You populists are insane

Started by Sheepy, September 13, 2021, 01:16:26 PM

« previous - next »

morayloon

Quote from: Red Rackham on November 11, 2022, 03:06:32 AM
No, Ireland is governed from Belgium.

Ireland is an Independent country which chooses to be part of a voluntary union of States. The shared sovereignty is minimal. Individual states can veto proposed policies or form alliances to get the unwanted policy stopped in its tracks. The UK and Denmark negotiated opt-outs, with regard to use of the euro and Schengen, which shows the organisation is flexible.

patman post

Quote from: Red Rackham on November 10, 2022, 07:19:41 PM
I agree, I like the look of Reform, and I like Richard Tice, with one huge proviso. He is dead keen on PR and I am 100% dead against it. I'm a member of the Conservative party, sadly the party is infested with centrists, which is why I considered voting for Reform. But what's putting me off is Richard Tice being so keen on PR.
I don't support Reform — look at how its tax philosophy played out when Truss tried it on. And I'm not a supporter of any PR system I've seen suggested so far. 

Currently, voters know their MP will be selected from an identified group that they have been able to scrutinise and question. Voters know it's the same for all MPs, and they can vote for the party or person as they wish.

Allocating MPs from lists of people not individually voted for by voters, but because of their position on a party register lessens, or even removes, voter-candidate relationship.

I'm not against coalition/cooperative administrations in principle, and I think a system of assigning administration positions according to the number of seats won could be effective — the main point being that each MP will have been individually won their seat...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Quote from: Nick on November 10, 2022, 08:27:59 PM
Obama was president but he could do nothing cause the Democrats did not control legislation. He could not make good any of his manifesto promises. PR would give us the exact lame Duck.
And how has an 80 seat majority worked out this year, Nick?
PR can produce outright wins for a party. However, it is quite likely to produce a more cooperative government, possibly sharing power.
That could be a moderating influence which is not a bad thing.
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Red Rackham

Quote from: Barry on November 10, 2022, 08:04:05 PM
What has Obama got to do with PR?
Ireland have a functioning government, don't they?
No, Ireland is governed from Belgium.

Nick

Quote from: Barry on November 10, 2022, 08:04:05 PM
Obama was president but he could do nothing cause the Democrats did not control legislation. He could not make good any of his manifesto promises. PR would give us the exact lame Duck. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: Barry on November 10, 2022, 07:39:15 PM
That doesn't put me off. I think I have always backed PR by party list, which would make almost every vote count. I know it presents some difficulties regarding local representation, but I think it is more democratic than FPTP.
So I'll back Tice and Reform if he puts up people at the next election. Knowing that the FPTP system will likely be highly prejudicial to the party.
Don't agree. Obama was useless because he couldn't get anything passed, look at Ireland, they can't get anything done. Got to be a single controlling party or nowt gets done.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Quote from: Red Rackham on November 10, 2022, 07:19:41 PM
I agree, I like the look of Reform, and I like Richard Tice, with one huge proviso. He is dead keen on PR and I am 100% dead against it. I'm a member of the Conservative party, sadly the party is infested with centrists, which is why I considered voting for Reform. But what's putting me off is Richard Tice being so keen on PR.
That doesn't put me off. I think I have always backed PR by party list, which would make almost every vote count. I know it presents some difficulties regarding local representation, but I think it is more democratic than FPTP.
So I'll back Tice and Reform if he puts up people at the next election. Knowing that the FPTP system will likely be highly prejudicial to the party.
† The end is nigh †

Red Rackham

Quote from: Barry on September 13, 2021, 08:57:37 PM
I like the look of Reform.
Richard Tice is eloquent and intelligent. I think he could do a very good job.

Sheepy

Quote from: srb7677 on September 13, 2021, 10:29:16 PM
All it will do - if it achieves anything at all - is split the right wing vote.

Which just risks putting Sir Wet Lettuce of the Woke party into government by default.
Funny that is exactly what the Westminster party said before the EU elections. It didn't mean a thing then or now.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

srb7677

All it will do - if it achieves anything at all - is split the right wing vote.

Which just risks putting Sir Wet Lettuce of the Woke party into government by default.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sheepy

They were 10% today which will for sure be an underestimate, I don't want to say much about it just yet.

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

https://5dd.uk/
https://www.directdemocracyuk.org/
http://www.paparty.co.uk/
https://reformparty.uk/reformisessential/
https://www.goenact.uk/
https://www.albaparty.org/
You are out on a limb all on your own, is that so? we are coming in our own time.
I won't bother you just yet with our international movements.