. Driving an HGV down there must be a crap job.

The roads are certainly tight but my point being it isn't much different than it has always been. Certainly not like a scene out of Fast and Furious crossed with Day of the Dead as Pappy tries to paint it.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on September 09, 2021, 10:43:37 AM
Partly, but the Cornish roads are more hazardous than many. The pixies never made them wide enough and they can't be bothered to cut back the hedgerows. Driving an HGV down there must be a crap job.

Taking a seven and a half tonner to goonhilly was a bloody nightmare. Maybe Cornwall should only allow Cornish hgv drivers ?
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Quote from: Nick on September 09, 2021, 08:59:15 AM
No it's not, it's all in your head.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 09, 2021, 07:29:56 AM
Add the bad tourist drivers to the bad local drivers and here in Cornwall it is bloody dangerous. I await the statistics for this year with interest.

No it's not, it's all in your head.