Main Menu

Aukus

Started by Nick, September 16, 2021, 01:56:27 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 17, 2021, 07:54:43 PM

I haven't cherry picked anything. You said the industry was DEAD, that means no life,

Where I live it is, bivalve mollusc businesses shut down in early January, boats sold off, crew and shore staff laid off. 2000 year old fishery gone forever.
What you cherry picked ONE supplier is not specifying is precisely where they are getting stock from.
(I cannot find any locally produced mussels, it looks as if I will have to go and harvest them for myself.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on September 17, 2021, 07:54:43 PM

I haven't cherry picked anything. You said the industry was DEAD, that means no life, and the first one I came across is doing great. You were wrong, do I have to waste my time going finding others or are you going to accept you were wrong?

Answers on a post card to PO Box.....
He said wher he lived its dead, do you know exactly where he lives, is that company you quote located there and how do you know that co isnt about to close or for that matter its stopped trading but its site is still up.

This is the reality
https://thefishsite.com/articles/the-eu-bivalve-trade-ban-is-killing-business-for-britains-shellfish-farmers
Lies from DEFRA and the UK falling in line with all other 3rd countries, with rules that were known about pre brexit.
The article suggests there should be a derogation, in other words an exception. Who would have thought it, UK Exceptionalism.

These businesses will partly fail, others will adjust, downsize and survive. But the export market looks like its needlessly gone, because of the type of brexit the UK went for.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2021, 05:40:52 PM
Nick yet again you cherry pick.  Just because that ONE has not gone out of business many others involved in the bivalve mollusc industry  have.
They ceased trading  months ago because around 95% of their business was export.

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2021, 01:58:47 PM
That is not settled and not likely to be, the bivalve mollusc industry where I live is now [HIGHLIGHT]dead.[/HIGHLIGHT]

I haven't cherry picked anything. You said the industry was DEAD, that means no life, and the first one I came across is doing great. You were wrong, do I have to waste my time going finding others or are you going to accept you were wrong?

Answers on a post card to PO Box.....
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Well a lot of molluscs like crustaceans are filter feeders,I love shellfish but haven't eaten it for years.

I got food poisoning at a fancy venue from shellfish and thought I was about to die.

I understand why it was barred by the jewish religion.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 17, 2021, 02:04:48 PM
You really need to open your front door and take a look outside.
It seems the doom and gloom only exists inside your house.

Somebody better tell Cornish Shellfish that they have gone out of business cause they think they're doing fine.

https://cornishshellfish.com/

Nick yet again you cherry pick.  Just because that ONE has not gone out of business many others involved in the bivalve mollusc industry  have.
They ceased trading  months ago because around 95% of their business was export.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 17, 2021, 05:19:29 PM
Nonsense or not, it's a fact.   
Depuration is now required before the molluscs can be shipped from the UK.

Which is the nonsense, it is unnecessary

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2021, 04:48:07 PM
Locally produced French molluscs have to have that done before sale to the public as well.
So the ban on imports from parts of Britain is a nonsense.
Nonsense or not, it's a fact.   
Depuration is now required before the molluscs can be shipped from the UK. The UK suppliers claim this lessens shelf life and causes too many to die before reaching their destination, which means another bout of depuration is necessary upon arrival, reducing both quantity and taste quality...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 17, 2021, 03:28:38 PM
Depuration is not sterilisation. Prior to January 2021 shellfish from class B waters in member states could be shipped into France for depuration there...

Locally produced French molluscs have to have that done before sale to the public as well.
So the ban on imports from parts of Britain is a nonsense.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on September 17, 2021, 03:17:12 PM
No point missed at all no matter what the origin foreign or domestic ALL bivalve molluscs have to be sterilised by the "viviers" in France before they can be sold to the public. (The reason being French domestic production suffers from regular disease and other problems.) The ban by the EU is a total nonsense and George Useless should have sorted out what is a non problem back in January.
Depuration is not sterilisation. Prior to January 2021 shellfish from class B waters in member states could be shipped into France for depuration there...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 17, 2021, 02:04:19 PM
You miss the point — seafood from these waters had special dispensation and was OK for export under a membership agreement while the UK was in the EU...

No point missed at all no matter what the origin foreign or domestic ALL bivalve molluscs have to be sterilised by the "viviers" in France before they can be sold to the public. (The reason being French domestic production suffers from regular disease and other problems.) The ban by the EU is a total nonsense and George Useless should have sorted out what is a non problem back in January.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on September 17, 2021, 01:39:54 PM
To be fair the man in the street of every colour stripe has questioned the sense of our utilities being sold off. It makes us too easy a target to be held to ransom which has been used several times in recent years.  If a serious argument were to really kick off, far from us having influence, we would be at the mercy of any and every foreign power with ownership here. It has always been a blinkered policy. It's at the back of my mind but didn't EU rules ban Government money being used to save failing businesses or is that another home grown myth?

It never stopped Italy and Spain from propping up failing football teams if I remember right. As John said, it only applied to the U.K. When the city took other EU financial institutes to the ECJ for breaking the rules they always lost even though they were in the right.
In my experience, most of the questioning of Maggie's privatisations stem from prices charged.   
While telephone and post, energy, water charges, and fares were usually set and/approved by politicians with their eyes on the polls, the actual service provided were poor compared to what's offered now — eg, the Post Master General used to regularly report the number of people of on the telephone waiting list.
Things are not perfect, but I bet most of the public has never bothered to look into the records of nationalised industries or, I suspect, questioned their parents and grandparents about their memories of British Rail, telephone waiting lists, power cuts, etc...

Football clubs are a murky financial sector of their own — but I suspect they mostly alway have been as local business leaders used them for their own purposes...

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on September 17, 2021, 02:04:48 PM
It seems the doom and gloom only exists inside your
Oh no it doesn't
https://images.app.goo.gl/pVZYTfsaLmK7kc4o9
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

That is not settled and not likely to be, the bivalve mollusc industry where I live is now dead.

It seems the doom and gloom only exists inside your house.

Somebody better tell Cornish Shellfish that they have gone out of business cause they think they're doing fine.

https://cornishshellfish.com/
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

That is not settled and not likely to be, the bivalve mollusc industry where I live is now dead.
You miss the point — seafood from these waters had special dispensation and was OK for export under a membership agreement while the UK was in the EU...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 17, 2021, 01:53:42 PM
as in fish from uncertified clean waters — by negotiation and agreement.