Good example of spin.

Started by BeElBeeBub, December 11, 2019, 01:17:34 PM

« previous - next »

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=9147 time=1576070254 user_id=88
Tweet from the Sun.

https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/1204704124446613504?s=19">https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/ ... 13504?s=19">https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/1204704124446613504?s=19

Captioned "Boris Johnson surprises an unsuspecting family with a delivery of a milk"

Helpfully the Sun have subtitled the video so when it autoplays with no sound (as many people watch videos) you can follow what's going on.

Except for one, very clearly heard, phrase from the lady who answers the door.

""I didn't realise there would be this many people"

What an odd thing for someone unsuspecting to say when the PM turn up on your door. ....

Of course they weren't unsuspecting they were hand picked and no doubt briefed beforehand.

And I don't have a problem with that.  It's understandable why it would be pre checked and vetted.

I don't even have major issue with them pretending it's "spontaneous" - I'm not comfortable with it, but it's sort of expected to a degree.

What info object to is manipulating the subtitles to miss out that part.  That's no longer being a reporter, that is just being part of the Conservative spin machine.

And yes, I know not to expect impartiality, or even journalism from our tabloid media - but that doesn't mean that I don't think we should.

The all-time Sun classic was, front page: 'Thousands of ecstasy wrappers found at rave by undercover Sun reporters' or similar. Millions across Blighty wondered what a pill "wrapper" actually was. Sometime later it was revealed to be confetti!
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=9280 time=1576107145 user_id=88
The problem for the Tories is that they are running out of potential coalition partners.

The only potential is with any BXP MPs.  Which may happen - and from a hard brexiter PoV be the best outcome because I have no doubt that Johnson would go straight to crash out no deal at the end of Jan to secure the BXP votes.  He just wants to be PM and stuff the collateral damage.

If that doesn't work we are looking at a minority gov (potentially) but that would be even harder to navigate than the previous Parliament.

Otherwise some sort of shaky coalition of SNP/LAB/LD etc might appear.

Another alternative would be the LDs joining with the Cons but the price would be 2ref or even straight revoke. I imagine Johnson would go for that. He would calculate he could always blame the LDs for revoking.

In no scenario except the most extreme polling underestimate of labour support is a labour majority likely.  

That means there is almost zero chance of Corbyn being free to enact his program.  He will almost certainly have to have it compromised by partners*

Right now nobody really knows.  The polls point towards a Tory majority being the most likely outcome.  But the extreme variability of results does mean a hung Parliament is not out of the question.

*The one exception is *if* Corbyn pulls up the electoral upset of the century. If that happens then not only will he be in power but his political capital will be sky high.  He will.be able to purge his party of the moderates and *really* get stuck into his program (and push it further).  That is not something I relish.

But as I'm in a safe seat my vote will have zero impact on this election. I could vote for Cons, Lab, LDs, BXP, Green and my constituency will still return a conservative MP.  So, to some extent, I'm lucky as I don't have to weigh up the choice between two extremely unpalatable choices.

Got a third of the way through and stopped reading. You are clearly smoking something.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick post_id=9271 time=1576103364 user_id=73
You don't think this is a binary choice? 😂

Think you should learn how this works.

Corbyn wants a coalition with SNP... SNP want indy2 in return. Unionists want to remain part on UK so vote Torie.

Who says Labour and the SNP will make up a majority? Is it going to be every party in a coalition except Conservatives?

Oh no, the DUP are never going to join them so Boris buys them back, we have a majority and WTO it is. Hurrah Hurrah Hurrah.

Also...

Do you not see the Tories increasing their vote in Scotland?

BTW to have the choice of forming a coalition you need to get the most votes. Otherwise you have to wait for the others to fail.

Just checked at the 2017 GE result and taking out the DUP and Sin Fein Labour couldn't form a larger majority than the Tories with every other parties combined.

The problem for the Tories is that they are running out of potential coalition partners.

The only potential is with any BXP MPs.  Which may happen - and from a hard brexiter PoV be the best outcome because I have no doubt that Johnson would go straight to crash out no deal at the end of Jan to secure the BXP votes.  He just wants to be PM and stuff the collateral damage.

If that doesn't work we are looking at a minority gov (potentially) but that would be even harder to navigate than the previous Parliament.

Otherwise some sort of shaky coalition of SNP/LAB/LD etc might appear.

Another alternative would be the LDs joining with the Cons but the price would be 2ref or even straight revoke. I imagine Johnson would go for that. He would calculate he could always blame the LDs for revoking.

In no scenario except the most extreme polling underestimate of labour support is a labour majority likely.  

That means there is almost zero chance of Corbyn being free to enact his program.  He will almost certainly have to have it compromised by partners*

Right now nobody really knows.  The polls point towards a Tory majority being the most likely outcome.  But the extreme variability of results does mean a hung Parliament is not out of the question.

