Assisted dying - Lord Carey

Started by T00ts, September 09, 2021, 08:53:08 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on September 09, 2021, 02:02:30 PM
No it does not.
Otherwise we couldn't kill a wasp.
Thou shalt not kill clearly means thou shalt not murder another human being. Helping them shuffle off the mortal coil when they are hopelessly disease ridden, with their consent, does not come close. That's why your views are radical (dictionary: relating to or affecting the fundamental nature of something; far-reaching or thorough). You believe they have to die naturally, whatever that is.

I believe that there is a very big difference between you or I deciding that at a given time on a given day someone should end their life - yes. I have already posted that everyone should be given every care and relief that is plausible  but to determine the end of our own or someone else's life is to deny that God has His role in our existence. He has insight into our souls while we tend to focus on the body, He is a far better judge of when that soul is properly ready to pass into the next world. Belief in God and Jesus Christ demands total obedience - a dirty word in the world today - it is the most difficult expectation of all in this life and we all fail, but that expectation exists and secular demands for control over the end of the most sacred thing that we have been gifted, our very lives, is to deny God's role in that existence. How can that be right?

Where does it say in Scripture that we are allowed to take God's word and mould it to suit ourselves? We cannot be half in and half out.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on September 09, 2021, 11:54:58 AMSo 'Thou shalt not kill' applies.
No it does not.
Otherwise we couldn't kill a wasp.
Thou shalt not kill clearly means thou shalt not murder another human being. Helping them shuffle off the mortal coil when they are hopelessly disease ridden, with their consent, does not come close. That's why your views are radical (dictionary: relating to or affecting the fundamental nature of something; far-reaching or thorough). You believe they have to die naturally, whatever that is.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on September 09, 2021, 12:13:42 PM
Well T00ts as you say you believe God decides,that's great but others either don't believe or want to excercise their own beliefs,personal choice with safeguards is what is required.

I agree that it is the most difficult decision of all. Let's hope that it remains the individual's choice.

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on September 09, 2021, 11:54:58 AM
Are they radical? Believing in free will means that we can decide whatever we wish but a belief in God as all powerful and our Eternal Judge and Jesus Christ our Saviour suggests to me that the rules laid down are important. So 'Thou shalt not kill' applies. Having said that I don't agree with artificially prolonging life either. Of course pain etc should be alleviated as much as possible but for me God decides when we are finally ready to be called home. He is not just hearing our body but our Spirit. When we take everything onto ourselves we deny Him.
My biggest worry is that laws such as this debase life. Not for all of course, but there is a tendency for some to abuse any laws and this opens yet another Pandora's box that we may not be able to close if they go ahead and for me society has opened enough Pandora's boxes already..

Your reference to driving as an example of an activity that could be life threatening doesn't apply. Few intend suicide or murder when they crash and again it is their choice and will be judged accordingly when the time comes. The rest are accidents caused by all sorts of circumstances. No I wouldn't stop those activities. To live without danger is not to live at all.
Well T00ts as you say you believe God decides,that's great but others either don't believe or want to excercise their own beliefs,personal choice with safeguards is what is required.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on September 09, 2021, 10:41:02 AM
I know your thoughts on this are quite radical.
I'm with the 82%, however, as they say, the devil is in the detail. It needs to be carefully regulated to prevent criminal behaviour.
And I mean grabbing someone's assets after changing the will, that type of thing.
When my father died of cancer aged 86, I was more than happy that the NHS gave him the right amount of morphine at the end.

Now I know that you will say all our days are numbered. I agree.
Factored into that is that we all meet our deaths in different ways. Would you stop people driving, for example, because it might shorten their days, whilst having the false impression that God had expected them to live longer?

Are they radical? Believing in free will means that we can decide whatever we wish but a belief in God as all powerful and our Eternal Judge and Jesus Christ our Saviour suggests to me that the rules laid down are important. So 'Thou shalt not kill' applies. Having said that I don't agree with artificially prolonging life either. Of course pain etc should be alleviated as much as possible but for me God decides when we are finally ready to be called home. He is not just hearing our body but our Spirit. When we take everything onto ourselves we deny Him.
My biggest worry is that laws such as this debase life. Not for all of course, but there is a tendency for some to abuse any laws and this opens yet another Pandora's box that we may not be able to close if they go ahead and for me society has opened enough Pandora's boxes already..

Your reference to driving as an example of an activity that could be life threatening doesn't apply. Few intend suicide or murder when they crash and again it is their choice and will be judged accordingly when the time comes. The rest are accidents caused by all sorts of circumstances. No I wouldn't stop those activities. To live without danger is not to live at all.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on September 09, 2021, 08:53:08 AM
This morning I find that former Archbishop of Canterbury Carey is recommending that we legalise assisted dying. Is this another nail in the C of E coffin or as the article claims do 82% of people both religious and not agree with him?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9971621/Former-Archbishop-Canterbury-Lord-Carey-argues-assisted-dying-legalised.html#comments

Imagine yourself or a loved one in their last weeks. What would be your decision?

Been there twice and bloody nearly there myself in Jan when the mini stroke hit and I didn't knew what would happen next

Having seen the sheer f**king agony both my parents were left in for weeks I'd have definitely intervened. I hope I can find someone to do the deed when my turn comes.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

I know your thoughts on this are quite radical.
I'm with the 82%, however, as they say, the devil is in the detail. It needs to be carefully regulated to prevent criminal behaviour.
And I mean grabbing someone's assets after changing the will, that type of thing.
When my father died of cancer aged 86, I was more than happy that the NHS gave him the right amount of morphine at the end.

Now I know that you will say all our days are numbered. I agree.
Factored into that is that we all meet our deaths in different ways. Would you stop people driving, for example, because it might shorten their days, whilst having the false impression that God had expected them to live longer?
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

This morning I find that former Archbishop of Canterbury Carey is recommending that we legalise assisted dying. Is this another nail in the C of E coffin or as the article claims do 82% of people both religious and not agree with him?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9971621/Former-Archbishop-Canterbury-Lord-Carey-argues-assisted-dying-legalised.html#comments

Imagine yourself or a loved one in their last weeks. What would be your decision?