Main Menu

So would you?

Started by cromwell, September 14, 2021, 12:43:47 AM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on September 14, 2021, 10:17:54 PM
That wasn't the scenario.
Moderator Notice
Meaningless posts will be deleted in the future, Sheepy.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

cromwell

Quote from: Sheepy on September 14, 2021, 12:26:16 PM
Well, I do believe it would as at the first sign of a launch which wasn't expected through trials that very decision would have to be made in seconds.
That wasn't the scenario.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on September 14, 2021, 12:07:27 PM
I know this would be an unpopular view on much of the left, but if I was in charge and the nation was utterly devastated by a Russian nuclear attack, if the capacity for retaliation in some way were intact, yes I would press the button.

And yet - this might sound inconsistent - I would abolish our nuclear weapons if I could. I don't believe the Russians or anyone else is ever going to nuke us. Russia would fear the US nuclear arsenal for one thing. And many of their own elites have their money stashed here.

If we are ever the victim of nuclear attack it is far more likely to be a lone bomb brought here by a terrorist organisation, and such organisations tend to be undercover, often hiding in countries that themselves pose no risk to us. It would be hard to respond with a nuclear strike. We'd probably need conventional military forces to go in and take them out.

F@@@ me sideways with an egg whisk I never thought I'd hear myself saying it but that's the most sensible thing I heard all thread.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

To those who say "you only have seconds"

That's not how it works

The Prime Minister has a job to do on day 1

Sign a letter of last resort.

It postulates this very deed, and requests action

That action is now suggested to be one of

Retaliation
Surrender
Attachment to a surviving friendly nation's defence fleet
Or
Something else entirely

The point is the letter is written. Papasmurfs point that he would be vapourized is accurate, but irrelevant. Were he PM his final instructions to be followed in the event he was now a steaming CO2 burden on the planet would be on the boats and would be read as soon as the rugby time signal was noticed to be absent.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on September 14, 2021, 10:31:24 AM
Being fairly close to our national intelligence centre I always said I would sit by the perimeter fence if I had time to get there, but I have a question. Would the country be completely wiped out in such an attack or just a city/area? I have no idea how selective/powerful the blast might be.  My thought would be very personal - I can't ever imagine being in that position so it's difficult - if we are to be completely wiped out then what do we have to gain by reciprocating? Those nations left would have to decide dependent on their futures/views. If damage would be regional then yes we should retaliate. I am presuming there would be some sort of lead up the the act and not an out of the blue situation.

If it helps

The 1960s Avro Vulcans were our main deterrent.

They were told if they were scrambled, once they had do e the deed, fly on East and settle down with a Siberian blonde as there would be nothing to come home to.

I knew this not because it appeared as a throwaway line in Guy Martin's recent documentary on the plane, but because dad told me a few months before he died of the one occasion he was scrambled to assist with the weapon system on the one day we almost launched.

I have always assumed the UK would be a nuclear slag heap.

West Germany certainly would be.

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on September 14, 2021, 12:07:27 PM

If we are ever the victim of nuclear attack it is far more likely to be a lone bomb brought here by a terrorist organisation,

Probably in a suit case.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on September 14, 2021, 11:39:46 AM
No
Well, I do believe it would as at the first sign of a launch which wasn't expected through trials that very decision would have to be made in seconds.

srb7677

I know this would be an unpopular view on much of the left, but if I was in charge and the nation was utterly devastated by a Russian nuclear attack, if the capacity for retaliation in some way were intact, yes I would press the button.

And yet - this might sound inconsistent - I would abolish our nuclear weapons if I could. I don't believe the Russians or anyone else is ever going to nuke us. Russia would fear the US nuclear arsenal for one thing. And many of their own elites have their money stashed here.

If we are ever the victim of nuclear attack it is far more likely to be a lone bomb brought here by a terrorist organisation, and such organisations tend to be undercover, often hiding in countries that themselves pose no risk to us. It would be hard to respond with a nuclear strike. We'd probably need conventional military forces to go in and take them out.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Quote from: Sheepy on September 14, 2021, 10:55:34 AM
Ah I see sorry about that, but wouldn't it still count from the launch of the first missile not once they had arrived?
No
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on September 14, 2021, 10:42:32 AM
From the OPDo pay attention, Sheepbrain.

The assumption is that command and control is still viable and we have some nuclear subs operational.
The anti missile or pre-emptive option has long gone.

Ah I see sorry about that, but wouldn't it still count from the launch of the first missile not once they had arrived?

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on September 14, 2021, 10:42:32 AM
From the OPDo pay attention, Sheepbrain.

The assumption is that command and control is still viable and we have some nuclear subs operational.

Oh dear sorry that applies to me too. So yes if we are able to counter then we should. Anything that aims to destroy us should be reciprocated.

Barry

Quote from: Sheepy on September 14, 2021, 10:05:02 AM
Firstly you would need to know launch time in seconds being around about 8 seconds the speed of the missile being around 27 times the speed of sound and then work out how long you have to return fire, then you need to consider the speed of your own missiles and or who could destroy them before they hit the target. I am sure Barry can then work out how many seconds decision time you have.
From the OP
Quoteyou are PM the UK [HIGHLIGHT]has been attacked with nuclear missiles by Russia and the country is devastated.[/HIGHLIGHT]
Do pay attention, Sheepbrain.

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on September 14, 2021, 10:31:24 AM
Being fairly close to our national intelligence centre I always said I would sit by the perimeter fence if I had time to get there, but I have a question. Would the country be completely wiped out in such an attack or just a city/area?

Frankly it would be better to die than survive.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Being fairly close to our national intelligence centre I always said I would sit by the perimeter fence if I had time to get there, but I have a question. Would the country be completely wiped out in such an attack or just a city/area? I have no idea how selective/powerful the blast might be.  My thought would be very personal - I can't ever imagine being in that position so it's difficult - if we are to be completely wiped out then what do we have to gain by reciprocating? Those nations left would have to decide dependent on their futures/views. If damage would be regional then yes we should retaliate. I am presuming there would be some sort of lead up the the act and not an out of the blue situation.

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on September 14, 2021, 09:53:33 AM
If it has got to that stage use your weapons to kill as many of your current enemies as possible, starting with Putin, if we have any ideas where he is.
There's no turning the other cheek for this.
Firstly you would need to know launch time in seconds being around about 8 seconds the speed of the missile being around 27 times the speed of sound and then work out how long you have to return fire, then you need to consider the speed of your own missiles and or who could destroy them before they hit the target. I am sure Barry can then work out how many seconds decision time you have.