*The one exception is *if* Corbyn pulls up the electoral upset of the century. If that happens then not only will he be in power but his political capital will be sky high.  He will.be able to purge his party of the moderates and *really* get stuck into his program (and push it further).  That is not something I relish.

But as I'm in a safe seat my vote will have zero impact on this election. I could vote for Cons, Lab, LDs, BXP, Green and my constituency will still return a conservative MP.  So, to some extent, I'm lucky as I don't have to weigh up the choice between two extremely unpalatable choices.

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=9244 time=1576094867 user_id=88
You miss the posts where I point out is dislike Corbyn intensely and think his policies have major flaws.

Johnson is banking on making this a binary choice between Corbyn and him.

In reality it's between him and a coalition, possibly headed by Corbyn but one which would massively constrain his actions.

It's a mark of how bad I think Johnson's premiership would be that a (massively constrained) Labour coalition, even with Corbyn as PM, is preferable

You don't think this is a binary choice? 😂

Corbyn wants a coalition with SNP... SNP want indy2 in return. Unionists want to remain part on UK so vote Torie.

Who says Labour and the SNP will make up a majority? Is it going to be every party in a coalition except Conservatives?

Oh no, the DUP are never going to join them so Boris buys them back, we have a majority and WTO it is. Hurrah Hurrah Hurrah.

Also...

BTW to have the choice of forming a coalition you need to get the most votes. Otherwise you have to wait for the others to fail.

Just checked at the 2017 GE result and taking out the DUP and Sin Fein Labour couldn't form a larger majority than the Tories with every other parties combined.

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=9244 time=1576094867 user_id=88
You miss the posts where I point out is dislike Corbyn intensely and think his policies have major flaws.

In reality it's between him and a coalition, possibly headed by Corbyn but one which would massively constrain his actions.

It's a mark of how bad I think Johnson's premiership would be that a (massively constrained) Labour coalition, even with Corbyn as PM, is preferable

cromwell

Mod Notice

Oh please everybody grow a thicker skin,the election is tomorrow and we'll all have some more to fall out over,there are bell ends about everywhere some guilty some innocent and not bell ends at all and to others (smurfy)  are you really hurt by that terrible slur that it will haunt you for the rest of your life.

I've been called a clown,idiot,fool,nazi and other things on forums,any chance you could combat it by changing your avatar to a clowns and laugh back at them but please no bell ends  :lol:  :o .

Some comments reluctantly removed,there are worse things to be accused of think of those totally innocent and suffering incarceration or made a pariah.

Can we all get to laugh a little?

Thanks
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Borchester post_id=9198 time=1576085999 user_id=62I worry about that lad. Thank God he has Jeremy Corbyn to do his thinking for him.

Major Sinic

Quote from: Borchester post_id=9198 time=1576085999 user_id=62
Unless you are Bellend who was surprised that it wasn't just another photo op.

I worry about that lad. Thank God he has Jeremy Corbyn to do his thinking for him.

:hattip

Major Sinic

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=9147 time=1576070254 user_id=88
Tweet from the Sun.

https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/1204704124446613504?s=19">https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/ ... 13504?s=19">https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/1204704124446613504?s=19

Captioned "Boris Johnson surprises an unsuspecting family with a delivery of a milk"

Helpfully the Sun have subtitled the video so when it autoplays with no sound (as many people watch videos) you can follow what's going on.

What an odd thing for someone unsuspecting to say when the PM turn up on your door. ....

Of course they weren't unsuspecting they were hand picked and no doubt briefed beforehand.

And I don't have a problem with that.  It's understandable why it would be pre checked and vetted.

I don't even have major issue with them pretending it's "spontaneous" - I'm not comfortable with it, but it's sort of expected to a degree.

What info object to is manipulating the subtitles to miss out that part.  That's no longer being a reporter, that is just being part of the Conservative spin machine.

And yes, I know not to expect impartiality, or even journalism from our tabloid media - but that doesn't mean that I don't think we should.

Are you truly so f****ing naive that you don't realise that this goes on the whole time and not least by the Labour spin machine and no doubt by the Lib Dems, SNP et al as well. My God there are some naive inncocents walking among us.

Borchester

Quote from: Barry post_id=9194 time=1576084977 user_id=51
It's just a bit of election fun, for goodness sake. It doesn't need analysing the the nth degree!  :lol:

Unless you are surprised that it wasn't just another photo op.

I worry about that lad. Thank God he has Jeremy Corbyn to do his thinking for him.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

It's just a bit of election fun, for goodness sake. It doesn't need analysing to the nth degree!  :lol:
† The end is nigh †

BeElBeeBub

Tweet from the Sun.