Main Menu

Ancestral DNA

Started by papasmurf, December 11, 2019, 01:14:04 PM

« previous - next »

Churchill

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=9428 time=1576169258 user_id=74
So was my grandfather. He was a cabinet maker and ran his own business. We even have a stamp with our family name on it which was stamped on the things he built. One wonders if any of these cabinets still exist!

You may find him on line if he had any sales catalogues produced or even his work up for sale attributed to him
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

papasmurf

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=9428 time=1576169258 user_id=74
So was my grandfather. He was a cabinet maker and ran his own business. We even have a stamp with our family name on it which was stamped on the things he built. One wonders if any of these cabinets still exist!

I expect some of those cabinets do exist. Unfortunately the only way I could identify anything made buy my father and my Uncle is I have the tools that made them, and there would be distinctive tool marks.

My wooden armchair made by my father is probably worth a lot of money now.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=9155 time=1576073265 user_id=89
My family used to be charcoal burners and rustic furniture makers. That involved connections with the Hampden estate which goes back before the Norman invasion.

<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=9342 time=1576152593 user_id=89
Doesn't bother me in the least.  I was amused when a rabid female BNP supporter tried to sue the company who did a DNA test at her request and she turned out not to be the member of the  "Aryan Race" she thought.

Clearly the lass is not into the history of the abolitionist movement.

In 1772 Granville Sharp won a court case that meant that a black slave could not returned to the West Indies. Due to a splendid legal cock up it was believed that the judgement meant that all black slaves in the UK were thus free. Unfortunately it also meant that if they left the UK they would be once again enslaved, which meant that possibly tens of thousands of blacks were stranded in the UK.

Scroll forward a couple of hundred years and the UK does not have any sizeable coloured communities until the mass migrations of the 1950s.

So what happened to the black population? My belief is that two hundred years of cheerful inter racial rumpy pumpy removed the melanin, but not the DNA.

:D  :D
Algerie Francais !

Churchill

<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=9382 time=1576163827 user_id=99
Which company is that?

I am not telling you.

Nalaar

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=9361 time=1576158373 user_id=89
There was no such agreement with the company I am using. The only way I will be able to access the result is online with a reference number.

My name is nowhere on the sample container or on the box I posted it in.

Which company is that?
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell post_id=9356 time=1576157710 user_id=48
Only got back to the 16th century,found a few skeletons in the cupboard along the way bit of fun and I suspect foreign blood  :o  but who cares?

Not me ;)

One of my ancestors on my mothers side was involved in a big financial scandal in America in the 1800s and had to leave America before he was tarred and feathered and/or lynched. He went to the Bahamas and set up a bank currently much used by tax-evaders.

There is a suspicion one of my (now dead,) uncles beheaded some Japanese soldiers in Burma, but I have as yet not found the photos.

Churchill

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=9359 time=1576158049 user_id=99
Companies are great having security breaches/data stolen for a start.

Also the law is very grey on where ownership of the data lies, popular company ancestry.com requires that you license your DNA to them, which they can share with 3rd parties etc.

There is no 100% guarantees on any security system being it a Bank Vault or Computerised Data Base, if you chose to authorise a Ancestry Companies to pass on your DNA problem that is your decision

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=9359 time=1576158049 user_id=99

Also the law is very grey on where ownership of the data lies, popular company ancestry.com requires that you license your DNA to them, which they can share with 3rd parties etc.

There was no such agreement with the company I am using. The only way I will be able to access the result is online with a reference number.

My name is nowhere on the sample container or on the box I posted it in.

Nalaar

Don't believe everything you think.

Churchill

Exactly one cannot change history good or bad or our individual past

cromwell

Only got back to the 16th century,found a few skeletons in the cupboard along the way bit of fun and I suspect foreign blood  :o  but who cares?

Not me ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Churchill

It is a  slim possibilty but anyone who did sell on your DNA Profile would be committing an offence for very little return

papasmurf

Quote from: Churchill post_id=9350 time=1576154593 user_id=69
Why what can they do with it ?

A medical or life insurance company could refuse cover.