Main Menu

Aukus

Started by Nick, September 16, 2021, 01:56:27 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on September 16, 2021, 08:56:53 PM
Not when it comes to American military bases in Japan, there have been demonstrations and protests about it for many years. Far too many to list. Do a Google on:- Japan protests about American bases

I can't see anything since 2019, perhaps they have more to worry about now.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on September 16, 2021, 08:48:27 PM
If nothing else the Japanese can be very pragmatic and obedient to their government.

Not when it comes to American military bases in Japan, there have been demonstrations and protests about it for many years. Far too many to list. Do a Google on:- Japan protests about American bases
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on September 16, 2021, 08:19:49 PM
The other possible factor is the Japanese public, (as opposed the Japanese government,) does not like American submarines being based in Japan. (Or any American bases in Japan.)

I have a feeling that China is more of a worry and on their doorstep for them to be too concerned. If nothing else the Japanese can be very pragmatic and obedient to their government.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 16, 2021, 07:39:27 PM

So it's hardly a surprise a security arrangement allowing such boats as the VSEL fleet to be serviced and harboured in the Australian outback has China worried.

The other possible factor is the Japanese public, (as opposed the Japanese government,) does not like American submarines being based in Japan. (Or any American bases in Japan.)

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on September 16, 2021, 07:32:21 PM
No, Toots. I think AUKUS has declared the EU a "third country".
;D ;D ;D ;D
Where one of its members (France) came fourth.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on September 16, 2021, 12:11:25 PM
I suspect it is a precursor for a nuclear submarine maintenance facility in Australia for all three nations.

Ooh

One of the hypothetical, publicly announced (and therefore probably totally fictional) options in the letters of last resort in our own nuclear boats for use we hen someone turns the UK into radioactive slag is "to join up with other allied forces and provide whatever service they can to that command"

So it's hardly a surprise a security arrangement allowing such boats as the VSEL fleet to be serviced and harboured in the Australian outback has China worried.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

No, Toots. I think AUKUS has declared the EU a "third country".
;D ;D ;D ;D
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on September 16, 2021, 07:13:40 PM
The EU is now going nuts because they weren't included in the talks about Aukus. Can someone explain why on earth they would expect to be!
Because they're the most important bloc in the world......ask Gerry. ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

The EU is now going nuts because they weren't included in the talks about Aukus. Can someone explain why on earth they would expect to be!

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on September 16, 2021, 04:27:43 PM
That is an out and out lie.

The EU kept details of how compliant EU states were to various EU rules, laws and regulations, and the UK was always close to the top in compliance. The Mediterranean coast nations were some of the worst.

Indeed, had the UK been more inclined to break a few rules we would probably still be in the EU. Many Brits felt that the UK was far to subservient to Brussels and at the referendum voted accordingly. Had Dave Cameron returned from any of his various meetings with the EU and said, well I have just had a chat with our foreign friends and I must say that I found it most amusing. Not bad fellows but seemed to have some idea that I gave a toss for whatever they were jabbering about. Finally I had to tell them that like God, we are British and that is all they need know.

Had Cameron ever said anything like that the UK would still be in the EU and he would still be PM. But he didn't and he ain't
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 16, 2021, 05:22:45 PM
You really should take up cryptic clue devising for crosswords. Or perhaps I could try my hand at mind reading. But in the meantime would you care to give a few examples of EU rules/regs/directives the UK ignored while it was a member..?

Just a sample:-
https://ec.europa.eu/environment/legal/law/press_en.htm

20/02/2014: Commission takes action against UK for persistent air pollution problems

06/04/2011: Commission takes UK to court over excessive cost of challenging decisions

03/06/2010: Air quality: Commission sends final warning to UK over levels of fine particle pollution

18/03/2010: Commission warns UK about unfair cost of challenging decisions

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on September 16, 2021, 04:48:35 PM

Those are just a small part of EU regulations.
You really should take up cryptic clue devising for crosswords. Or perhaps I could try my hand at mind reading. But in the meantime would you care to give a few examples of EU rules/regs/directives the UK ignored while it was a member..?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 16, 2021, 04:47:00 PM
But I've not noticed large scale intentional disregard of EU rules in the UK's business, economic an industrial sectors — though the occasional retailer and market trader has occasionally made noise about sticking to lbs and oz...

Those are just a small part of EU regulations.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on September 16, 2021, 04:38:26 PM
It is NOT a lie. Britain has been waiving the rules for a very long time.
But I've not noticed large scale intentional disregard of EU rules in the UK's business, economic an industrial sectors — though the occasional retailer and market trader has occasionally made noise about sticking to lbs and oz...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 16, 2021, 04:27:43 PM
That is an out and out lie.

It is NOT a lie. Britain has been waiving the rules for a very long time.